FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Butcher is Boss

Renegade

Here are a couple of quotes from Motherwell fans on P&B just to provide some balance, given what we've heard from Brentford on this thread:

Butcher was an excellent 'Well manager and worked through the hardest financial period at the club in my lifetime. He achieve top 6 finishes and also some amazing results against both the Old Firm and a demolision of Hearts. He also guided us to Hampden on more than one occassion.

He will do well with Inverness and I expect it all to be VERY tight at the bottom this year.

to guide the worst team in the SPL with not a penny and only a youth team to sign players from to THREE Semi Finals, a Runners Up medal, and two top-six finishes is easily up there with the greatest achievement in recent times in Scotland - MUCH more an achievement in winning the league with an Old Firm side anyhow.

Butcher is a good manager, a great motivator and a spirited guy. He is well respected and very well known all over this Island - and beyond - and has many contacts and friends in the game. Ideal appointment for ICT imo and I would be delighted if I were them. He will get the absolute best out of your, no offence - average players.

Butcher will also expand our horizons south of the border. Still a well known name down there and I wouldn't be surprsied if we get some exposure on 5Live tonight, something that would have been unlikely if Robbo got the gig

I admit Butcher wasnt my first choice but i will get behind him and the team and it seems ok there is some negativity amongst the caley fans but most seem to be from brentford fans (remba every manager has a bad spell) so he has finished with you and if you dont want to wish him luck or something dont post and i doubt that every brentford fan has a bad view of Butcher

Guest McLokster

Another Brentford fan here.

Whilst he did a terrible job with us there might be reasons to be more positive at ICT.

At Brentford he came in knowing nothing about lower division English football or players, whereas he knows quite a lot about Scottish football. He's got Malpas as his assistant. Hopefully he's also learnt some lessons from managing us that he can apply to the job. He did a good job at Motherwell.

I hope it works out. He's a nice bloke but I think we've had a run of terrible managers (between Martin Allen and Andy Scott) so we've become less sympathetic and more cynical.

I'm very worried about the 18 month contract he is rumoured to have been offered.

Wouldn't it have made sense to have offered him a contract until the end of the season, and then review the whole situation?

We could finish up in a situation here, where if we did get relegated we wouldn't be able to afford to pay him off, and would probably not be able to afford to pay him to stay on. Will he expect a premier league salary if we finish up in Div1?

This appointment could bankrupt the club, if the unthinkable happened at the end of the season.

If we get relegated will he stay? Every chance he'd walk.

I admit Butcher wasnt my first choice but i will get behind him and the team and it seems ok there is some negativity amongst the caley fans but most seem to be from brentford fans (remba every manager has a bad spell) so he has finished with you and if you dont want to wish him luck or something dont post and i doubt that every brentford fan has a bad view of Butcher

I dare say if Brewster was to become manager of Brentford there would be a few ICT fans posting on their website and I am sure it wouldnt be good luck messages for Brewster.

I'm very worried about the 18 month contract he is rumoured to have been offered.

Wouldn't it have made sense to have offered him a contract until the end of the season, and then review the whole situation?

We could finish up in a situation here, where if we did get relegated we wouldn't be able to afford to pay him off, and would probably not be able to afford to pay him to stay on. Will he expect a premier league salary if we finish up in Div1?

This appointment could bankrupt the club, if the unthinkable happened at the end of the season.

Yeah.... but the point is Alex - He'd want paid for the remainder of his contract - reported yesterday by Setanta to be an 18 month deal...

Looking at Brentford manager since the 1997 season in all fairness you aint a good club for your manager are you:

Eddie May - 5 August 1997 - 5 November 1997

Micky Adams - 5 November 1997 - 1 July 1998

Ron Noades - 1 July 1998 - 20 November 2000

Ray Lewington - 20 November 2000 - 7 May 2001

Steve Coppell - 8 May 2001 - 5 June 2002

Wally Downes - 28 June 2002 - 14 March 2004

Garry Thompson - 14 March 2004 - 18 March 2004

Martin Allen - 18 March 2004 - 30 May 2006

Leroy Rosenior 14 June 2006 - 18 November 2006

Scott Fitzgerald - 18 November 2006 - 9 April 2007

Barry Quin - 9 April 2007 - 7 May 2007

Terry Butcher - 7 May 2007 - 11 December 2007

Andy Scott - 11 December 2007 - Present

Yeah.... but the point is Alex - He'd want paid for the remainder of his contract - reported yesterday by Setanta to be an 18 month deal...

