FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Wanted man - Mackie WHY?

dunco

Said in the highland news that Darren Mackie is wanted by CC. WHY?

I know he is the dons top scorer with 8 goals, but he never scored for us when we got him on loan at the start of 2004 making 8 appearances.

But good news is that Brown and Dargo are staying put, but Dods could still be on his way.

He is a lightning quick striker that is a good finisher, excellent header of the ball, who has the ability to run past players. He can also play wide, like he did when on loan at ICT (one of the reasons he struggled to score for us)

His strike rate at Aberdeen is poor over the long term, but if you take in the fact that a lot of those appearances were from the bench, he played out wide alot of the time, and other appearances were when Aberdeen were a poor attacking side...

He is playing very well for aberdeen nowadays, and showed that on wednesday against Hibs.

I for one would like him in a ICT shirt, as long as we aren't paying over the odds/or losing a player in exchange.

Here's the full story...

CALEY Thistle could be set to swoop for Aberdeen’s top scorer Darren Mackie – and keep their three top stars till at least the summer.

With the two North SPL rivals preparing to meet at Pittodrie this weekend, the Highland News understands that Charlie Christie is keen to bring the striker back to Inverness. The 25-year-old was on loan at ICT back in January 2004, but illness kept him on the sidelines and he made just eight appearances for the club, without scoring.

However, under Jimmy Calderwood, Mackie has been impressive and leads their scoring chart this term with eight goals. It’s this kind of form that has made the Inverness club sit up and notice.

However, at times he’s had a rough time from Reds fans and may be interested in a fresh challenge. Caley Thistle are believed to be keen now to chat to the Dons about a possible move.

Meanwhile, Caley Thistle are growing in confidence that they may yet win the battle to retain goalkeeper Mark Brown and striker Craig Dargo, with Darren Dods being the only one moving, simply due to his desire to be located closer to his home in the south.

Brown, Dargo and Dods are the most wanted trio, with their contracts due to expire in a few month’s time.

Scotland Future star Brown is the latest to attract attention, with Falkirk speaking to the player.

The 25-year-old will discuss before the weekend his verdict on those talks and listen to ICT’s determined bid to keep him in the Highlands.

No matter what happens though, Christie confirmed: “I have heard no different than to believe that these players will be here until at least May. I would be delighted if as many as possible decided their futures were at Caley Thistle, but I am also well aware that they will have other offers because they have done so well. I have urged the director of football and the chairman to ensure they make – not just Mark – the best offer possible. We can do no more after that. I can sell the football and training side of the club and that these players are hugely valuable assets to Caley Thistle. But, as we know in football these days, finance can dictate more than anything. I am delighted to hear the direction the chairman and director of football want to go with the club, but we are also aware that we have got to live within our means. We have done in the past – and we will do in the future.

Darren Mackie in action a fortnight ago against Dundee United – now he’s a target for Caley Thistle. Pic: Trevor Martin

“They will also realise that the club has done well for them too. We have been a great vehicle for them to show their potential. Mark, to be fair, bought a house here two years ago, while Craig Dargo and Darren Dods were different, although they have been tremendous professionals.

“We speak about these guys a lot, but there are others that have had incredibly good seasons – such as Roy McBain, Richard Hastings, Graham Bayne and Grant Munro. The pleasing thing for me is that, having signed up nine players, we still have that solid backbone. The players know how highly the club rate them.”

On Brown’s Falkirk talks, the manager said: “Falkirk were decent enough to tell us. There was no necessity for them to notify our club, but John Hughes and Brian Rice (Bairns’ management team) get on well with myself and Donald Park and they were good enough to tell in advance that they would be speaking to Mark with a view to the end of the season.”

Skipper Stuart Golabek and midfielder Liam Keogh are keen to grab a loan switch in a bid to get regular first-team football, Christie revealed. He explained: “Liam and Stuart have just spoken to me and intimated that they would like to go out on loan. Liam has to get back fully fit first, of course. The players want to look at every avenue before the window closes. Ross County will touch base again about Stuart Golabek, I spoke to them on Friday, but await more contact.”

Christie refused to comment on a potential move for Ross County captain Don Cowie, but it’s understood that a deal will be done in this transfer window, as the HN told you before Christmas.

He was supposed to be getting a new deal at Aberdire after some good form recently but I think Calderwood has been holding off to see if he extends this good run of form. I don't think we will get him but I think he would be a good signing for us if somehow we got around to getting his signature.

Mackie and Miller are very much first choice at Aberdeen though so I can't see it happening.

It's all specualtion, nothing in that from anyone connected to the club say we have made any move for him.

Lazy journalism, all they do is trawl through the archives for this exact same story every time the transfer window opens.

Darren Mackie  :015:  :012:

No doubt he's a decent attacker now than when he was on loan to us but FFS this story by the Highland Snooze is nauseous  :017:

The guy is more than likely out of our price range anyway as far as wages will be concerned.

If the paper actually went for proper story's rather than searching the archives following lost causes it may actually get some respect, Always has and Always will be a Ross County paper to me, Wouldn't wipe my **** with it.

The Snooze should stick more to exclusives from County and Clach and let the big teams (get that Christie, we are no longer a small club :010: I know that might be a shock to you!) get on with the more reliable newspapers.

Darren Mackie  :015: Whats their next story going to be, Robbie Winters to ICT to follow in his brother's footsteps of searching for a fresh start in the Highlands. complete and utter joke of a paper :008:

The Highland News is a shocking paper.  They filled the back page with this ****?  Utter garbage.

I suspect they take whatever rumours are on this site to write up as a "story" and then run it on the back page.

I have a lot of admiration for Mackie. He is a great example of a loyal football player. There are many times he could have left the dons to get 1st team footie but he's stuck to his guns, produced the form and goals and got a new contract.