FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Our most prolific goalscorer on the bench???????

Guest 1MORESEASONBLACK

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Suspicious Mind

Dargo scored plenty goals once Brew had left in January and many when he the big man wasn't playing prior to that (Cue CD with his stat machine hopefully!).

Also by my maths 8/20 is one goal every 2.5 games and 5/20 is one every 4.

Significantly better even when he doesn't appear to be at his best?

Guest Suspicious Mind

Last season was last season and the reason for Dargo's tally then was Brewster's ability to hold up the ball and slot it through. This season Dargo has scored 8 from 20 starts. Bayne 5 from 20. To me there is nothing 'prolific' in that.

Alex, at the risk of being an anorak (wife and kids in bed and telly *****!) I couldn't wait for CD and did some research on last season myself.

Purely on league goals, Dargo totalled 17 from 30 starts and 2 sub appearances. Prior to Brew's departure he had scored 7 times with Brew not on the pitch for 2 of these goals (29/10 and 19/11). His next 10 goals came after Brew had gone to Utd.

Proof once and for all that Dargo deserves some credit :025:

Proof that he deserves credit for last season, and I doubt many would question that.

This year however, he been a shadow of the player he was back then.  Their must be a reason for that, and IF Charlieis looking to move him on then that may be part of the reason.

[[im A Bit Of A Lazy Funker So I've Not Read Every Post.

So I Apologise If Someone Has Mentioned This Already.]]

One Question...

How Many Times Have You Seen Bayne Beaten In The Air?

Not Very Often.

Fair Enough He Might Not Score Very Many Himself But In My Opinion He Deserves His Place In The Starting Lime Up For The Chances He Creates For Everyone Else.

Guest Get_off_the_park_Wyness!

Craig Dargo is a top class SPL player.

Last season he proved it, he got standing ovations for his effort and enthusiasm alone. He was a man on a mission. And deserved an international callup. This year he hasn't scaled those heights - but perhaps it's unfair to expect him to play like that all the time.

The only reason he should be dropped is if he's definatly going to leave. Otherwise he should be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

His head seems to have gone down a little bit this year for some reason. Perhaps he's dissapointed that his outstanding form last year didn't seem to be acknowleded by Walter Smith, pundits, bigger clubs - or even ICT fans. If Charlie was a good manager he'd be giving him all the praise, support and encouragment in the world.

I see Graham Bayne got the man of the match in The Record today (not for the first time)

Seems that only his own fans (albeit a small percentage) are critical of him.

One other thing, correct me if I'm wrong 'cause I'm not 100% sure about this, but surely the reason that clubs aren't hovering around Bayne and Wyness is because they, unlike Dargo, aren't out of contract.

Guest Suspicious Mind

Proof that he deserves credit for last season, and I doubt many would question that.

This year however, he been a shadow of the player he was back then.  Their must be a reason for that, and IF Charlieis looking to move him on then that may be part of the reason.

Last season was last season and the reason for Dargo's tally then was Brewsters ability to hold up the ball and slot it through. This season Dargo has scored 8 from 20 starts. Bayne 5 from 20. To me there is nothing 'prolific' in that.

CD that is exactly the problem, people were questioning his contribution last year!

This season, been to all but one home game but only two away, he still looks our most potent threat.

Guest 1MORESEASONBLACK

Dargo has not been given a chance this season and i doubt he ever will. Do you think if Dargo went in to work on his days off for shooting practice he would fall in favour with CC. Bayne likes to go in on his days off for practice and certainly does not seem to be paying of. Somebody earlier in the thread asked  how many balls Bayne loses in the air - answer -  more than he wins. I can not remember the game (i'll ask my son in the morning) my 9 yr old son unbeknown to me, for an hour tracked Baynes contribution to the game - the stats were as follows:

37 Balls played in the air to Bayne

9 Balls he wins of which only 4 land near one of our players.

But anyway who cares I am resigned to the fact that Dargo is leaving I will get over it. I am also resigned to the fact that our aspirations only stretch as far as any league position above 12 is a good season .....you know for a club of our size and with our resources. But I'll be there week in week out supporting the Caley hoping, praying that Bayne will some day produce the brilliance of some of our Caley Greats like Billy Urquhart, Alan  Hercher, Ian Stewart, Dennis Wyness to name but a few and of course the great CRAIG DARGO.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know how many career league goals Bayne has scored for ICT?

Now thats it for the Bayne bashing if he's the best we've got then fair do's, CC can only urinate with the sinep he's got.  

:017: - Let me get this straight.  Dargo should be praised for not going in to practice on his days off, and Bayne is being slated for it.....Barman, I'll have a pint of what this man's drinking.

Bayne obviously realises that he has a weakness in his game and is working hard to improve on it.  Perhaps if Dargo showed the same self awareness and was willing to do something about it then he may just recapture the form he showed last season.

Dargo has not been given a chance this season and i doubt he ever will. Do you think if Dargo went in to work on his days off for shooting practice he would fall in favour with CC. Bayne likes to go in on his days off for practice and certainly does not seem to be paying of. Somebody earlier in the thread asked  how many balls Bayne loses in the air - answer -  more than he wins. I can not remember the game (i'll ask my son in the morning) my 9 yr old son unbeknown to me, for an hour tracked Baynes contribution to the game - the stats were as follows:

37 Balls played in the air to Bayne

9 Balls he wins of which only 4 land near one of our players.

But anyway who cares I am resigned to the fact that Dargo is leaving I will get over it. I am also resigned to the fact that our aspirations only stretch as far as any league position above 12 is a good season .....you know for a club of our size and with our resources. But I'll be there week in week out supporting the Caley hoping, praying that Bayne will some day produce the brilliance of some of our Caley Greats like Billy Urquhart, Alan  Hercher, Ian Stewart, Dennis Wyness to name but a few and of course the great CRAIG DARGO.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know how many career league goals Bayne has scored for ICT?

