FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Who will be the 3 candidates?

Tichy_Blacks_Back

Lets face it unless we take a new untried Manager,or we are going to get Alex Ferguson whoever comes in is hardly going to have an unblemished managerial record.

No doubt about that, but the new man should be chosen on the basis of his previous record and suitability for the job, not emotion.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go off and check this stat, but I was told at the weekend that Robbo's career statistics show a win rate of something like 44% overall. I bet there's not many managers outwith the top teams in the SPL and EPL who can boast stats anything close to that.

I just recieved a text to say Butcher flew into Inverness airport this morning, I am not sure how accurate it is but what I was told

Hope he didn't do too much damage!!!

:rotflmao: :thumb04:

I could cope with Butcher being in charge, but I'm a bit mystified as to why he wants it. He would have to be very certain of us not relegating, or it makes him look like crap regardless of how many points we have at the moment.

Edited by alimci

I'll go off and check this stat, but I was told at the weekend that Robbo's career statistics show a win rate of something like 44% overall. I bet there's not many managers outwith the top teams in the SPL and EPL who can boast stats anything close to that.

While you're at it, could you check how that compares with his post-ICT record? We all know that he did very well with us in the First Division, but it's what he's done since leaving that concerns me.

It'd certainly interest me to hear his response to the "how much do you want this job?" question that Grassa has quoted to the press.

"I don't actually need this job, it'd just fill in the time I have to waste between Scotland games..."

I wonder if we appreciate the strength this position will give someone to showcase himself.

I accept that Butcher is still involved in football but only on the sidelines - this position he will see as long term gain.

Keep us up, do well next year (for us), move to English first/second, then up to Premier - that is the thinking, I would suggest.

It is like winning the lottery if they manage to follow that path but as Dale says 'you have to be in it to win it' and currently most names being discussed on here are not currently in it! Hence the difficulty of getting the head round some names that seem interested.

I wonder if we appreciate the strength this position will give someone to showcase himself.

I accept that Butcher is still involved in football but only on the sidelines - this position he will see as long term gain.

Keep us up, do well next year (for us), move to English first/second, then up to Premier - that is the thinking, I would suggest.

It is like winning the lottery if they manage to follow that path but as Dale says 'you have to be in it to win it' and currently most names being discussed on here are not currently in it! Hence the difficulty of getting the head round some names that seem interested.

Except if we go down he's in a worse position than he would have been if he didn't take the ICT job, as he can add crap at ICT to crap at Brentford in his CV.

Except if we go down he's in a worse position than he would have been if he didn't take the ICT job, as he can add crap at ICT to crap at Brentford in his CV.

Exactly!! Hence my final sentence!

Why was Robbo 'rubbish' when he left?

In November 2004 he returned to Hearts as head coach and despite two cup semi-finals and a good season in Europe as well as finishing 5th in the league, he was sacked in May 2005. He was appointed manager of Scottish First Division team Ross County in June 2005, but left by mutual consent after four months, after being asked to sack 8 players immediately despite being told at start of season that clubs finances were fine and not under threat he left rather than having to sack the players as he felt let down by the Ross County chairman.

He was appointed manager of Livingston in February 2006,. Robertson was sacked by Livingston in April 2007 after finishing 6th in the First Division.

He was appointed by League of Ireland side Derry City in July 2007.He took club out of the relegation battle to a safe mid table position and also won the FAI League Cup and qualified for the prestigous Setanta cup

Robbo was not sacked by Hearts. Romanov came in. Robbo refused to be a puppet. he was offered a coaching role but chose to leave.

I have an awful feeling butcher will take us down. The damage has been done by Brewster, we need someone to come in, stabilise the club, get that togetherness that was always so strong at ICT back. Personally i dont think Butcher is the man, but if he gets the job i hope he completely proves me wrong.

Edited by mikeyrob73

My understanding is that to all intents and purposes Robbo was sacked as manager at Hearts. It was reported that after Romanov came in, Robbo's wishlist of signing targets for spending the massive budget included the likes of Golabek, which led his new masters to believe that Robbo did not have sufficient vision or ambition to take the club forward.

But there's no disgrace at all in being forced out by that regime.

My understanding is that to all intents and purposes Robbo was sacked as manager at Hearts. It was reported that after Romanov came in, Robbo's wishlist of signing targets for spending the massive budget included the likes of Golabek, which led his new masters to believe that Robbo did not have sufficient vision or ambition to take the club forward.