You dont get paid if you walk

Another Brentford fan here.

Whilst he did a terrible job with us there might be reasons to be more positive at ICT.

At Brentford he came in knowing nothing about lower division English football or players, whereas he knows quite a lot about Scottish football. He's got Malpas as his assistant. Hopefully he's also learnt some lessons from managing us that he can apply to the job. He did a good job at Motherwell.

I hope it works out. He's a nice bloke but I think we've had a run of terrible managers (between Martin Allen and Andy Scott) so we've become less sympathetic and more cynical.

Thats more like it :rotflmao: :thumb04: said there would be positive ones somewhere

True.... But you do if you get sacked...

He hasnt even been formally announced yet and we are discussing him leaving, come on guys give the guy a chance

Guest jimmytrain

One of the Auld Enemy as boss. Would have been better with Malpas. Dont think we will be saved from the drop, Still I could be wrong as usual. Did no one think of contacting Cantona? :rotflmao:

Guest AnotherBee

Hi guys,

Another Bee joining the ICT fan club down here :rotflmao: , instead of posting negative stuff i'll just put a link to our forum post when he was appointed Brentford Manager It's pretty much a carbon copy of this thread (fans of TB's previous clubs telling us of what to expect and 'Well fans telling us he's the best). Looking back at that thread Hindsight would be a great thing lol !

I personally think he will do well for ICT, going by the great job he did in the SPL before, he seems to be a good "firefighter" so to speak. (it was a different scenario with his times at Coventry, Sunderland, Sydney and us).

All the best , hope you stay up !

Well said Stevico, people walking......sackings........relegation........for gods sake guys get a grip. Can you not look at this as the start of an new era for the Club and lets all get firmly behind the new management combo and the team.

Lets forget all the negativity of the past few weeks and move on............hard for some I know, certain people thrive on controversy and unfortunately negativity breeds negativity both on and off the park.

Think positive and stop all the whinging about what might have been and even more so predicting doom and gloom for the future.

PS

Johnboy fill up your pipe from your avatar and chill out........................... may help cheer you up.

While I was definitely in the Robbo camp, I'm also very much in the 'Anything's got to be better than Brewster' camp, so I'm cautiously optimistic about Butchers appointment.

How about giving the guy a chance? I'm certainly going to. I've watched some of the worst, most depressing, negative, soul destroying, clueless football of my life over the last few months, so anything different is going to be a positive in my eyes.

Yes, Butcher's career hasn't been the best, and the guy may well get up some peoples noses, but I'm not really bothered about his past record, or his personality.....if he can get us out of this mess then he'll do for me.

We've seen our club come close to disintergration over the last few months, so nows the perfect opportunity to unite and get ourselves out of this mess.

I'll get behind him and the team and give him a chance. Only thing that bothers me is the 'part-time' bit of it? Is he really going to be totally focused on ICT all the time?

Can i just say....Butcher will get my full backing if, as expected, he is unvieled as manager. I thought he did an excellent job at Motherwell under difficult circumstances.....and recall well playing good football. And at the end of the day...as long as i feel i have been entertained, i will be happy.

Coventry, Sunderland and Sydney fans hate him, they were all over us telling us about his 4-5-1 negative football but we had the old "You're Aussies and what would you know" superiority mentality and that Cov and Sunderland was years ago. You will probably feel the same with League 2 fans on here but he is hated by us which is a shame as he was a damn fine player and probably a decent fella.

Remind us of anyone :rotflmao:

Sounds like we have another Brewster :018:

It's all the Boards fault - sack him now! Oh wait, they can't, he has not been appointed yet.

I said on here after Brew was sacked, that this wee club will never be the same again now that it has the perceived strength of this medium. No one will be the choice of all the posters but the Robbo backers will endeavour to undermine the new manager so that they can say"See, I told you so!"

It is evident already with all the negativity being posted.

Get behind your team? There was a day!

The team/club have my full backing, along with sympathys and condolences :thumb04: after this appointment, I will give Butcher a chance and maybe time will tell whether he is right for the club or not..... at this moment in time like im sure many others i dont think he is the right man for the job and i doubt he gives two jack ***** at that so why should you ?, I support Inverness Caledonian Thistle and will continue to do so until my dying day but there is nothing in that saying I have to support Terry Butcher, he like any individual player or manager is not and never will be bigger than the club , I have as much right to an opinion as everybody else, as do you, but do not lecture me on backing and support. ;)