FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

SPL think tank

Kirishima

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/s...rem/7730721.stm

Walter Smith, Gordon Strachan, Jimmy Calderwood, John Hughes, Mark McGhee, Craig Levein were invited to the SPL forum.

Why these 6 and why not the rest. How about the only Highland manager, why wasnt he invited? Maybe previously the other 6 said no, or were overlooked? 4 out of the 6 are from the central belt. Jim Jeffries is surely a man to be there having more SPL experience than the lot of them...

Anyone know the reasons behind this? I assume they will be meeting in the central belt...

First on the agenda" - How to beat ICT at home...? Nah...

I think there has to be a reason as to why half were chosen and half were not. What decisions/ideas will be put forward, some could affect ICT and we have no say in the discussions.

For example (just if) one suggestion was that ICT pays for the away teams transportation and they all agreed. Or talking about the 16 team SPL?

Edited by Kirishima

I would imagine that at a meeting of the SPL committee, which is made up of all Chairmen, it was decided to form a committee of managers to address whatever the issues are and those were the ones chosen who would be best suited to the task.

Nothing sinister in that from what I can see.

First on the agenda" - How to beat ICT at home...? Nah...

I think there has to be a reason as to why half were chosen and half were not. What decisions/ideas will be put forward, some could affect ICT and we have no say in the discussions.

For example (just if) one suggestion was that ICT pays for the away teams transportation and they all agreed. Or talking about the 16 team SPL?

If Aberdeen did the same for the away teams and they all did the same for us it'd be fine.

Probably picked at random or a cross section of managers. They probably thought JC is a northern manager anyway who would have more input that CB.

No Edinburgh teams either. Or any forgeign input (hand in hand really)

• 4 weeks later...

I thought it sounded strange, Lex Gold needs a good boot up the erse for this one. I cannot understand why he went about things like this, ignoring other managers and only inviting the six he decided, its wrong, very very wrong! They are discussing a 16 team league!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ock/7782535.stm

The six were not chosen by Lex Gould. They were chosen, for their knowledge and experience of the game, by the SPL committee. Their remit to look at ways of improving and promoting the game in Scotland. They will report back to the SPL committee who will then decide what to do with the findings.

Nothing sinister in that.

Guest couchpotato

The six were not chosen by Lex Gould. They were chosen, for their knowledge and experience of the game, by the SPL committee. Their remit to look at ways of improving and promoting the game in Scotland. They will report back to the SPL committee who will then decide what to do with the findings.

Sinister or not, surely any "think tank" set up to make decisions that will affect all members should have represenatatives of all involved to avoid any suspicion of favouritism or cronyism,(surely not in Scottish football :o )

Sinister or not, surely any "think tank" set up to make decisions that will affect all members should have represenatatives of all involved to avoid any suspicion of favouritism or cronyism,(surely not in Scottish football :o )

I agree Couch potato. Why cant they have 12? Not enough chairs? Short of cash to buy 12 lunches? If we were all part of a football team and i chose half of the team to decide on the team name, would you not be aggrieved if we were all on the same level etc?

Up until Jim Jeffries spoke out I assumed the others had indicated they werent keen to attend. This is not the case. They were snubbed. Alex: if they were chosen for their knowledge and experience then why was Jim Jeffries chosen over Yogi?

I'm sorry but this selection of 6 managers was totally out of order if they wish to discuss the league then all managers should be invited whether they choos to go or not or have no value at being there i.e. Brewster.

Once again Lex Gold calls it wrong anybody surprised?