ICT -V- GRETNA - Matchnight Thread

Scotty

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brew seemed to damage his shoulder but played on after treatment.

I could say Gretna were poor but that would be unfair on our team who wore them down with some great play.

The team are now working for nearly 90 minutes and this augurs well if we can up the goal scoring.

Denzil is looking happy again and Deano looked more confident after his little run out.

Marius took his girlfriend or wife home at half time because of the cold.

Well tonight was a game of 3 thirds!!

Good stuff from us for the first and last 30 minutes but the middle part was rather poor.

We could have and probably should have been 2 or 3 up in the first 20 minutes with Brew missing a couple of decent chances.

Not quite sure what happened after that but we started losing the midfield battle towards the end of the half and we were struggling for the first part of the second half as well.

No real stand out performances for us tonight. Duncan & Caff probably were the pick of the bunch for me. Cowie started in the middle and wasn't nearly as effective as on Saturday. Brewster shouldn't have come back out for the second half he seemed to hurt his shoulder and was pretty much a passenger from then on in.

Morgan I felt was very poor and the keeper had a few fumbles despite having a relatively quiet night.

Nice to see Deano get a wee run out there were a couple of flashes of skill but there's no way of telling when he gets so little time. Nice cameo from Rankin for the final 10 minutes as well, he set up Denzil with a lovely ball which was headed wide.

Good result. Gretna were poor - not sure how many first team regulars they had playing though? They brought maybe 50 away fans as well  :023:

We ran Gretna ragged at times and they could have had no complaints had we scored six or seven goals. They had a bit of the bal last fifteen of the first half and first fifteen of the second half but overall we were well on top. Denzil could have scored a hat trick since he came on, Morgan skimmed the top of the bar after a sweeping move from right to left and we just generally toyed with them.  Cowie again a good performance and Russell not noticed for bad passes so he must have done OK. Bayne scored a close range header after he flicked on a Brew header into the net.  Bazza scored after a shimmy and cross from Denzil and Rossco knocked a far post ball into the six yard box for Denzil to wrap up the scoring.  Zibi seemed to do OK, caught one deep cross well but never had any big moments to deal with.

Easy win, lets see if we can keep it going for Falkirk game.

as easy a win as we'll ever have. gretna were utter pish. how they have more points than us is a real mystery.no real standouts for us but generally we passed it about well and looked solid at the back. zibi had a good game i thought without having a whole lot to do.good catches from crosses and threw the ball out well. dennis coming on to a game now and made wilsons goal and scored another.also taken down for what i thought was a stonewall penalty. 3.0 going on 6 :021:

Not much to add really. Easy victory, we coasted, they were mince.

Defence looked solid, Cowie's much better out on the wing, and I'm not too sure what the point of Brew starting was. Would've been nice to see Deano and Dennis up front for longer.

Home draw for the 1/4s please :022:

Oh aye, well done to the 'singing section'. Really good noise from them tonight........await the 'stewards' thread though, as once again the pricks in yellow deem it necessary to stop anyone enjoying themselves.

Not sure how anyone can say that Morgan had a poor game, I thought he was one of our oustanding players. He always looked sturdy on the ball, and caused them problems when he carried it up the line, he also put in some quality crosses, and almost scored a classic goal at the end - a dipping volley that just went over the bar.

Malkowski also impressed me, his distribution was top class - he started at least a dozen moves with inch perfect long throws. He has a good football brain. There was one shot he took 2 attempts to catch - but he was always in control.

We were so superiour to Gretna it could easily have been 5-0 at half time, although we did have a poor spell at the start of the second half when we let them back into it, perhaps this was inevitable - you can't play with the intesity we did early on for 90 minutes.

From tonights display we should have nothing to fear this season. Arbroath gave us a sterner test in the last round than Gretna managed tonight.

Not sure how anyone can say that Morgan had a poor game, I thought he was one of our oustanding players. He always looked sturdy on the ball, and caused them problems when he carried it up the line, he also put in some quality crosses, and almost scored a classic goal at the end - a dipping volley that just went over the bar.

Malkowski also impressed me, his distribution was top class - he started at least a dozen moves with inch perfect long throws. He has a good football brain. There was one shot he took 2 attempts to catch - but he was always in control.

We were so superiour to Gretna it could easily have been 5-0 at half time, although we did have a poor spell at the start of the second half when we let them back into it, perhaps this was inevitable - you can't play with the intesity we did early on for 90 minutes.

From tonights display we should have nothing to fear this season. Arbroath gave us a sterner test in the last round than Gretna managed tonight.

spot on with your summary there

As above, really.  We were great, while Gretna were mince (apart from the start of the second half).  Wyness looks like he has his mojo back.  I thought Morgan did pretty well, though he still looks a bit rusty with the occasional naff touch.

Did the entire away support travel up in the same car?

Guest Glen Mhor

Doubt we'd take many to Gretna on a Tuesday night

I'd go - it's not too far from here !

Good to see Denzil bagging another goal. The more he gets the more confidence he'll gain. Well done to Brew and the boys for tonight's result.

:clapping03:

Most reassuring. I would say we have little to fear from relegation when Gretna Green are about. And that with a team of fringe players.

Great to get a win again - a run of two! Tonight was a good team game, perhaps the Brew wanted to rest a few players for Saturday. There will be changes again, then. Morgan was very good. Cowie didnt perform as well as on Saturday. Dennis did well and got on the score sheet and nice to see Bayne back too. Deano is very exciting to watch, but his size will always mitigate against him being a first choice. Rankine was good when he came on.

Cant say that I was that impressed with the Malkowski, he seemed to fumble on several occasions. The defence held together well, but didnt seem to be that tested.

Gretna let us get closer to goal that any other team seen in recent years and, as they said above, it was 3 going on 7. Great to know we are in the hat - I pray that the god of lotteries is kind to us.

Man of the match! it should be men of the match!

Great display.

A great psychological win too,Gretna will go home totally demoralised wondering how on earth can they stay in the SPL when the only team below them have tons more quality and skill than them.

Agreed....It was men against boys tonight.... Good to hear Brewster on Radio Scotland suggesting that there is a much healthier confidence right through the squad now.... :021: :022: :021: