FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Who will be the 3 candidates?

Tichy_Blacks_Back

If he doesn't want to be a full-time 100% committed manager of Caley Thistle then Butcher should be told to take a running jump.

If this turns out to be the end game then Grassa and the board have messed it up again. Wouldn't surprise me one bit given their track record.

The board must have been satisfied with his commitment and we have to hope that the board have made the right desision and get right behind him

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he says yes then I really do think he and Maurice Mispass can keep us up.

These two couldn't keep up an erection in a brothel...

aye very constructive johnboy....get over it

according to gaudrian :rotflmao:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/ja...tcher-inverness

Inverness offer manager's job to Butcher

? Former England captain expected to accept post

? Scotland commitments likely to be unaffected

Terry Butcher will formally be offered the managerial position at Inverness Caledonian Thistle after his appointment was accepted at a meeting of the club's board tonight .

Butcher, the former England captain, had immediately emerged as the leading candidate to replace Craig Brewster, who was sacked a week ago, but Inverness officials were unclear if he was willing to sacrifice other commitments to accept the role. Butcher operates as a part-time assistant to the Scotland manager George Burley and also does punditry work for Setanta Sports.

Such problems have been ironed out after Butcher travelled to the Highlands today and met the Inverness chairman, George Fraser, and director of football Graeme Bennett. It is likely he will be allowed to continue in his Scotland coaching role.

Archie Knox, a former assistant manager of Rangers and Manchester United, and John Robertson had also been interviewed for the post at the Scottish Premier League's bottom club. While Knox is currently out of football, it is believed he would have had to sacrifice the remainder of a ?400,000-a-year contract from Blackburn Rovers ? the club he left a month ago ? if moving to Inverness and was unwilling to do so.

Robertson, who has already managed Inverness, is the board's fall-back plan in the unlikely event that Butcher declines their offer.

Butcher's appointment, initially to the end of this season, could be confirmed as early as tomorrow afternoon; his first match would be against the SPL champions and current leaders, Celtic, on Sunday. Maurice Malpas, who assisted Butcher during his tenure at Motherwell, would also join the Inverness coaching staff.

Inverness remain only a point adrift of 11th-placed Falkirk despite losing eight league matches in succession, a run which has placed their top-flight status in serious jeopardy.

If this is true then it is great news.

And stop this nonsense about being the assistant manager of a team that plays 5 or 6 games a year being a bad thing. Him being the national team assistant is a good thing for us.

If he says yes then I really do think he and Maurice Mispass can keep us up.

Butchers managerial record is mediocre to say the least. Also in his previous posts his man management skills came into question on numerous occasions!!

Although I would like to remain upbeat, I do however think that this would be the wrong decision. If I had a choice between Butcher and Sutton - I would pick Sutton (despite his rookie status). How many people would get such resounding endorsements from one of the Premierships most talented managers, Martin O'Neill. Prior to been linked to the Inverness job the hosts on Sky Sports could not speak more highly of him and suggested that he could easily step into management at one of the top championship sides.

Overall I dont think Butcher is the right choice - however I maybe wrong and if appointed I really hope I am wrong.

Edited by Wilsononourwing

I'm getting all excited lol. Is there any chance of an official announcement being made tonight as I have school tomorrow and don't really want to wait until i get home to find out who the new manager is. I personnaly would have chosen Robbo but i'm quite happy with Butcher and I hope all the ICT fans will get 100% behind whoever the new manager is. :rotflmao:

Edited by caleyfan4ever

I'm getting all excited lol. Is there any chance of an official announcement being made tonight as I have school tomorrow and don't really want to wait until i get home to find out who the new manager is. I personnaly would have chosen Robbo but i'm quite happy with Butcher and I hope all the ICT fans will get 100% behind whoever the new manager is. :rotflmao:

hold on trigger - I think El Tel has gone away to think about the offer - probably confirm to club tomorrow Yeh or Nah....

hold on trigger - I think El Tel has gone away to think about the offer - probably confirm to club tomorrow Yeh or Nah....

Ok thanks. I'm just going to go to bed then. Night everyone.

So looks like Butcher & Malpas

Robbo was always my first choice, but lets face it Butcher & Malpas have bags of experience on the pitch

Im sure Butcher will be a great motivator, you dont captain your national team without that

I think they did a good job at Motherwell during a difficult time there, so they seem to work well

Lets get behind them for the remaining games and take stock once the season is over and our survival is confirmed.

I've still got major doubts about this...

Much of Motherwell's success during Butcher's tenure, was thanks to players like McFadden and Pearson that were coming through the ranks at that time. They started to slide when these two moved on.

Nether him or Malpas have achieved anything since.

I sincerely hope they make a success of this, but I have major doubts - if they don't save us from the drop the ramifications will be too awful to contemplate.

