FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Let's go out of Sneck

3 hours ago, weeman said:

Think I know where it is but no idea of what it's called. On the Desolation Road near Dundonnell?

Aye, Fain cottage I would call it, never heard if it was an Inn before. IBM's laughing as it's Destitution Road, so Dylan probably never visited 😉

1 hour ago, TheMantis said:

Aye, Fain cottage I would call it, never heard if it was an Inn before. IBM's laughing as it's Destitution Road, so Dylan probably never visited 😉

Dylan sings about Desolation Row. It appears(on google) to be interchangeable;Destitution%2BRoad%2B2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, weeman said:

Dylan sings about Desolation Row. It appears(on google) to be interchangeable;Destitution%2BRoad%2B2.JPG

Oh well, every day’s a school day, no offence weeman 😎. I always thought Destitution Road had a specific meaning due to it being “work creation” as a lot of Lewis folk used to call that sort of thing. I suppose Desolation kind of works too.

ETA- I'll have to check the skyline when I'm up there in April. Doesn't look like Sgurr Mor whether it's heading East or West. You don't really see Sgurr Mor unless you're on the Ullapool road, A835.

Edited by TheMantis

1 hour ago, TheMantis said:

Oh well, every day’s a school day, no offence weeman 😎. I always thought Destitution Road had a specific meaning due to it being “work creation” as a lot of Lewis folk used to call that sort of thing. I suppose Desolation kind of works too.

ETA- I'll have to check the skyline when I'm up there in April. Doesn't look like Sgurr Mor whether it's heading East or West. You don't really see Sgurr Mor unless you're on the Ullapool road, A835.

Sgurr Mor is a bit covered in mist on streetview, in the picture the old bridge was on the left.  Oh dear weeman must have been on a flyer he never put the covers back properly on the joint box :ohmy:

Over the Fain.PNG

29 minutes ago, IBM said:

Sgurr Mor is a bit covered in mist on streetview, in the picture the old bridge was on the left.  Oh dear weeman must have been on a flyer he never put the covers back properly on the joint box :ohmy:

Over the Fain.PNG

I have to hand it to you and probably weeman too, you must remember every bend in the road, I take it you worked together. I still can't find this spot never mind the old bit. How far from Braemore is it?

Edit - got it now, it's away past Fain

Edited by TheMantis

16 hours ago, TheMantis said:

I have to hand it to you and probably weeman too, you must remember every bend in the road, I take it you worked together. 

We did similar jobs different departments. I worked in that box many years ago when the road resembled a bob sleigh run and had to poke a crowbar through the snow listening for a clonk on the lid of the box then dig out three foot of snow!

It was a good job that paid well 😀

17 hours ago, TheMantis said:

I have to hand it to you and probably weeman too, you must remember every bend in the road, I take it you worked together. I still can't find this spot never mind the old bit. How far from Braemore is it?

Edit - got it now, it's away past Fain

Funnily enough It was actually me. The fibre cable had been damaged at the bridge during roadworks and we had to run a temporary cable from the radio station to that box. That was about 5 years ago 

6 hours ago, weeman said:

Funnily enough It was actually me. The fibre cable had been damaged at the bridge during roadworks and we had to run a temporary cable from the radio station to that box. That was about 5 years ago 

Aye things started to slip when I retired :wink:

• Thoughtful 1

8 hours ago, IBM said:

I thought even weeman might struggle with this one but he knows it so here is a clue, it's east of Inverness.

Yes, it's strange how things come around. I did a walk in that area, not so long ago, and one of the walkers was born and bred there. She took us around the place afterwards pointing out things of interest and the church/graveyard was one of them.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

There is no location information on the gravestones, but Eileen Vanora Dawson is a pretty unique name 😉

I am with you now but found nothing in Google on the name that links her to the place.  Do you know or want another clue?

12 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Yup, but there are quite a few references to it as Auldearn & Dalmore.

So there is and all I know is my great great granny is buried there we will have to get weeman to find out more from his friend :ponder: