FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

"Nobody likes us"

Naelifts

Strange, slightly paranoid words from Deano in The Scotsman today

" Nobody really likes us so it is good to get there (the final) and put in a good performance"

I never regarded this as being correct. Insignificant maybe, but we haven't been around long enough, or been successful enough to warrant this tag

He also talks about " lingering bad blood between the two sets of players ( Aberdeen)

Possible but news to me

His final comment is so true to us but possibly complacent/egotistic coming from a player..............

........." I think we are heroes already if I am honest with you"

There will be a lot more of this over the coming weeks. Lets hope Yogi keeps their feet firmly on the ground and their eyes firmly on the ultimate prize

I personally don't think there is a problem with Aberdeen certainly not aware if any animosity anyway

Regarding the comment about us not being liked.

I reckon that's something to do with the way the club is perceived i.e a franchised club along the lines of Ferranti Thistle or Gretna

Only time will take this tag away from us we should remember 20 years is relatively nothing in football years

Dougal

I personally don't think there is a problem with Aberdeen certainly not aware if any animosity anyway

Regarding the comment about us not being liked.

I reckon that's something to do with the way the club is perceived i.e a franchised club along the lines of Ferranti Thistle or Gretna

Only time will take this tag away from us we should remember 20 years is relatively nothing in football years

Dougal

I'm getting concerned. That's another post from dougal I agree with! A number of teams are formed from the result of mergers. Even Ross County were, something their fans tend to forget, but that is forgotten over generations and not, as dougal says, in twenty years.

I'm positive it was Tremarco that tweeted something along the lines of "So much sweeter that they refused to shake hands"..

Indeed he did. It wasn't all Aberdeen players just some of them.

I've actually found a lot of other supporters quite like us.  Including Aberdonians.  Maybe not on match day but they still see us as a wee team.  A bit of the battling underdog.  David amongst the Goliaths.

Being ICT doesn't seem to raise a frown (well, except for the Hearts fan in the next office).  More of a delight it's not a serious rival.  Just a wee club, doing their best.

• Agree 1

I suspected his comments re "nobody really liking us" would be taken out of context when I was listening to him give the interview. What he was talking to the press about was the fact that other teams don't like to play against us.

The Aberdeen thing is as discussed above.

The Heroes thing...he was lead into that by the question and how it was put to him.  Probably should have dodged it, but hey ho!

This whole media perception thing really amazes me. As someone with a wee insight into how they work their perceptions are coloured by a hankering after the past, a desire to not have to assimilate new people and a central belt attitude that sees them as the centre of the universe. When something else (like us) muscles in, we get regarded as a distracting amusement (supercaleygo etc.) then progress to irritation (see Hugh Keevins article in the Daily Record about how and why he wanted a Hearts win) Eventually it will settle to grudging acceptance. These guys are, by and large, simply paid versions of the damp grumpy old men who clump together in stands up and down the country remembering the misty eyed "good old days" and waiting for God. they are real "football people" you know?

Fans, though, are a much broader church with every perception from a rival's utter derision to being other people's first look for a result because they were up here on holiday or saw the 9 man victory on the telly. That's why the two perceptions don't match up, and players rarely hear anything but the media line when it comes to a (supposedly) neutral viewpoint. Fans? they only ever get adulation or hatred, nothing in between at games so it's not surprising that someone like Dean calls it the way he has. For the record, people do generally like us. Just not the dinosaurs*

*it's ok that's not you Chalky or you Graham

Edited by davie
  • Agree 4

I don't sense "nobody likes us". I'd agree with comments above that we're seen as pretty irrelevant from a backwater and have an annoying habit of upsetting odds and hanging around longer than expected (in every sense)!

• Agree 1

The Lowland - Highland divide, well the 'lowlife' never did appreciate  the Highlanders, their thinking is that the Highlands are there for their convenience at holiday times, going fishing or taking the **** out of us. Now they find that we are a force to be reckoned with up here and they don't like it,

Jealousy is what it is all about, life is better up here and so is our football team.

• Agree 2

I'm feeling better. So, when people tell me that " nobody likes you", what they are actually saying is that I am handy for buying pies and tickets, giving lifts and supplying occasional first aid to nearby spectators. Phew!

The only folk I've ever witnessed who have gone as strong to "hate" us.. Are a number of our own Invernesians who'd rather glory hunt some or those deluded enough to support them over the bridge.

Never really had beef with anyone else about supporting or discussing our club, except the odd heated matchday affairs!

• Agree 1

Seriously though, I agree of course with most of the intelligent replies. I DO find that we are almost universally admired and that time may well change that if we continue to become consistently successful. A more traditional rivalry with The Dandies is inevitable in time.

I was unaware of the handshake thing being in Colombia at the time.

Still seeing the world through those "happy-specs".......nothing to do with anything I took back from my holiday by the way!

I think he's more than likely referring to the way we've been treated by the SFA/SPFL with regards to the semi final arrangements.  The powers that be do not see us an asset to the Scottish game IMO and perhaps the players get this opinion too.  If so - good.  We will use that to our advantage.

• Agree 2

The Glasgow media certainly don't like us. Keevin's comments about wanting Hearts to win the semi because we only took just over 100 fans to Rugby Park and we're just a silly wee diddy team etc were typical. They all think that the world ends at Broxden services although for some reason County are cute. They've all written us off for the final already which suits us fine.We're more dangerous when cornered. Just because you're PARANOID doesn't mean they're not OUT TO GET YOU!

The Glasgow media certainly don't like us. Keevin's comments about wanting Hearts to win the semi because we only took just over 100 fans to Rugby Park and we're just a silly wee diddy team etc were typical. They all think that the world ends at Broxden services although for some reason County are cute. They've all written us off for the final already which suits us fine.We're more dangerous when cornered. Just because you're PARANOID doesn't mean they're not OUT TO GET YOU!

.....interesting: at one of the Killie matches last year, I counted 35 Killie fans before half time and <70 after a 2nd bus arrived late. So, it's shameful that we take 100 down to Ayrshire, but it's acceptable for Killie to send fewer back up the road because it's "only a diddy team". It is what it is and underdog suits me fine....

• Agree 2

Who gives a feck - let's face it most of the big brass didn't want us to be there - and the "nobody likes us " phrase is practically as overused as "over the moon". Aberdire look at us as being the inferior neighbours and there has been a growing rivalry. And Deano and co are feckin heroes already.

• Agree 2