FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Hughes comments

Doofer

On the opening post..............I'm sure there was an audio or video that this article was taken from and it is somewhat selective. Yogi started the audio with a tongue in cheek statement about staying up and that is where the closing comment came from. Not worth debating if you ask me.

astounded by negativity before a ball is kicked. 1st priority every season is enough points to stay up. I hope and dream we win a treble this season but if it's not to be (and it's highly unlikely) I'll shrug my shoulders and settle for still being in SPL in 38 games time to regroup and go again. Just as long as we've given it a right good go.  :smile:

• Agree 3

In comparison to John Hughes Terry B is quoted above as  eloquent , charismatic etc.

And what a  bright spark he turned out to be didn't he? Loyal to a fault et al...........NOT.

Hughes in his own way, in full flood , is equally eloquent and at first sight a darn sight more honest and trustworthy.

At least with him, fluffs aside, he appears to be someone with the characteristics of ..."what you see is what you get".

I think what he said is merely an off the cuff remark more intended to lower  expectation and in order to hide his real ambitions and not appear to be overly cocky.

:clapoverhead:

I doubt it very much but, whatever his motives, it reflects badly on him and the club. The chairman has shown faith in him when his stock was very low with no great queue to employ him and it's hardly a way of repaying that. Whatever his faults and the bitter manner of his parting, TB would never have been so petulant and knew the advantage of good PR and keeping the media on board.

No matter what his gripe, Yogi needs to be more mature. Surely, it is part of his roll if not his job description to give interviews.

Very strange.  As someone else said, he comes across as an honest, likeable sort of guy and what you see is what you get.  He may be prone to the odd strange statement but there are always opportunities to correct misunderstandings if he has said something which has been interpretted differently from what he meant.  I don't know why he chose not to speak to the media after the first game of the season but making himself available is really part of the job.  He needs to win over the fans to his style of play and refusing to give interviews doesn't help.

Damned if he does.  Damned if he doesn't.

We won.  I couldn't give a toss if he chose not to speak to journalists or not.  The talking was done on the pitch.

If that original interview was given by old red nosed Judas I doubt anyone would have even mentioned it.

If we have as good a start as last season people will still be crying because Yogi is not some eloquent quasi Butcher/Hartley imaginary management demi god.

Let the team and the management get on with it.  If they mess up what matters, then by all means vent your spleen.

• Agree 1

When the Journos were tipping ICT for relegation despite Yogi telling them not to underestimate us then why should he give an interview? I didn't hear what was fully said but I think something about the highlands was mentioned too.

• Agree 1

When the Journos were tipping ICT for relegation despite Yogi telling them not to underestimate us then why should he give an interview? I didn't hear what was fully said but I think something about the highlands was mentioned too.

It appears as though we very much have a man who is willing to and wants to fight our corner.  Good on the big man I say, go for it.

Let's let him do just that and stop crying because he's not TB.

• Agree 1

Rangers have taken the huff and refuse to speak to the BBC because they don't like some of the coverage. I would be highly embarrassed if we followed that example or indeed any other example set in Govan.

Yes Yogi didn't give an interview because that's what happens at Rangers... As I said above he was probably pissed off at the fact Journos were not giving us a chance before a ball was even kicked and didn't want to give them gratitude of an interview.

Edited by ICTRoughi

We should be thankful that we are in a position where the journalists actually want to interview the manager.  And we won the game!  An ideal opportunity for Yogi to throw their gloomy predictions back at them.  I would have thought he would have relished the opportunity. 

• Agree 3

There are reporters and reporters John has been misquoted a number of times and the wrong inferences put across in the media.so why shouldn't he be choosey in whom and when he wants to make comment or statement.

He has proven himself to be a good honest and upright man with a great player management style, I know for a fact he does have a good sense of humour too.

To say that he didn't give an interview because that's what happens at Rangers is laughable and why should we be thankful because the journalist wanted to interview him, I would say that our status at the Club is much higher than that and we should decide the appropriate time and vehicle to speak. Besides John has staff to do these things if it feels right for him to give them the opportunity to do so on his behalf.

I think it is time to get behind J H and share in his belief. The players have and they know their futures are dependent in their performance individually and as a team........So why shouldn't we follow suit and help our Team push for success.

• Agree 6

There are reporters and reporters John has been misquoted a number of times and the wrong inferences put across in the media.so why shouldn't he be choosey in whom and when he wants to make comment or statement.

He has proven himself to be a good honest and upright man with a great player management style, I know for a fact he does have a good sense of humour too.

To say that he didn't give an interview because that's what happens at Rangers is laughable and why should we be thankful because the journalist wanted to interview him, I would say that our status at the Club is much higher than that and we should decide the appropriate time and vehicle to speak. Besides John has staff to do these things if it feels right for him to give them the opportunity to do so on his behalf.

I think it is time to get behind J H and share in his belief. The players have and they know their futures are dependent in their performance individually and as a team........So why shouldn't we follow suit and help our Team push for success.

Has anybody said that he didn't give an interview because of what happened at Rangers ?

We should be thankful that we are in a position where the journalists actually want to interview the manager. And we won the game! An ideal opportunity for Yogi to throw their gloomy predictions back at them. I would have thought he would have relished the opportunity.

As far as I can see he already done that by letting the talking being done on the pitch. As I said he didn't need to give them the gratitude of an interview - I don't see why it's such a big issue that he didn't IMO.

As for the Rangers comment I was just being sarcastic as I don't see why Yogi not giving an interview should have anything to do with Rangers.

Edited by ICTRoughi

I think Roughie et al took what you said in slightly the wrong way. Rangers refuse to speak to the BBC because of some very specific peices of journalism relating to their financial state, not because of any criticism of the way that they play their football. As far as I know, nothing like that has ever happened at this club .

Russell took press a few times last season and will do so again this season....who knows, we may even have others give the "coaches" view pre/post match.

It has nothing to do with anyone not wanting to speak.  It simply shares the load and sometimes it's good to read/listen to someone else.

Here's what Russell had to say to Iain Auld after the game....yeah....Yogi didn't speak to us either!!! :lol:

The Sun says "Yogi's snub is hell for heroes", calls it "poor form". That's a bit strong. Maybe I'm being too blinkered but I'm just delighted we won and kept a clean sheet. Given the stick he takes for his comments, I chuckled at it. Let Russell take some of the attention. Let the result and positives in the performance stand, without noise about him or as some would put it, his deficiencies. But there can't be much point reading into it.

Edited by Slater