FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Wide players

Idea is probably to congest the middle of the park and make it more difficult for the opposing team to play through us and after we have sustained the pressure switch them back to their favoured sides and catch out the opponent.

I can understand Brew using this tactic away from home, you see many top European sides doing it but IMO it is a very negative, expecially when playing at home.

I thought when we played Falkirk it worked well and we would have had a comfortable victory if it wasn't for 2 of the worst referring decisions I've seen but it has obviously come up trumps for Brew this weekend so fair play to him. :rotflmao:

What absolute rubbish Hairy - wide players dont congest the middle of the park !! the best evidence of that was yesterday - when Brew compacted Black, Duncan and Vigurs - good tactics even if he did get lucky after the goal - but Cowie is obviously a right foot and Imrie is a left foot. Have a look at our second goal yesterday - created by Cowie's natural wont to go rite.

Top European sides interchange - what do you think Man Ure fans would say if Fergie played Ronaldo on the left fer the whole game or Giggs on the rite - or Gooners about Van Persie on the rite etc., etc. They use it as a tactical switch not the full game plan.

If we had used the interchange at Falkirk we may have won - another example of managerial arrogance.

:thumb04:

If a left footed player is playing on the right (or vice versa) then the only way they can get on to their favourite foot is by coming in field and thus congesting the middle of the park!!

I was playing football myself on Saturday so couldn't make it along but that was certainly the case at Falkirk and it almost paid off... and it seems against Hibs it did!

... and Man U have gone through previous European campaigns playing Rooney on the left side of midfield and Giggs on the right so that they could stiffle the opponent before opening the game up and having a go, although Fergie had his critics at the time for using this style

If you read my post you'd see I'm agreeing with you anyway you muppet, I'm not a massive fan of this type of play but I can see why Brew is trying this and against Hibs it obviously paid off

Hairy ya muppet - Did you not notice that at Falkirk - and it happened at Hibs - that Imrie hugged the feckin touchline and Cowie did likewise. When they were defending - especially at Falkirk Duncan and McBain really struggled. We lost the middle of the park at falkirk and we werent doing much better at Hibs until we scored.

We looked at our most dangerous when Cowie got fed up and moved to the right - as in the second goal.

We tried to get at least ten men behind the ball at all times at Hibs - we defended full stop - but it paid dividend and if we had swopped the wide players it could have been even better.