FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Most boring ICT ever

Are the current tactics making us the most boring ICT team ever?

The new year home games against Arbroath,  and Morton especially, were two of the most boring games I've ever suffered!! 

I gave the Broomhill game a miss as I didn't fancy it. In all honesty, I don't know when I'll next make the effort to go and watch ICT as the football currently is soooooo boring to watch. 

May be in the minority here but as someone who enjoys watching slick passing football rather than kick and rush/lump it forward and hope for the best/hoof ball, I have actually been encouraged by the style of play Big Dunc has been trying to implement since his arrival.

Yes it hasn't and won't work at times against certain opposition (and we need to have more than one card up our sleeve) and we are still shot shy and looking for the killer pass too often, but it's early days.  I think it will be next season (with own group of players) before we truly see how effective this can be and whether or not it will bring us 'success'. 

Keep the faith, we are a work in progress and we need to give him a proper chance!  When I think of some of the other managers who were touted for the job, I'm still thankful for the willingness to think a little bit out the box and try something new.....

Sadly I've found at home games there seems to be a lot of negativity whereas at away games the fans really back and encourage the team until the end.  Maybe it's just the people I'm sitting next to 🤷‍♂️

Edited by robbo1985
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

If we hadn't scored a late 1st half goal yesterday fans would have started to turn. We were putrid. 

I remember similar comments made when Hughes first came in about boring 'tippy tappy' possession football. That did come good over time (at least for a while) however the biggest difference between now and then is the calibre of players is vastly different. I don't think we have good enough players to play that way to a consistently effective level. We are quite honestly, turgid and very rarely have any urgency in counterattack or when on the offence. 

I hope that they do manage to turn it around and make it more effective and produce better results, time will tell. 

Edited by Fraz
  • Like 1

Duke, you must have given a few games “ A MISS “ during yogi Hughes tenure.

I remember one game, against Dundee I think, it took 70 mins before we took a shot at goal.

chuckle brothers football, TO YOU TO ME etc etc etc……………………..

Grampian TV  had a piece prior to a Dundee utd game. John rankin, Utd at time, said we can’t afford to give ball away to ICT “ you will never get it back “ 

wow, some of those games were SOOOOO boring.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

15 minutes ago, Fraz said:

I remember similar comments made when Hughes first came in about boring 'tippy tappy' possession football. That did come good over time (at least for a while) however the biggest difference between now and then is the calibre of players is vastly different. I don't think we have good enough players to play that way to a consistently effective level. We are quite honestly, turgid and very rarely have any urgency in counterattack or when on the offence. 

I hope that they do manage to turn it around and make it more effective and produce better results, time will tell. 

Just what I was thinking - the "tippy-tappy" football was a bit of a novelty to us and often it was painful to watch.

But under John Hughes we pretty much perfected it with a fairly mediocre bunch of players and what a joy we were to watch!

Be patient folks, perhaps history is repeating itself!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, bishbashbosh said:

Duke, you must have given a few games “ A MISS “ during yogi Hughes tenure.

I remember one game, against Dundee I think, it took 70 mins before we took a shot at goal.

chuckle brothers football, TO YOU TO ME etc etc etc……………………..

Grampian TV  had a piece prior to a Dundee utd game. John rankin, Utd at time, said we can’t afford to give ball away to ICT “ you will never get it back “ 

wow, some of those games were SOOOOO boring.

Granted, I remember a 0-0 home draw with Partick Thistle in the Yogi era that was mind numbing. Getting deja vu to that, but at least we had good players who are ICT legends then. Different level of players now. 

• Like 1

Last season the two performances at Firhill were shocking. I went to Ayr recently expecting something similar but got a performance closer to the Livingston cup game. Just look at Falkirk and a number of other squeaky bum winners. Many would say that a professional job was done against Broomhill. Most teams play the tippy happy style - our problem is that our back four has changed so often and we are not fast enough in the going forward aspect of the game.

• Like 1

Agree with IHE. The other main problem is the lack of pace in midfield and up front.  That seriously needs to be addressed but we also sit far too deep at times.  It is quite common for Ferguson to be urging the players to get further up the pitch. Get that sorted and done with pace will surely help.

Dunc's possession football right now I consider as part of a transition to be solid and prevent conceding or being easy to open up. As said we lack the pace and cutting edge to open up significant opportunities which means there is a large gap in the transition from back to front. However, its still better than the 'hot potato' high punting and hit and hope Doddsball we ensured - some of those performances and results were honking.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 2 months later...