Now thats it for the Bayne bashing if he's the best we've got then fair do's, CC can only urinate with the sinep he's got.  

Yes. Twelve

CC has no reason or justification for dropping the Bayne/Wyness combination up front at the minute.

In the games prior to Stirling (mainly when Dargo was injured) the front pairing not only performed extremely well but they were chipping in with odd goal. In such a situation the manager will tend to keep with the pairing until there is some form of justification for changing this.

I'm still of the opinion that our best pairing is Dargo and Wyness, albeit Bayne has something to offer from the physical side, however I don't see how fair critisism can be made of CC at this stage particularly as Dargo's earlier form was not that great (although the service he was receiving was poor).

Who plays up front depends on which tactics we adopt

Bayne if we are going to bypass midfield and have our defenders hump the ball up aimlessly upfield

Dargo if we actually try and play football and pass the ball

I know which one I prefer watching  :004:

Last season was last season and the reason for Dargo's tally then was Brewsters ability to hold up the ball and slot it through. This season Dargo has scored 8 from 20 starts. Bayne 5 from 20. To me there is nothing 'prolific' in that.

By arguing it was brewsters ability to hold the ball up your are suggesting that Bayne the target man (as Brewster was) is unable to hold the ball up aswell as Brewster. Therefore Dargo's goals have tried up.

Also you are forgetting the winter scoring spree that Wyness and Dargo went on mid season when the pair were the most prolific goal partnership in Scotland. May I ask what contribution did Brewster have here?

It has also been mentioned that Bayne has scored 12 career goals for Caley. How many seasons has Bayne been at Caley?  What is this in comparison to Dargo's record - does it compare?

As a central forward/target man it is implied that you have a dual role. As with any center forward you should posses the ability to score. However when you are a target man you also have to have the vision to provide the ball for your strike partner to score. As a lot of goals are coming from set pieces which defenders are scoring it would suggest to me that this target man tactic is not paying off - in essence the target man is finding it difficult to hit the net as often as he should and is also finding it difficult to assist his strike partner and fellow team mates in finding the net.

The username may imply that I am a big Dargo fan - something I can not deny - however  I would also say I am a fan of any good striker who can score goals or set up opportunities for fellow team mates ...... if things were different my username could have been ITSANOTHERGREATLAYOFFGRAHAMBAYNE....but as things are .....sorry will not happen.

What about the other players on the pitch who should be setting up chances for Dargo? Could Dargos lack of goals recently be something to do with a change in how other parts of our team operate? It's not soley down to one player.

This season Dargo has scored 8 from 20 starts. Bayne 5 from 20. To me there is nothing 'prolific' in that.

All very well but what you will find is that Bayne has played considerably more minutes than Dargo. Bayne has featured in 27 games this season scoring 5 goals whereas Dargo has featured in featured in 21 and scored 8

What about the other players on the pitch who should be setting up chances for Dargo? Could Dargos lack of goals recently be something to do with a change in how other parts of our team operate? It's not soley down to one player.

Yes I totally agree but the remit for the target man in a long ball scenario is to lay off or set up his strike partner or who ever has taken up a potential goal scoring position to score goals.

A bit of advice for you ITSAGOALCRAIGDARGO - never adopt a username idolising one of our players! Players leave, and when Dargo does you'll be ashamed to show your face. There used to be a right t1t on here called Robsonisgod, but he disappeared shortly after the ginger whinger and has never been seen or heard since.

:004:

A bit of advice for you ITSAGOALCRAIGDARGO - never adopt a username idolising one of our players! Players leave, and when Dargo does you'll be ashamed to show your face. There used to be a right t1t on here called Robsonisgod, but he disappeared shortly after the ginger whinger and has never been seen or heard since.

:015: :015: :015:

ITSAGOALCRAIGDARGO, Graham came to us at the start of our first season and, under Robbo, started in 34 games. Ok, he only scored 6 that season but I think nearly everyone in the squad scored at some point that season. If memory serves Barry was our top scorer with 10.

Last season Graham only got eight starts and scored twice. Mainly because Brewster chose himself over Graham every time.

Personally I'm not disputing the fact that Dargo has scored more career goals (52) than Bayne (25) but then he has also had four seasons more of top flight football under his belt. I do, however, think that Graham Bayne is a much better all-round player that craig Dargo.

To be topical................and use one of CC's favourite sayings..............for a club of our size blah blah blah...........

The engine room is responsible for providing the strikers with the opportunities to score. For a club of our size to create the amount of opportunities that the old firm and a couple of others create, is unrealistic, given our resources full stop. We have to take what is put on the table, ie beggars can't be choosers. CC is right when he says for a club of our size...........he is being realistic, unlike a lot of the fans.  As for the Dargo Bayne debate, horses for courses should cover it.  Alex, I maybe won't stretch as far as to say Bayne is a better all round footballer, but I do believe there is a place for both styles in the same team, just maybe not at the same time al the time, but some of the time sometimes :003:

Alex where did you get your stats from?

Looking on soccerbase.com it says Dargo has 70 league goals to Bayne's 28!! Saying that it's not the easiest table to follow so I could be quoting the wrong figures  :016:

What a load of pish! I kept the same username for about 3 years after he left!  :015: