FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Summer Football?

djh222

Worth a try. The argument that international stars leave the league holds absolutely no water as Russia and the Ukraine prove. Also, success in the European cups is very possible with a summer league, as Russia and the Ukraine prove, too.

No problems with the scandinavian model that McNamara is talking about, running from March to November. Because this model works in a lot of northern Europe, there is ample scope for pre-season opposition to be available. If FIFA are already looking (and they are) at moving the next world cup after Brazil to winter because it's volcanically hot in the gulf in summer) it might just get us prepared! Pitches would be better - just look at the state of various sufaces we have played on this year - and less floodlights and undersoil heating would be better for growing that green stuff they call grass, even in Dingwall. Not getting hypothermia or having to travel on roads that need ploughed would be good. Given that climate change is causing the weather to go a bit mental everywhere, McNamara and Smith might have a point but it would need a lot to convince the not so jolly green giants of Glasgow to go with it. 11:1 voting anyone?

• Agree 1

i think this is a great idea. It would have a good effect on getting fair weather supportes out. I admit I am one of them, as I travel a lot for my work and the idea of spending a bleak winter afternoon/evening on one of the few days I am at home is not appealing. But watching it in relative warmth of the summer would encourage me to make more of an effort.

I also think it may encourage parents to take kids along to the games as well. The better weather make it less of a chore and with the kids on summer holidays at what would be mid season would increase the number further.

When you add in less costs for under soil heating and electricity for flood lights the benefits to all clubs is clear.

The point made above about better performance in Europe in the intial stages is true as well and may at least get us another place in europe.

• Agree 1