FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The What Are You Listening To? Thread

RiG

5704-14.jpg

Angels And Airwaves - A Little's Enough

I love this song. When they finally fix Audioscrobbler it will be interesting to see how many times I have played this.

Hmmmm - trio of songs that were pretty popular last week.

5704-15.jpg

Would you like me to send you it. Although i must warn you Laura... it doesn't have any guitars in it, and the person singin it doesn't have long hair.

Cheeky! I'll have you know I bought Kanye West's ablbum! I hope you're impressed! Although, I did feel really embarrassed going in and buying it.

Doves - Satellites

Kanye West is a gimp. He was brought up on a cushy background with money, then trys to rap as though he was brought up in a ghetto. Just doesn't wash... Someone who gets a private education isn't a rapper. Although his PR try to spin it that he is a average black 'gangster'.

I've also heard rumours that 50 cent is the same but they were never proven.

So if your embarrassed about, i don't blame you.

Someone who gets a private education isn't a rapper.

That's like saying women shouldn't play football! You can't tell someone they aren't talented based on their up bringing, education, gender, etc. He is a talented musician who uses great samples, Ray Charles being my favourite.

Graham Coxon - See A Better Day

It's what he says in his songs that are wrong. He describes how he was brought up in a rough area, when he is really talking bollox, pretending to have been a deprived black person. I see what you mean laura, but look at rap as a genre. No point beating around the bush, it's a mainly black populated genre, very homophobic, born on the rough street corners of New York, listened to and performed by poor working class black people with such exceptions such as Eminem. When i said Kanye West couldn't be a rapper i meant, he doesn't fit into what people class as a 'rapper'. Many people who don't like rap slate the typical rapper, but think there is different rules for people like Kanye West because they like what he says. He's the voice of the upper class trying to have a go rap. Yes he is musical gifted and is a rapper but it is the same people who slate rap and what rappers stand for that then call him a rapper when he is nothing like what rap is all about.

To be fair there are numerous musicians out there writing music about things they know nothing about, it's all about record sales and people will buy music if they can relate to what the artist is saying. Kanye knows what his audience want and that is his act. If you look at the likes of the Arctic Monkeys, they sing about working class life in Sheffield, just being normal people. Okay the songs meant something to them when they wrote them and maybe still do at the minute but if they continue to sell records and make their millions the songs will just become their act because they will change with success. I'm probably not making much sense but what I'm trying to say is that the music industry is all an act; get people to relate to you and you'll sell records and that is why Kanye West is successful. Describing a tough up bringing in a rough area has become his act; but if people feel something when they listen to is does that make it such a bad thing? It may not ring true with him but plenty of people can relate to what his saying, who cares if he's been through it or not?!

Hmm I hope that makes sense!