FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Pre-season Friendles - the case for better competition next year...

Mrs Pauliebee

It seems we were unlucky not come away with a point from Motherwell, but I'm just wondering if perhaps better opposition pre-season might make the team a bit sharper and better prepared to take on the rest of the SPL?

I know we've lost Dods, and Caff and Munro haven't had a chance to gel together yet.  But....this time last year we'd played Sheffield United and been given a bit of a game, which was a huge wake up call.

This season we've gone to Clach...County....Elgin....and whilst that's great for fitness, it doesn't give Charlie the chance to test people against real opposition.

I know that local friendlies are perhaps the nice easy cheap option for the club, but I really think that next year we should have at least one major competitive game. 

Obviously it's Barry's testimonial year, so hopefully big guns will be attracted to a wee trip up north.

Yes, competitive matches can lead to injury, but IMHO the advantages far outway the disadvantages!

The team would be ready and gunning for the first game.  This year, we've had to experiment, so the team aren't as settled and gelling as it could be.  If we'd played better opposition, I think Charlie would have been able to weed out a few folk early instead of during the season.

Your thoughts?

Barcelona were talking about setting up a summer training camp in Scotland and staying at St Andrews again next year.  I wouldn't mind a game against them. I think Barca made a lot of money out of playing United and Hearts but hopefully the size of our fan base wouldn't rule us out of a game with them.

Guest TinCanFan

I don't see why ICT (if still in the SPL) couldn't have a game against St. Johnstone (if they havn't been promoted) next pre-season.

clubs move home ties all the time in europe, the main reason was obviously the management team didnt believe we'd gain enough from it

suppose  an ict v tirol insbruk inter-toto 2nd round 1st leg game  live from victoria park while elton headlined in inverness wouldve been a bizarre one for the scrapbook