FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Wide players

I know I have said this before but Brews continuing ploy to play wide players on their less favoured foot continues to irk me. Cowie clearly favours his right - why even consider playing him on the left apart from short spells of interchange. Imrie very clearly favours the left and, although he defended well against Cellic looked more comfortable when he went back to the left. Vigurs likewise - although I notice he never puts Royster on the right. The only one who ever looks comfortable is Bazza but he hugs the line and is fed the ball and gives himself and others space.

I still feel that Cowie should be a la Bazza - or at least tried out in that role. And play the wide men in their favoured positions whilst allowing for a lesser degree of interchange.

I am with IHE on this one ..... Wide players should - for the most part - play on the same side as their favoured foot. It gives them a chance to hug the touchline and hopefully get a decent cross in at the end of it. there is no harm in switching every so often as a tactic and having the player cut in, but to play the whole game like that seems foolish.

Its done so the player can cut inside and attack the defender on ther weaker foot!! alledgedly!

:rotflmao:

I recently had a chat with a football manager regarding this very subject as it seemed natural to me that a player should play on the side where he is stronger, he told me this is not always the case and like you said a lot of managers like their players to cut inside now. Even after this discussion I still agree with IHE and ok maybe for spells throughout the game he can move across and cut in but for the majority of the game should play on the side he is strongest

Edited by stevico1

Can anyone cast their minds back and recall Barry Wilson being played as an out and out left winger in his C****y days? Or am i imagining things?

yip he did when Billy Ferries was on the right, they used 2 swap during games quite often

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see why this causes such confusion. If a left footed player playing on the right cuts in towards goal against the opposing left back he still has the use of his stronger foot as he drives towards goal whereas the defender is forced to defend on his weaker foot.

I think I have my left and rights the correct way round!

TBH I think its strange that Brew plays Imrie and Cowie on their opposite sides, but to take example from a source that isn't really a great comparison but when I played amateur, a right footed winger, I was played on the left. It was the idea of cutting in and it did work well but I found it was harder to play a cross. Imrie and Cowie are pro's though so that shouldn't be a problem.

I don't see why this causes such confusion. If a left footed player playing on the right cuts in towards goal against the opposing left back he still has the use of his stronger foot as he drives towards goal whereas the defender is forced to defend on his weaker foot.

I think I have my left and rights the correct way round!

I totally accept that but why play them fer the whole 90 minutes in that position - I am all for interchanging and I can see how that could work

I spoke to Duff yesterday and asked him why Brewster insists on playing Cowie and Imrie on their opposite sides, and apparently none of the players know why! Its baffling!

As do Cowie and Imrie.

First goal yesterday - Ball over the top from Dougie Imrie (on the right) finished by Don Cowie (on the left).

Second goal yesterday - Breakaway by Dougie Imrie (down the right) played through for Black to finish.

Did you notice which foot Imrie used - did you notice how many times Imrie went at the bye line and crossed with his right - or played a first time ball - and the same fer Cowie. We have one above average wide man and one average wde man - play them fer 60 - 70 % of the game on their chosen peg.

They are both evidently frustrated and the non verbal response by Bazza to a few shouts said it all.

TBH I think its strange that Brew plays Imrie and Cowie on their opposite sides, but to take example from a source that isn't really a great comparison but when I played amateur, a right footed winger, I was played on the left. It was the idea of cutting in and it did work well but I found it was harder to play a cross. Imrie and Cowie are pro's though so that shouldn't be a problem.

Perhaps you were played on the left cos ya were the last name on the feckin team sheet. :rotflmao:

Idea is probably to congest the middle of the park and make it more difficult for the opposing team to play through us and after we have sustained the pressure switch them back to their favoured sides and catch out the opponent.

I can understand Brew using this tactic away from home, you see many top European sides doing it but IMO it is a very negative, expecially when playing at home.

I thought when we played Falkirk it worked well and we would have had a comfortable victory if it wasn't for 2 of the worst referring decisions I've seen but it has obviously come up trumps for Brew this weekend so fair play to him. :rotflmao:

Alot of Brewsters choices are mind-baffling.

The only wide player i would consider playing on both sides is Vigurs. He looks fairly comfy with both feet.

I don't even think Dougie Imrie is a very good wide-player...his best position is defnitely when deployed just behind a striker. Cowie is ok but i have watched him play in the middle and he looks even better there at times. I hope we get a new wide player come January as we are lacking one thats consistent.

Idea is probably to congest the middle of the park and make it more difficult for the opposing team to play through us and after we have sustained the pressure switch them back to their favoured sides and catch out the opponent.

I can understand Brew using this tactic away from home, you see many top European sides doing it but IMO it is a very negative, expecially when playing at home.

I thought when we played Falkirk it worked well and we would have had a comfortable victory if it wasn't for 2 of the worst referring decisions I've seen but it has obviously come up trumps for Brew this weekend so fair play to him. :rotflmao:

What absolute rubbish Hairy - wide players dont congest the middle of the park !! the best evidence of that was yesterday - when Brew compacted Black, Duncan and Vigurs - good tactics even if he did get lucky after the goal - but Cowie is obviously a right foot and Imrie is a left foot. Have a look at our second goal yesterday - created by Cowie's natural wont to go rite.

Top European sides interchange - what do you think Man Ure fans would say if Fergie played Ronaldo on the left fer the whole game or Giggs on the rite - or Gooners about Van Persie on the rite etc., etc. They use it as a tactical switch not the full game plan.

If we had used the interchange at Falkirk we may have won - another example of managerial arrogance.

QUOTE (ICTodd @ Nov 9 2008, 04:39 PM)

Fact is you found it harder to cross, regardless of level, you will still find it more challenging to do something that doesnt come naturally to you.

With top quality players Im sure the idea works a treat. Especially when the top players can use their weaker foot with as much effect as most use their best peg. And cutting in allows the full back to overlap, whilst dragging the defending full back in with the wide man.

Most teams thought tend to line up even at the top level, with lefty's on the left and rights on the right with temporary interchange.