Replacement Striker?

us2

F. El Bahktaoui is a great shout, players have done well in Premiership  from lower leagues, Greg Stewart is a great example, he was banging goals in for Dundee last season for a while.

Still wouldn't mind seeing us bid for Darren Murray though.

Edited by Shaun
Spelling

F. El Bahktaoui is a great shout, players have done well in Premiership  from lower leagues, Greg Stewart is a great example, he was banging goals in for Dundee last season for a while.

Still wouldn't mind seeing us bid for Darren Murray though.

Now that we have two strikers on loan plus Dani Lopez, I don't the see the point in adding another striker until January at the very least. 

We should focus on the defensive side of things. A quality left back wouldn't go a miss. 

So, let me get this straight....

- Christie can be recalled in January

- Miles Storey is only on loan until January (with 8 goals in his career at League 1 & 2 level)

- Tobi Sho-Silva is only on loan until January (and is a midfielder with 1 career goal).

What kind of strategy is this?  Surely we're just kicking our problems down the road to January where they'll be an even bigger issue.  It's completely crazy, there's literally no long term planning going here at all.

• Agree 4

It seems that both ourselves and Ro$$ County have swapped round in terms of our approaches to transfer dealings. Leaving aside the massive funding they get from 'Uncle Roy' *vomit* we used to mock them not too long ago with their apparent short sightedness to transfers handing out short term deals to players like the failed Dutch lads but look at how they're dealing with players and contracts these days. Now it seems the show is on the other foot and it doesn't fit well for me right now.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 8

What happens when big Roy gets fed up, spending big money in Scottish football. I guess they should just enjoy it while it lasts and make the most of it, if county don't win a major cup in the next five years then it will be a complete disaster. 

• Agree 1

It seems that both ourselves and Ro$$ County have swapped round in terms of our approaches to transfer dealings. Leaving aside the massive funding they get from 'Uncle Roy' *vomit* we used to mock them not too long ago with their apparent short sightedness to transfers handing out short term deals to players like the failed Dutch lads but look at how they're dealing with players and contracts these days. Now it seems the show is on the other foot and it doesn't fit well for me right now.

Exactly! So, RC look over the bridge and copy our outstanding policy over the past few years, while we abandon the policy that proved to be such a success and resort to their flawed tactics re: contracts. Without huge rescue packages from Uncle Roy in the past 2 seasons, they would definitely have been relegated: we don't have the luxury of rescue packages.

There is another aspect to this from the fans' perspective: personally, I like to support a team made up primarily of loyal servants and young local talent. Loyalty of players is repaid in loyalty of the support. A big criticism from County fans over the last few seasons is that they barely recognised the teamsheet from week to week, never mind from season to season. They had no connection with players that were here today, gone tomorrow. Don't go there!

• Agree 2

If this is looking bad now(and it doesn't look great), wait till next season when everyone else is out of contract :sad:, it will be complete role reversal then.

What I think the board are doing is hoping that our form picks up before January with the players we've got. If it does, we bank most of the Christie money and use the rest to extend contracts, if it doesn't we start investing in the squad i.e. we go into full Ross County panic-buying mode as RiG mentions above. As much as I'd love to see it, I'm not even sure if I trust us to buy a striker in this window if we haven't been scouting someone for a while.

Really looking like the board are papering over the cracks but it’s just going to be worse come January, never mind in May. We desperately need defensive cover, at times playing with 1 or 2 recognised defenders, and Devine certainly hasn’t covered himself in glory this season so far when given this opportunity. Would love to see a proven goalscorer,(We’ve known we need permanent cover for this since before Billy left) come in but this looks highly unlikely now that these 2 players have come on loan.

Think the international break has come at a good time for us. Hopefully get 1 or 2 back from injuries, breed in the new players and get some stability in the squad. Really don’t want a situation like Motherwell from last season happening here.

Just saw on the Highland News article confirming the Storey and Silva loans there was a quote saying that another deal is likely before midnight but not Stokes (as most on here concede) due to high wage demands.

My reckoning is that it will be either T. Ajala or Darren Murray.

Just saw on the Highland News article confirming the Storey and Silva loans there was a quote saying that another deal is likely before midnight but not Stokes (as most on here concede) due to high wage demands.

My reckoning is that it will be either T. Ajala or Darren Murray.

Yeah, here's the quote: "There could be one more bit of business in the next two hours of D-Day but Celtic's Anthony Stokes won't be moving to the Highland club, with lack of finances ruling out any chance of that."

I heard last week that Murray didn't impress during his trial and that was more of a factor in him not being offered a deal than the potential fee involved. So, it probably won't be him. More likely to be a defender I'd say.

Eddy Ofere still appears without a club. Without breaking the bank, we could probably offer him a little more now than we were able to at the end of last season. In the absence of anyone else coming in, that might be worth a punt.

He signed for Boluspor in Turkey. 

• Agree 1

Eddy Ofere still appears without a club. Without breaking the bank, we could probably offer him a little more now than we were able to at the end of last season. In the absence of anyone else coming in, that might be worth a punt.

Presumably whilst the transfer window shut at midnight there is nothing to stop clubs signing out of contract players at any time.  There is maybe a bit more value to be got there and Ofere would be a good shout in my book.  But really!  Billy left us in January since when we've come 3rd in the league and won the cup FFS!  Surely this is a club which has a reputation for developing players and providing the opportunity for some exposure for players looking to develop and last season's success should make us a more attractive proposition than ever before.  In addition, we should have a shade more cash than ever before so I think folk are absolutely justified in expressing concern about the current situation.

Of course, it may be that the new signings come up trumps and we wish then well, but from what we have seen of those who have played and what we have seen of the history of today's signings there is nothing which gives any indication that they will be able to succeed at this level.  Let's face it, scoring just 2 or 3 goals a season for the last few seasons for teams at the wrong end of the English system does not fill one with much anticipation.  We have a problem, and the fact that this thread is now well over 800 posts says it all. 

I see that John Christophe Ayina is a free agent and was over in Scotland having talks with Falkirk last week, but nothing seems to have come of it. 

This is the French striker we were very keen on in July 2014 after a trial, but he was off like a shot when offered a trial at Osasuna (who had just been relegated from La Liga). Ended up signing for Getafe B in the 3rd flight though, the same level Dani Lopez was at.  So he must be good! :smile:

I would imagine that Hughes was aware of his availability and decided this wasn't the answer.

Edited by Yngwie