FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

v Dumbarton

tm4tj

Interesting discussion about our tactics.

What’s been marked for me in the three games I’ve seen so far this season is that we have seldom gone long.

We tried to play it over the top to turn the Elgin defence and capitalise on Samuels’ pace but we have not really done so since.

Duffy played a long ball on Saturday and it led to Doran’s goal whilst Ridgers kicked out a couple of times last night (one went straight to the Dumbarton goalie without bouncing) but otherwise we have tried to play a passing game.

I have no issue with that as long as we mix things up a lot so we are not predictable. However we normally play a safe pass which will rarely open a defence up.

We have few players who are happy to  take a player on. Shaw and Carson will, others less regularly although we have seen it from Doran and MacGregor in their game time.

Maybe it has been deliberate as we get up to full fitness and sharpness but I’d like to see more variety in our play to keep our opponents guessing, whilst we need to know what our strengths are and play to them.

As others have said, regardless of only being back in training for two weeks we should have comfortably won on Saturday and last night. Airdrie will be a much tougher test and if we fail it there are grounds for concern.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 8:08 AM, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

Disaster. Our only hope to progress in the League Cup this year is that Dumbarton fielded an ineligible player.....

Viaplay are pulling out of Scottish football. Will the cup continue this season? Presumably if it does there will be no coverage of our game at Dundee (I’m not a subscriber so would have been dependent on updates anyway) unless Dundee stream it. 

They haven’t gone bust or anything like that, just withdrawing from Scotland and various other countries in (hopefully) an orderly fashion. This might involve honouring existing contracts or, more likely, trying to sell their rights on to another broadcaster.

From the BBC Sport app:

“We will exit Poland, Baltics, UK, US and Canada to re-focus on the Nordics and Netherlands," said CEO Jorgen Madsen Lindemann.

"(We will) exit in the form of disposal, partnering or winding down the businesses.”

The BBC understands all payments to the Scottish Professional Football League are up to date and it anticipates matches will be broadcast as planned this season.

The SPFL and SFA are yet to comment on Viaplay's announcement.

No game for us today, but at half time.

GROUP E

Airdrie 0-0 Dundee

Bonnyrigg 0-0 Dumbarton 

Comedy score & Scorer (HT)

County 0-1 Morton (Oakley)

• Funny 2

Team              W    D   L   GF    GA     GD  Pts

Air  2   2  0   0   3 0 3    6  

Dum  3   1  1 1 2 3 -1

ICT  2   1  0 1 3 3 0   3 

Dun   2    1   0   1 1 1 0   3 

Bon   3    0   1   2 1 3 -2  1 

We need to win our last two games in 90 minutes to have any chance of qualifying and we also then need to have a better goal difference than Airdrie and Dundee to win the group.

That will need quite a turnaround from the way we played at Dumbarton. 

• Agree 1

On 7/20/2023 at 12:45 PM, Robert said:

Viaplay are pulling out of Scottish football. Will the cup continue this season? Presumably if it does there will be no coverage of our game at Dundee (I’m not a subscriber so would have been dependent on updates anyway) unless Dundee stream it. 

I never subscribed either. I also ditched Sky (all of it) and BT Sport. My updates would depend on Twitter (which isn't as good as it used to be) and the Flash Scores web site which is quicker than the Twitter updates. 

On 7/23/2023 at 5:10 AM, Gringo said:

I never subscribed either. I also ditched Sky (all of it) and BT Sport. My updates would depend on Twitter (which isn't as good as it used to be) and the Flash Scores web site which is quicker than the Twitter updates. 

I’m in the ‘Me too’ gang - have retained the Sky basic package so I can still get BBC Scotland down here in Englandshire but if I can get it confirmed I can see that without having Sky then that will go too…

17 minutes ago, CaleyCanary said:

I’m in the ‘Me too’ gang - have retained the Sky basic package so I can still get BBC Scotland down here in Englandshire but if I can get it confirmed I can see that without having Sky then that will go too…

You could maybe get that on Freesat? Might have to change your postcode, dunno.

1 hour ago, CaleyCanary said:

If you can access BBC iPlayer without going through Sky, then you can get BBC Scotland.  One of the settings is "location" - if you set that to Scotland then it's as if you were there, and you have access to all the BBC Scottish programmes and channels.  Can do similar for all the other BBC regions in the UK, too.

Edited by snorbens_caleyman

• tm4tj unpinned this topic