FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

John Hughes

Azgaz

Guest Mahonio

I agree that it isn't Yogi's fault and hope he can alert our slump quickly because Aberdeen and Well are going well with Hibs and United catching up on us.

Can see us turning corner quite quickly tbh, maybe starting away at Motherwell on Sat afternoon :-).

Things obviously have been made more difficult for John Hughes with the absence of Richie Foran leading and motivating the team. I think John Hughes should look to be a more interactive and motaviting on the dugout as I've yet to see that happening but again I'm positive that will come over time.

Having a lack of leadership on the park is one thing, but it's the job of the management to motivate the players, whether Foran's in there or not.  His absence is no excuse.

Richie always ran the show on the pitch. Of course, as I said in my post that I have yet to to see John actually motivate the players from the dugout (only when things went tits up vs County and Aberdeen)

Foran's being missed, there's no doubt about that, but not having him there is no reason for the players to be so unmotivated though.  They didn't look particularly up for it yesterday and haven't really done so since the second half of the Aberdeen game.  I haven't seen the heads drop after going a goal down yesterday like that since the Brewster days.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2

Things obviously have been made more difficult for John Hughes with the absence of Richie Foran leading and motivating the team. I think John Hughes should look to be a more interactive and motaviting on the dugout as I've yet to see that happening but again I'm positive that will come over time.

Having a lack of leadership on the park is one thing, but it's the job of the management to motivate the players, whether Foran's in there or not.  His absence is no excuse.

Richie always ran the show on the pitch. Of course, as I said in my post that I have yet to to see John actually motivate the players from the dugout (only when things went tits up vs County and Aberdeen)

Foran's being missed, there's no doubt about that, but not having him there is no reason for the players to be so unmotivated though.  They didn't particularly up for it yesterday and haven't really done so since the second half of the Aberdeen game.  I haven't seen the heads drop after going a goal down yesterday like that since the Brewster days.

Of course, I totally agree but as I said Butcher's departure will have played a massive part of it and maybe leaving it nearly 4 weeks to appoint a manager was too long but I well and truly hope this is a wake up call to players and to management team. You could see how gutted some of the players were to lose the game, with some looking like they lost a major cup final.

Regarding Duncan Shearer being assistant, I'm not too sure to be honest. Don't get me wrong he's a decent guy but I just don't think it suits him and John Hughes needs a more experienced No. 2 like Maurice Malpas is to Butcher.

• Agree 1

I agree that it isn't Yogi's fault and hope he can alert our slump quickly because Aberdeen and Well are going well with Hibs and United catching up on us.

Can see us turning corner quite quickly tbh, maybe starting away at Motherwell on Sat afternoon :-).

Why not?  Would you also say the upturn in Hibs' fortune is nothing to do with Butcher?  Both just some weird coincidence.  I doubt it personally.

If its Foran who is raising the team then it should have been him who was made manager. The players have coped without him in the past and there is no excuse for them not to this time around.

Yogi needs to be more active in the dugout, that I agree with. Too many times yesterday he even had his back turned. I hope he isnt too concerned about tainting "Terry's legacy" as he has often referred to. He needs to stop talking about it as Terry's team. Its his team now. Talking about Terry wont help. 

• Agree 4

There were far too many folk on this forum 'talking-up' Hughes when he came here.

Artificial, fawning over a complete managerial journeyman.

It's interesting to look back at the 'New Manager thread' to see just who was apparently, 'actually quite pleased' (or more!) at his appointment. Obviously won't specifically name the posters, but the thread's there to view. It's strange how it's gone silent - those folk who lauded his 'motivational skills' and 'work ethic' and 'good record'(!) etc. aren't quite so vocal now in expressing their faux ("must support the club whatever") delight at JH's appointment. 

I kid you not, but some 'happy clappers' would find a positive in ANYTHING the club did. That's not being a fan, but rather naively trusting blindly and unquestioningly the choice of a businessman who knows little about actuall football. No wonder Bennett wanted to distance himself. Say,Hughes appointed Tich MacCooey as assistant manager but didn't tell us until much later it was a wind-up, I guarantee there'd be support for MacCooey on here! 'Good local contacts' and other meaningless sound bites.

I was scathing from the off, but am now convinced he doesn't fit here. He's somehow struggling to impart his ideas onto the players - maybe he's lost them already.

But we've got Hughes for the season and for all of next. And the season after that! Let's get used to mediocrity.

• Agree 2

Guest Mahonio

Starchief, of course Tel has made a difference to Hibs, he has them playing like he did with us, hard to beat and defensively solid AND scoring, all of which were lacking under Fenlon.

I AM beginning to question Hughes but am not going to call for his sacking after less than 2months in job as that would be ludicrous, my above post which was replied to was to guage opinion on how long posters on here reckon will be given to a boss who wasn't 1st choice of board or supporters.

Yogi like every other manager in worlds kens he's in a results based position but he also knows time will be given just like Danny Lennon and Allan Johnston who are now benefitting from boards patience.