It really makes you wonder how much the board care about the future of this club...

according to gaudrian :rotflmao:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/ja...tcher-inverness

Inverness offer manager's job to Butcher

? Former England captain expected to accept post

? Scotland commitments likely to be unaffected

Terry Butcher will formally be offered the managerial position at Inverness Caledonian Thistle after his appointment was accepted at a meeting of the club's board tonight .

Butcher, the former England captain, had immediately emerged as the leading candidate to replace Craig Brewster, who was sacked a week ago, but Inverness officials were unclear if he was willing to sacrifice other commitments to accept the role. Butcher operates as a part-time assistant to the Scotland manager George Burley and also does punditry work for Setanta Sports.

Such problems have been ironed out after Butcher travelled to the Highlands today and met the Inverness chairman, George Fraser, and director of football Graeme Bennett. It is likely he will be allowed to continue in his Scotland coaching role.

Archie Knox, a former assistant manager of Rangers and Manchester United, and John Robertson had also been interviewed for the post at the Scottish Premier League's bottom club. While Knox is currently out of football, it is believed he would have had to sacrifice the remainder of a ?400,000-a-year contract from Blackburn Rovers ? the club he left a month ago ? if moving to Inverness and was unwilling to do so.

Robertson, who has already managed Inverness, is the board's fall-back plan in the unlikely event that Butcher declines their offer.

Butcher's appointment, initially to the end of this season, could be confirmed as early as tomorrow afternoon; his first match would be against the SPL champions and current leaders, Celtic, on Sunday. Maurice Malpas, who assisted Butcher during his tenure at Motherwell, would also join the Inverness coaching staff.

Inverness remain only a point adrift of 11th-placed Falkirk despite losing eight league matches in succession, a run which has placed their top-flight status in serious jeopardy.

Won't be Knox then.

Looks like it is Butcher then - the club have actually had two meetings with him and he is expected back up north tomorrow morning for the press conference in the afternoon - that is unless he changes his mind overnight.... :rotflmao:

Scotsman - Butcher offered Inverness job

Butcher offered Inverness job, with Malpas his No 2

Date: 27 January 2009

By ALASDAIR FRASER

TERRY Butcher was last night offered the Inverness Caledonian Thistle manager's job and is expected to be confirmed in the post today.

The Highlands club made their choice at a full board meeting yesterday evening after meeting the former Rangers and England captain twice in the last three days.

It is believed Butcher, who pipped former Inverness and Hearts manager John Robertson in the board's estimation, will be handed the role initially until the end of the season only.

It is also understood the 50-year-old made the appointment of Maurice Malpas, his assistant while manager of Motherwell, a condition of his acceptance.

Talks between Butcher and club officials ironed out concerns regarding the candidate's other commitments, namely his part-time role as Scotland assistant manager and well-paid position as pundit for Setanta Sports.

The SPL outfit ? imperilled by a run of eight straight defeats ? were still remaining tight-lipped on developments last night. But it is understood they hope to parade Butcher at the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium as early as this afternoon.

Robertson, who managed the club to First Division title success between December 2002 to November 2004 before being lured to Hearts, was still under consideration as late as yesterday evening.

In the unlikely event that Butcher declines the job offer, the Tynecastle goalscoring legend would immediately be back in strong contention.

But interest in former Blackburn assistant manager Archie Knox is thought to have cooled because of his significant contractual ties to the Lancashire club. Former Celtic striker Chris Sutton and Argentina and Tottenham legend Ossie Ardiles were widely quoted as contenders to succeed Craig Brewster, who was sacked last week, but neither are thought to have proven persuasive to the board.

Butcher, the former Sunderland, Coventry, Motherwell and Sydney FC manager, is viewed as the kind of motivator and disciplinarian who could galvanise the club, who sit two points adrift in the relegation battle.

Butcher is understood to have travelled north yesterday morning to meet for a second time with Caley Thistle directors. He was initially interviewed in Edinburgh on Saturday morning by Graeme Bennett, the club's director of football, and chairman George Fraser.

Inverness, for their part, have sought assurances regarding Butcher's considerable commitments, but are not expected to demand he abandon either his international involvement or television work. Malpas, who was considered a candidate in his own right only a matter of days ago, would offer a compromise solution whereby Butcher would have solid backing if otherwise occupied.

The club are expected to issue a statement confirming their choice this morning before parading the new manager at the stadium at the earliest opportunity.

The Herald are running a similar story this morning also.... Butcher favoured for Inverness post

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back

Malpas, who was considered a candidate in his own right only a matter of days ago, would offer a compromise solution whereby Butcher would have solid backing if otherwise occupied

This part worries me, hopefully the board will only have considered him if he is 100% committed,