FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Shinnie's best position?

DoofersDad

Shinnie would normally be our first choice left back but when Raven was out he played right back with Tremarco coming in at left back and he did well.  With Raven back and the midfield missing Vincent, Foran and Draper, he has played in the midfield, again with Tremarco at left back.

It should not be too long before all the missing midfield trio are available for selection and with the signing of Tansey together with improved showings recently from Polworth, Watkins and Williams , competition for midfield places is going to be fierce.

To be honest, whilst I have always been impressed with Shinnie going forward, he does, at times seem vulnerable at the back.  Last week I felt he was our MOTM against Dundee Utd and by all accounts he was excellent today.  Tremarco seems pretty able at left back and I just wonder whether Shinnie should be played in the midfield role because I think that is where he is at his best.

Of course, when other players are available there is the question of who misses out.  If Shinnie was to keep a midfield role, who would lose out?  Foran has now had quite a long lay off and I just wonder whether he will be able to get back to the level he has played at previously.  Certainly, Foran is never going to match Shinnie's work rate and I wonder if Shinnie should take over Foran's midfield role - and the captaincy.  Thoughts?

• Agree 1

Maybe he is our version of Gareth bale!!

Working his way from defence to attack and being quite good as he goes !

On a serious note, it's great having a utility Player like him who has actually been excellent anywhere he has played.

Maybe we need to change formation to 3-1-4-1 or 5-4-1 to accommodate all our talent. Remembering we still really have one good striker!

Shinnie is a big plus because of his versatility. Unfortunately he is very, very one-footed. The only position where he has looked truly comfortable and effective in is at left wing back and if he was to play there on a regular basis he may well sneak in to the Scotland squad. We have enough cover now in midfield, especially given the arrival of Tansy and the recovery of Vincent.

Our solid, but packed, defense was a significant contributor to the win yesterday against the Dons. They simply did not have the guile to penetrate it or were haphazard or desperate in trying to score. Barry Robson kept putting ball after ball over from the corners,  etc and not one landed on the head of  a player dangerous enough to get through the forest of blue.

If Shinnie is the best left back then should he not be played in that position? I really feel that the defence should be  absolutely top class and then the forward players could relax and cut-loose up front.

Tremarco did make quite a contribution yesterday though. He got booked also didn't he?

I think he could be our version of Leighton Baines. He is very good in defence and has got better and better in going forward. I think playing him on the left side of midfield with Tremarco at left back maybe the way forward, especially when foran, draper and Vincent are back.

Shinnie is a big plus because of his versatility. Unfortunately he is very, very one-footed.

Some say that about Lionel Messi. I don't see it as a problem if that one foot is good enough.

I reckon he'd make a sound orthadox left winger in our usual attacking midfield 3. The bonus being he can track back when required and switch sides if going for inverted wingers. Though I'd like to see Williams in that position also.

Shinnie attack and track back, excellent versatility, keep Tremarco at left back he is improving all the time and is already better than most others in the SPFL........... Ain't we the lucky ones................ spoiled for choice in most departments.

Shinnie attack and track back, excellent versatility, keep Tremarco at left back he is improving all the time and is already better than most others in the SPFL........... Ain't we the lucky ones................ spoiled for choice in most departments.

I'm agreeing with that. Tremarco and Raven are both rock solid full backs as well as having a good competitive grafting edge to their game (if that makes sense)

Shinnie can then be utilised a little further up. He's great at running at folk and always looks a danger cutting in on his left foot.

• Agree 1

Have I got it wrong about Tremarco. I certainly think that he is a solid defender. I certainly think that he would die for the jersey. I certainly do not think that he would let us down. BUT I still do not think that he is an asset in going forward. I feel that some teams (Arabs twice) basically did not play anyone against him as they appeared to feel that he would not provide anything going forward. That is one of the main reasons that I want Shinnie back at left back.

Tremarco has made some good runs and shots, perhaps they are few and far between but he can be dangerous going forward.

He is a battler and is perfect for the surprise attack should we need it. Also he fits in so well in defence he is very much a part of that machine, actually more so than Shinnie, who has a tendency when playing full back to go out of position at crucial moments, not often but enough to leave a gap. Shinnie however is the best all rounder we have and likes to roam, he does this so effectively he must be given the free reign he now enjoys. David Raven is our attacking full back and when he goes on the rampage the rest of the machine immediately adapt to cover. I for one am delighted with our defence as it is.

I understand where you are coming from and I actually like your comment about Tremarco IHE cause when you have doubts about a player, (i.e. Brill ) they generally prove you wrong and we keep going from strength to strength.   

• Agree 1

I wouldn't say Tremarco is the most attacking but that's a good thing. It can be a little gung ho to have two attacking full backs. Raven gets forward well, so having Tremarco back more offers cover against counter attacks.

Shinnie can be further forward doing the damage that Tremarco isn't then required to do.

From what I have seen from the last two (televised matches), having Shinnie in midfield is benefiting both McKay and Doran....and Tremarco looks pretty solid at left back...once we get Watkins back and Draper (and now with Vincent back) I feel our season is going to go back up the gears...Shinnie in midfield for me.