There were far too many folk on this forum 'talking-up' Hughes when he came here.

It's interesting to look back at the 'New Manager thread' to see just who was apparently, 'actually quite pleased' (or more!) at his appointment. Obviously won't specifically name the posters, but the thread's there to view. It's strange how it's gone silent - those folk who lauded his 'motivational skills' and 'work ethic' and 'good record'(!) etc. aren't quite so vocal now in expressing their faux ("must support the club whatever") delight at JH's appointment. 

I kid you not, but some 'happy clappers' would find a positive in ANYTHING the club did. That's not being a fan, but rather naively trusting blindly and unquestioningly the choice of a businessman who knows little about actuall football. No wonder Bennett wanted to distance himself. Say,Hughes appointed Tich MacCooey as assistant manager but didn't tell us until much later it was a wind-up, I guarantee there'd be support for MacCooey on here! 'Good local contacts' and other meaningless sound bites.

I was scathing from the off, but am now convinced he doesn't fit here. He's somehow struggling to impart his ideas onto the players - maybe he's lost them already.

But we've got Hughes for the season and for all of next. And the season after that! Let's get used to mediocrity.

Sadly, I agree. I think we may have to put our ambitions for our club on hold for the next two and a half years and hope that we are still in the top division at the end of it and that we get the managerial appointment right next time around.

Edited by Kingsmills

To say that John Hughes doesn't fit here only after about 4 weeks in charge is really harsh. So, who would have been a better option than John Hughes (Paul Hartley excluded due to reason he declined) that mouthpiece Kenny Shiels or the very inexperienced Paul Telfer.

In no way am I happy clapping by being supportive of John Hughes. John Hughes was never my first choice and probably never made my top 10 choices of managers but he is the manager of our football club and as a supporter of the club I am putting aside my thoughts and giving the manager time to bed in with the team and get an understanding with each other.

Sure results haven't been pretty on the eyes but give the man time to get his own ideas implemented in the team. The injuries that we currently have are playing a massive part in the results aswell. We really need Richie Foran driving the team forward, we need David Raven at RB because we are conceding a lot of goals from the right hand side and I wouldn't put it past other managers taking heed and getting advantage out of it. We are badly needing James Vincent playing behind Billy Mckay and getting Nick Ross back on the wings where at the start of the season played the best I had seen in a long time.

Success won't happen overnight but jesus let John Hughes get in the door first and give him time. Look what happened when we gave Terry Butcher time to gel a team together.

• Agree 7

You could hardly say a slump was inevitable with Butcher going?

We won both managerless games, we re-signed Foran and were all caught up.in the new manager rumours, people were apprehensive about what was coming next out of excitement rather than fear.

It was a chance to regroup and start again, on a far more positive footing than ever before, all spurred on by the motivation to stick it to Terry by carrying on... reality was Kenny Cameron ****-ing us all over with his BS public relations chat about diligence and patience.

Still no assistant now, did Hughes say during this thorough interview process 'a dinnae ken like, ull hink aboot at'?

Guest Mahonio

Poor Yogi is under unfair pressure on this thread, in fact, its getting like Lomas at Millwall and McLeish at Villa where some fans are waiting for him to fail so they can shout for his head!

Also it is really harsh to complain about him not having assistant yet, Duncan Shearer is currently assistant and whose to say he won't remain assistant.

I am sure Man Utd fans are happy you were not rustling up this sort of rubbish about Alex Ferguson 25 years ago.

His attempt to stamp his management ideas took longer than you are offering John Hughes.

Maybe Hughes is not a good fit for us but at least we should offer him a fair crack of the whip before condemning him.

Have a wee look at Rig's footers and see the nonsense fans offer on here. ( Butcher go home/Butcher is wonderful) - by the same poster!!

A couple of wins and we will be goodness and light and we will be ready to take on Europe.

Probably safe to say the honeymoon is over then.

The thing is, I fully expected a slump in form at some point this season. It happens to pretty much every team, even title winners have sticky patches. I also thought that we were perhaps in a false position. Now it only takes something minor to knock the train off track. We lost one of our longest serving managers and builder of this team. Terry Butcher was always going to be a very hard act to follow.

Thing is at the moment I am slightly concerned yes. It's natural when you haven't won in 5 games and lost 3 of your last 6 under the new manager (all by a single goal though I must stress). In every game we've lost we've given the opposition a stupid head start and not been able to recover.

However had we won yesterday, that would have been a second win to add to 2 draws and 2 defeats against quality opposition. 8 from 18. Satisfactory. It shows the fine line in games.

I'm still happy to give Hughes the rub of the green. He wasn't my 1st choice. I thought we were getting an old head from England. That was the route the board implied. I was quite happy with that.

For those who have taken the hump because Hartley never took/got the job I say get real. Just because a manager does well in the lower divisions does not mean he will in the top flight. See Ian McCall. Sheils had to settle for the Morton job. Was that our other choice?

The main problem I see with Hughes is his unwillingness to upset Terry's boys. He appears as though he doesn't want to step on anybody's toes. He has to get tough with them and get them working hard to rectify the issues we've seen in the last few weeks that have cost us games. As said above it's his team now and Butchers legacy counts for nothing. You're only as good as your last result and that was a loss to County at home. Therefore things need sorted.

I don't think he'll be a great gaffer, nor a terrible one. I can't see us becoming all conquering but I can't see us falling down either. I'll take mid table, and so would most realistic ICT fans. We'll have ups and downs and yo yo. I can take that.

• Agree 2

I am sure Man Utd fans are happy you were not rustling up this sort of rubbish about Alex Ferguson 25 years ago.

His attempt to stamp his management ideas took longer than you are offering John Hughes.

lol

If hughes had recently won the second tier european trophy with Aberdeen, I think we'd be prepared to give him a decade to get it right.

Man United were not Second when Ferguson took over.

What exactly is this John Hughes stamp youre waiting for?

Stop trotting utter garbbage, the people will soon be voting with thier feet and Cameron is the one who should pay the price, not Hughes.

I am without any logical reason coming round to the new gaffer.

I judge on what he and the players have said since his appointment.

Especially our captain.

In a few weeks we'll kinda know how things are panning out.

Until then its wait and see as this is the part of the season we generally tend to have a slump.

I aint #teamyogi yet but am definitely more open minded

onwards and upwards and lets keep it goin and lets be honest if we remain in a good position top 6 and hump the dwellers on the 1st then ah'll be fairly convinced it was the right choice after all.

Finally after seen the sceptic destroy everything in their path domestically recently probably best to discount any humping we may receive from them in our analysis of hughes as our manager"

That's a quote from when he was appointed from another fan, who fully expects the mid season slump. One we've come to expect no less. Yet it seems to have shocked everyone and it's all due to the inability of 1.

Butcher did of course do well over the long-term.  I also remember him giving a real boost to a virtually relegated team to a team that almost made it.

If a slump was inevitable, why did we bring in a manager?  Aren't they supposed to have ways around a slump, especially to a team that, barring docked points, would have been bottom on a quite terrible run?  What's the point of bringing someone in if there's nothing he can do about it?  Save the money and carry on managerless until the slump (that was fated to come) is over.  Presumably that's simple destiny too and nothing to do with tactics and team selection?

That said, I am prepared to give Yogi til the end of the season (or at least the split) as there's no point calling for his head soon after being employed.  I'd be delighted if he turned it around but I'm not hopeful.

lol

If hughes had recently won the second tier european trophy with Aberdeen, I think we'd be prepared to give him a decade to get it right.

Stop trotting utter garbbage, the people will soon be voting with thier feet and Cameron is the one who should pay the price, not Hughes.

Cameron has to take full responsibility for this .He had the chance to take on Telfor or Hartley but both carried baggage ie assistants that would need paid and compo . Unfortunately Cameron's decision in appointing John Hughes has been an absolute car crash : you can take cally out of inverness but you can't take inverness out of cally !!! IMHO

Had a very quick look over the archives and here are the point totals for each of our managers from their first six games in charge. I've not double checked it so it could be wrong.

1. Baltacha 13 points
  2. Christie 11 points
  3. Butcher 11 points
  4. Paterson 7 points
  5. Brewster (2) 7 points
  6. Robertson 6 points
  7. Brewster (1) 6 points
  8. Hughes 5 points
  • Agree 1

lol

Cameron has to take full responsibility for this .He had the chance to take on Telfor or Hartley but both carried baggage ie assistants that would need paid and compo . Unfortunately Cameron's decision in appointing John Hughes has been an absolute car crash : you can take cally out of inverness but you can't take inverness out of cally !!! IMHO

IIRC one of the newspapers during the managerial saga said essentially that.  Hartley was all ready to go, but Cameron changed his mind and switched to Hughes at the eleventh hour.

lol

Stop trotting utter garbbage, the people will soon be voting with thier feet and Cameron is the one who should pay the price, not Hughes. Cameron has to take full responsibility for this .He had the chance to take on Telfor or Hartley but both carried baggage ie assistants that would need paid and compo . Unfortunately Cameron's decision in appointing John Hughes has been an absolute car crash : you can take cally out of inverness but you can't take inverness out of cally !!! IMHO

IIRC one of the newspapers during the managerial saga said essentially that. Hartley was all ready to go, but Cameron changed his mind and switched to Hughes at the eleventh hour. There was a lot talk of Paul Hartley having a lot of domestic issues and that's one of the reason that both parties pulled out and I am not sure if the assistant stories are true. I would believe that if Paul Hartley wanted to take his management team with him, he would have got them.

John Hughes had been out of the Scottish game for a wee bit. Maybe John Collins wasn't committal to come here and who knows the current state of Brian Rice but I am sure John Hughes will take time and appoint someone who he is happy with and that may be Duncan Shearer.

Edited by ICTRoughi