FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Denis Law Tournament - ICT Interest

RiG

Probably something of interest to Aberdeen based ICT fans but our youth team is playing in this years tournament again.

http://www.aberdeensportsvillage.com/denis-law-soccer/fixtures-results/

They play Aberdeen on Thursday 18th @ 12:00 at Kings then Motherwell on the same day @ 19:00 with their final group game on Friday @ 15:00 against Sunderland.

Worth going along to see some of our future stars (hopefully).

Easy 6 - 1 win for ICT against a really poor Motherwell side who were shambolic at defending crossed balls. I think 4 or 5 of our goals came from headers. We also scored a penalty as well which saw the Well keeper booked and then sent off for handling the ball outside the area. With their other keeper already used in the first half Well ended up playing one of their defenders in goal for the rest of the match.

A lot of hoof balls at times but also some good passing play on display from ICT. Sometimes the final ball was just not right and drained the pace from an attack but they looked good on the counter and when working the ball down the flanks. Defence was solid as well with the monstrous number 18 dealing with everything in the air at the back and also weighing in with a couple of goals.

Charlie Christie was raging at points during the game, especially with the referee. Good to see he still gets so worked up.

Watched the lads again today as they fell to a 2 - 1 defeat against Albion Boys Club. I think they can consider themselves very unlucky to have lost but it was a lesson in taking your chances in a game where ICT were probably the better side but two lapses at the back were punished with goals whilst some of the Albion errors weren't always taken advantage of. 

After a goalless first half Inverness opened the scoring from  the result of a defensive mix up. Corner swung in and a couple of wild swipes by Albion players failed to clear it and it fell to one of the ICT lads who shot high into the net.

Albion drew level not too long after ICT subbed their goalie with the replacement unable to claim a free kick that was lifted into the box. He came far too far out of his goal and was unable to connect with the ball which, after a couple of deflections, ended up in the ICT net.

Albion were in the ascendancy and were fired up but it was still Inverness that were creating the better chances. In the end though after ICT passed up another half decent chance to grab a winner Albion broke forward to score a crucial second goal. A long clearance bounced high over an Inverness defender who had just mistimed his jump and the ball skimmed off his head. An Albion player dashed in to coolly lob the ball over the onrushing keeper. A really good finish but a cruel blow for ICT who, as I say, were the better team over the course of the game.

They play Motherwell tomorrow at 10:00 in the Consolation 3rd / 4th place play off. Hopefully they can repeat their 6 - 1 drubbing of The "Steelboys" 

Very entertaining final game yesterday against Motherwell which ICT eventually won 5 - 4. Mothwerwell took the lead but ICT came much more into the game towards the end of the first half and dominated most of the second period. Well took the lead with a penalty which was initially saved but had to be retaken because of encroachment. The retaken spot kick was again saved but the Well player followed in to score. Harsh on the ICT keeper who made two terrific stops.

ICT were soon back in it and raced into a 3 - 1 lead. All three goals were from horrendous Motherwell defending. The first and third goals were the results of free kicks being lifted into the box and, as mentioned earlier, Motherwell simply did not appear capable of defending any crossed balls. Both set pieces lead to very easy goals for ICT. In between those strikes there was some awful defending at the back. One of the Well players, who does not look U16 at all, got into a right mess and played the ball past his own keeper who was now stranded out of his goal which was unguarded. The wee no. 8 for ICT was on the ball in a flash and calmly stroked the ball into the net.

ICT scored their 4th when the impressive no. 9 was played in behind the Well defence and although his first shot was blocked he followed it up to dispatch the ball into the net. Well struck back with a superb team goal. Some quick passing down the ICT right carved open the defence and the Well player found the net with ease. ICT made it 4 - 2 with the pick of the goals coming from no. 14 for ICT. He strode onto the ball from just outside the area and unleashed a half volley into the roof of the net. Very good finish.

However, Motherwell were able to grab another couple of goals to ensure a nervy finish. Their third came from poor defending by ICT at a corner. Unable to clear the ball eventually found its way to a Well player to poke it into the net. And Motherwells 4th cranked up the pressure on ICT. A superb defence splitting pass allowed one of the Motherwell youngsters to lob the onrushing ICT keeper to ensure a nailbiting finish.

Really enjoyable matches to take in. ICT can count themselves very unlucky not to have won the group after conceding a last minute equaliser to Sheffield United. Had they kept them out then they would have gone through as group winners. Some good players on show as well. I don't think most of the guys kept the same numbers throughout the tournament, maybe they did, but on the final day I was impressed with the lad wearing no 16. who I was later told was Ali Sutherland. He looks a bit like Aaron Doran but seemed to play as a box to box midfielder as part of a midfield two. He was solid defensively and had endless energy to get up and down the pitch. His ball control was excellent under pressure and, although he didn't display much skill, he used the ball wisely and kept play ticking over. My pick of the ICT lads from what I saw.

Also impressive was no. 9 who I think is called Chris Blackett. He seemed to score most of the goals (based on the information on the Aberdeen Sports Village website). Quite tall, very strong forward. Excellent at holding the ball up and bringing others into play. Hopefully we'll see some of these guys in the first team in the years ahead.

Edited by RiG
Blackett not Flackett.
  • Agree 2