But there's no disgrace at all in being forced out by that regime.

He was far from the last decent coach to part company with that particular regime.

whoever does get the job will get my full backing. think its time we get together and support whoever gets appointed. at the end of the day we all want the same thing.. survival.

good luck to the new man...

robbo :rotflmao:

I know not fully relevant to the current thread but good article from The Irish News on current predicament....

Brewster is shown high road at Caley

By Neil Strain

AND so it ends, caught up in the angry clamour of supporters and rumours of dissent in the first team squad.

When he returned to Inverness Caledonian Thistle in 2007, Craig Brewster was well aware that his appointment as manager was not a universally popular one, but even he will have been surprised by the speed of his sudden dismissal.

The final straw was ultimately drawn last week, during the club?s seventh consecutive league defeat, a 1-0 loss to Hamilton Academical, the Premier League new boys who many believed would be propping up the table this season.

Instead, it is the Highlanders who find themselves floundering at the midway point, struggling to pinpoint the path to safety.

These are worrying times in Inverness and, having worked so hard to establish themselves as a top flight outfit, they now find themselves facing the most crucial decision in their history.

For, if the right managerial candidate is not identified, they could be on a steady slope down the divisions, struck by a possibly mortal blow just as clubs are clamouring for fresh funds and security.

Since joining the senior ranks Caley have shown an awareness and business acumen that has allowed them to establish themselves as the principle force in the Highlands, stealing the march on fellow new arrivals, Ross County.

While County initially burned brightly, before being gripped by financial concerns and managerial upheaval, their neighbours in Inverness showed an eye for the long-term and flourished through good practice.

This season there have been a few worrying idiosyncrasies, the most obvious being the decision to sanction the signing of three new players by Brewster just weeks before his dismissal.

This appears to indicate that the board have, on this occasion, reacted to pressure from the fans and strayed from their vision for the season as a whole.

For, surely, if they had any doubts about Brewster, they would have acted sooner and given the new man time to bring in his own players and move others out during the January window.

If Caley are to survive they will instead have to be single-minded and emotionless in their

decision-making, particularly when it comes to the appointment of a new manager.

Then again, there is a picture emerging from behind the scenes of Brewster, an apparently unpopular, somewhat arrogant character.

By all descriptions, the main contender for the job is another former Caley boss and Brewster?s polar opposite.

John Robertson also lives in the Inverness area and has apparently been dreaming of such an opportunity, but having been dismissed from his two previous roles at Livingston and Derry, he will have to prove that he still has the appetite and ability for the job.

So must the other candidates and Thistle cannot afford to be swayed by nostalgia or even the lure of a ?big-name? with a dubious track record.

These are dangerous times in Inverness, ones that afford little margin for error or for flights of fancy.

While you're at it, could you check how that compares with his post-ICT record? We all know that he did very well with us in the First Division, but it's what he's done since leaving that concerns me.

Win - - Loss - - Draw

33.33% 33.33% 33.33% - Derry

29.41% 50.98% 19.61% - Livi

40.00% 26.67% 33.33% - C*unty

37.14% 37.14% 25.71% - Hearts

52.38% 32.14% 15.48% - ICT

41.15% 37.32% 21.53% - Overall

E&OE - Based on easiest figures I had to hand.

Win - - Loss - - Draw

From a thread on another site just before christmas:

Win%

Alex Ferguson - 57.99%

Arsene Wenger - 57.35%

Outside the 'big four' the best others reported were:

Two fifth placed spots for Spurs' Martin Jol? - 45.27%.

Juande Ramos, the 'super-manager' brought in to do what Jol couldn't? - 39.29%

Last years fifth for Everton's David Moyes? - 40.88%

Current super-favourites, Villa's Martin O'Neil? - 39.60%

41.15% looks pretty good IMO....

Win - - Loss - - Draw

Win%

Alex Ferguson - 57.99%

Arsene Wenger - 57.35%

copy and paste this info to the fax machine at TCS. :rotflmao:

Edited by jamieb

Win - - Loss - - Draw

Win%

Alex Ferguson - 57.99%

Arsene Wenger - 57.35%

World of difference between the Premiership and the Scottish First Division where the majority of Robbo's career stats are from

Edited by kencar