FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Valentine's Day

Johnboy

I got woken up by my other half this morning with a card and a box of Thorntons chocolates, beautifully presented in a heart shaped box...

"My God," said I, what a coincidence - "These are exactly the same as the ones I got for you" so I took them to my secret hidey hole (where I did have a card) then brought them out - presenting both to her... :love12:

She is really impressed and so far, hasn't actually twigged that there is only one box of chocolates....  :014:

Fortunately she never looks at this website.... :023:

I'm not a great lover of chocolate, H/Dee - or even a great lover-  :rolleyes02:

It just kind of made perfect sense to me to give them back to someone who'd really appreciate them.... :005:

Made a lot of financial sense as well...  :018:

It's all a conspiracy by florists ang greetings card manufacturers.

Roses which were ?18 a dozen last week are suddenly ?4.50 a stem today.

A brief restbite and the same set of conspirators present us with mothers' day in two weeks time. Between the two of them I suspect that there wont be much change out of ?300. At least it's almost a full year until until christmas !

oh my!!!

far far far better giving them some of my goodies for mothers day!  not only will i wrap it all bonny for you, but instead of piling on pounds with chocs, they will look gorg and smell loverly for you too.

call me on 07815.......  :021:

and jb, its called reverse phsycology, she wanted the chocs all along!  must pop in for that cuppa one day soon..... before i forget to blackmail you!  :rotflmao: :015: :rotflmao:

It's all a conspiracy by florists and greetings card manufacturers.

A brief restbite and the same set of conspirators present us with mothers' day in two weeks time. Between the two of them I suspect that there wont be much change out of ?300. At least it's almost a full year until until Christmas !

My thoughts exactly. It's just a ploy for all you softies out there to part with your hard earned. You'll notice these special days are all nicely spaced out to provide the card makers et al with a steady turn over throughout the year. The summer season sees them raking in the cash from the wedding market.

Incidentally, does any other country have daft days like us or are we unique in this crap?

No...it's not dead.

I'll do my bit for my good lady when I choose and not when some card numpty says I 'have to'...  :blah01:

What's the point of me having 'their' valentine's day when I'm at piggin' work? We'll have ours at the under inflated price instead.. so  :blah01: again.  :004:

ccc how ye daein' hen? :)

valentine's day is and never will be the same again for me. the groovy yin did a sentimental (i nearly looked for the bucket!) video offering on youtube after forgetting a card. tch tch tch. it was indeedy soppy but braw.

but yer right ye can be romantic every or any day of the year.....i'm just sentimental that's all really; plus sometimes it's better to use yer imagination rather than yer (lack of) cash (cue anither poke in the eye of the fifers lol) for this day.

Buffy x

I rushed to Tescos at the last minute and came across 12 red roses on offer at ?4.75. I took them home and gave them to Mrs IHE who was aghast that I had bought her roses. Then we sat down to watch the telly and the first feckin advert was - Gentlemen keep it quiet from your loved ones - 12 red roses at Tescos at the knock down price of ?4.75.  :029:

• 3 weeks later...

Well that's Mothers' Day over as well. Having treated my own mother and funded the kids treating Mrs Kingmills my ?300 figure proved to be an underestimate.

Still, birthdays apart, no similar "special" days on the immediate horizon, thank goodness !

Guest TinCanFan

A brief restbite and the same set of conspirators present us with mothers' day in two weeks time. Between the two of them I suspect that there wont be much change out of ?300. At least it's almost a full year until until Christmas !

Incidentally, does any other country have daft days like us or are we unique in this crap?

America has "War Day".  And I believe that last week was "For Pete's Sake Week", and this week is "Pie Week".

America has "War Day".   And I believe that last week was "For Pete's Sake Week", and this week is "Pie Week".

China has 'Sweeping the Graves Day' - something we should adopt on this site since English has apparently passed away...

Guest couchpotato

"Pie Week" should be compulsory in all countries,gie's a break from all the healthy eating police and 5 fruit wardens!

My other half's been trying to get me on a Carol Voderman detox diet....

It lasted for one meal, half an hour later I'd to dash out for a fish supper...  :005:

I'm not quite so keen on Carol now.... think I'll go back to Kirsty Young....  :014: