FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

What Is It To Be Scottish?

Lady Madonna

I'm very proud to be Scottish and proud too to be a Scottish patriot. There is nothing like going to a football or rugby international to get the blood racing. Sometimes though I wonder if the players have any blood in their veins at all the way they play.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the other is coming over the hill on the A9 and looking down on Inverness.

Yup, that one works for me too ..... and normally I have to switch the CD/iPod or whatever to one of my "coming home" songs ..... such as Frankie Miller - Caledonia, Big Country - Harvest Home / In a Big Country, or a few others I cant think of right now .... :rotflmao:

Good shout on Big Country, great Scottish band and provided a great soundtrack for a Scottish patriots film in Restless Natives.

I love been Scottish and i'm proud of it. Proud of our history and what we have today, kilts, bagpipes, football, rugby, celidhs.

Also our accents whether Highland or anywhere else we are easily spotted, which i love.

Nothing makes me proud be Scottish I have to say, and since leaving and looking at it from the outside looking in instead of the inside looking out at times I'm pleased I aint there. But think about it. The flag, boring, weather, terrible, bagpipes, terrible (like nails on a blackboard), football, poor, kilts, you wouldn't catch me dead wearing one, scenery, boring, I think you get the idea. And on the subject of kilts, since when was being a transvestite called tradition? It's also interesting to note that a lot of this traditional Scottish stuff isn't from Scotland at all. For example - kilts (Irish), porridge (Italian, probably Chinese before that), telephone (Italian), clans (Irish, as is tartan IIRC), gaelic (Irish), bagpipes (Indian I think). I tell you one thing I like about Scotland though and Inverness especially is the tap water. Very nice indeed, second only to the Paris water actually.

Take that back now!

the other is coming over the hill on the A9 and looking down on Inverness.

Yup, that one works for me too ..... and normally I have to switch the CD/iPod or whatever to one of my "coming home" songs ..... such as Frankie Miller - Caledonia, Big Country - Harvest Home / In a Big Country, or a few others I cant think of right now .... :rotflmao:

Good shout on Big Country, great Scottish band and provided a great soundtrack for a Scottish patriots film in Restless Natives.

I love been Scottish and i'm proud of it. Proud of our history and what we have today, kilts, bagpipes, football, rugby, celidhs.

Also our accents whether Highland or anywhere else we are easily spotted, which i love.

Likewise Scotty/ajsict92 one of my fav coming home songs from Big Country is Far from me to you from the album Why the long face, the guitar solo towards the end is one for turning right up coming over the hill into Inverness.

Good shout also CaleyD I like it :thumb04:

Edited by Dmacca

For me, it's the 'Caledonia' phenomenon.

Check out the opening sequence of Monty Hall's show from Applecross on the box on Sunday night.

If you wish you were there and a living breathing part of that country then that would maybe give you the feeling of what it is to be a Scotch-man, or rather a Highlander.

I clearly recall living in London and nearly greetin at the scenery on Monarch of the Glen, I'd never really experienced homesickness until then.

It's always highland phenomena that really get me - the moors, the stags, the mountains, the glens, the slate grey skies and seas, with the odd blue sky day just to show off what it can do when it wants.

Views over Auld reekie can do it too.

Not so keen on the Weegie end of our wee corner of the cosmos right enuff. If Glesga was to become part of England-shire, that would solve all my problems with the bonus that the the OF could then join the EPL, although they'd be more at home somewhere in Oireland apparently. Not to keen on Eberdeen either now that I think about it.

Edited by beachcomber

It depends greatly on where in Scotland you come from. Invernesians have a stronger feeling of historic engagements with the foe to the south whereas the lowlanders give less of a crap to their nationality having sat on the fence and in many cases joined the foe.

Being Scottish is always being the underdog, always rising to a challenge, always producing more in reality than on paper. Never say die fighting spirit.

Look at the national football team in the 1970's - some good players, yes but the fighting spirit to make brasil, holland etc. look average. Our failing is that we don't step up to the plate until our backs are against a wall.

And on the subject of kilts, since when was being a transvestite called tradition?

I think being a transvestite came after kilts, so maybe you need to rethink that statement.

Eh? No

Antonio Meucci is probably who he is referring to .... http://www.telephonetribute.com/telephone_inventors.html

Correct. Poor Meucci invented the telephone and then that thief Bell stole it from him.

Nothing makes me proud be Scottish I have to say, and since leaving and looking at it from the outside looking in instead of the inside looking out at times I'm pleased I aint there. But think about it. The flag, boring, weather, terrible, bagpipes, terrible (like nails on a blackboard), football, poor, kilts, you wouldn't catch me dead wearing one, scenery, boring, I think you get the idea. And on the subject of kilts, since when was being a transvestite called tradition? It's also interesting to note that a lot of this traditional Scottish stuff isn't from Scotland at all. For example - kilts (Irish), porridge (Italian, probably Chinese before that), telephone (Italian), clans (Irish, as is tartan IIRC), gaelic (Irish), bagpipes (Indian I think). I tell you one thing I like about Scotland though and Inverness especially is the tap water. Very nice indeed, second only to the Paris water actually.

Take that back now!

Eh? No

Dour is usually the first adjective used in relation to the Scots (closely followed by drunken right enuff), but from that grim dark brooding presbyterian cloud of gloom occasionally emerges the most stunning flash of inspirational forked lightening which can generate enough energy to change lives and light up the whole world.

Without one we wouldn't get the other.

Aye mun, it's all part of being Jockanese

but from that grim dark brooding presbyterian cloud of gloom occasionally emerges the most stunning flash of inspirational forked lightening which can generate enough energy to change lives and light up the whole world.

:rotflmao: :thumb04: :018:

Thank feck we also possess an ability to laugh at one another..!!

;) :lol: :015:

It depends greatly on where in Scotland you come from. Invernesians have a stronger feeling of historic engagements with the foe to the south whereas the lowlanders give less of a crap to their nationality having sat on the fence and in many cases joined the foe.

A bit of a sweeping generalisation Mr A :rotflmao: :thumb04: :018: ;) :lol:

Certainly a good few people may have been swayed for business reasons. But down here we're a bit closer to the border than Sneckie is and there's been more animosity without necessarily taking part in uniformed combat :015: Not forgetting that we had Flodden, Bannockburn, Stirling Bridge etc. In fact, come to think of it - what a load of bollox :D

Also you forget that the ordinary people of Edinburgh were rioting in the streets when the aristocracy sold us out to the Union.

And those brave footballers you mentioned - where did most of them grow up? And the fans that followed them?

Edited by The Mantis

Views over Auld reekie can do it too.

Not so keen on the Weegie end of our wee corner of the cosmos right enuff. If Glesga was to become part of England-shire, that would solve all my problems with the bonus that the the OF could then join the EPL, although they'd be more at home somewhere in Oireland apparently. Not to keen on Eberdeen either now that I think about it.

I think that if you take away the numpties that support the OF, who call themselves British or Irish out of some dogmatic devotion to a cause by their twisted logic, which includes one lot supporting Palestine, so the others must support Israel etc etc etc- take away those and your average weegie is more patriotic than your average Edinburgher.

I always feel Aberdonians are very patriotic as well, but Edinburghers less so, because a huge part of the Edinburgh middle class is English. Edinburgh University has long been the third choice for those who can't get into Oxford/Cambridge and these people take the place over in the summer when the fringe is on. They like the quality of life and move up permanently.

Interesting though to know what would make you give up being Scottish? Personally, if someone said to me that for a free Mars bar I'd become English, I'd take it in a second. Same apllies for every other country really. I'd happily swap being Scottish for some other country's nationality any day and will take them from the majority of countries (except America probably cause you know what sort of reputation they have around the world).

Interesting though to know what would make you give up being Scottish? Personally, if someone said to me that for a free Mars bar I'd become English, I'd take it in a second. Same apllies for every other country really. I'd happily swap being Scottish for some other country's nationality any day and will take them from the majority of countries (except America probably cause you know what sort of reputation they have around the world).

Have you forgotten to take your medication today?

:rotflmao:

I think it's the same for any tribe, clan or nation, it's a romantic attachment to the history and heritage to your roots, something that you take pride in. Yet in reality we seem to be on the path to assimilation, if not by the Borg then by the way of the western world, no doubt there's more folks wearing baseball caps in Glasgow, more wearing jeans in Motherwell, or wearing T shirts in Argyll than men wearing kilts, and nae doubt more lads drinking lager than 40/-, and so it goes.

But the question seems to be how to promote Scotland, and presumably not to the Scottish {for the most part}, but to the international tourist. Fair enough it's not all kilts and bagpipes, but if you leave those elements out then you might as well take the bait off the hook, it's what the proverbial "American" expects to see, it's all part and parcel of what visitors want to see when they visit Scotland.

It's a tough job these days getting folks to travel, money is tight worldwide, so you need the best bait and the best hooks to attract visitors to Scotland. The kilt, the bagpipes, the castles, the Edinburgh Tattoo, the Highland games, Gathering of the Clans, Tobermory, Skye, Fingals Cave, the lochs, the fishing, the distilleries etc have all added to the attraction of Scotland for a hundred years or more, so they are essential elements in promoting Scotland, they are all reliable repeat winners over the Course & Distance.

I think there are a lot of other things that haven't been played to their fullest, things that are coming in vogue now with all this "save the planet" malarky, there's a good number of places in Scotland where folks can go whale watching, or on a good day "swim with the dolphins" without having to fly to Florida.

But to me the incredible beaches particularly on the north or western coast of Scotland, rival anywhere in the world. About 4-5 years back on a trip to John O'Groats we discovered one of the best beaches I've ever come across near Caithness, not a sole around, in June at that ! I don't know if the place even had a name, I remember a castle or a Clan House sort of thing right close to the shore though.

I'd be promoting places like that to folks in the UK, let alone foreign visitors, the only downside is there aren't many places to stay, and some that we stayed in weren't up to what world travellers expect these days, mind you some of the B&B'S we stayed in were top notch, even though they were in remote places. I see that Applecross has been profiled by that bloke on TV that went to live there for 6 months, now folks have seen it they are pouring in...

Best bet these days is to give the prospective visitors what they expect to see, the kilts and the bagpipes etc, but then amaze them with the natural unspoiled beauty of so many places in Scotland.

Canada Bob.

ps... any of you know that beach near Caithness ? or any other knock out beaches in Scotland ?

Edited by Canada Bob

If only I could swap being fekkin English to become Scottish, for the price of a mars bar, you'd be smothered in them.

As for knocking "Americans" well the more of them that I've got to now the more I like them and respect them, few folks are more charitable, considerate or easy to get on with than the vast majority of Americans. Odd how folks who knock them imitate them in what they wear, what they eat, what they watch on TV, the songs they listen to and so on.

My guess is that 60 years ago when the standard of living in the US turned the rest of us green with envy we {the rest of the world} vented our spleens on them then, and carried that on doing that ever since, what they have the rest of the world want, in a nut shell, a better standard of living for the average working class bloke {than his own cuntry would have afforded him}.

Edited by Canada Bob

If only I could swap being fekkin English to become Scottish, for the price of a mars bar, you'd be smothered in them.

As for knocking "Americans" well the more of them that I've got to now the more I like them and respect them, few folks are more charitable, considerate or easy to get on with than the vast majority of Americans. Odd how folks who knock them imitate them in what they wear, what they eat, what they watch on TV, the songs they listen to and so on.

My guess is that 60 years ago when the standard of living in the US turned the rest of us green with envy we {the rest of the world} vented our spleens on them then, and carried that on doing that ever since, what they have the rest of the world want, in a nut shell, a better standard of living for the average working class bloke {than his own cuntry would have afforded him}.

I aint bashing yanks at all. It's just in some countries (mostly the middle eastern ones) if a local finds out your American they'll most likely blow your head off in the first given opportunity.

Edited by Renegade

I aint bashing yanks at all. It's just in some countries (mostly the middle eastern ones) if a local finds out your American they'll most likely blow your head off in the first given opportunity.

Thanks to Tony Blair it's not just Americans that would suffer a fate like that.

What a feckin great thread an fer once I will be strictly serious:

I have always been fascinated by the history of the Jacobites - my Aunt was actually a spey wife who told me that she could sense the aura of a Jacobite around me and told me that I was undoubtedly a Jacobite soldier in a former life. I have some great memories of older relatives who are fiercely Scottish and they have installed the national fervour in me.

I wear the kilt with an absolute sense of pride - I wear the same outfit that I wear to games - well a wee bit more dressed up - to dos as that is me - the Jacobite - rough and feckin ready.

But it is scenery that means the most to me - I went through a host of close bereavements many years ago - and I can only say that I was drawn to a specific spot - by the words of my dead father in a troubled dream - he guided me to a spot on Lochend Beach - where a wreck of an old boat remains to this day. I can recall going there and looking out to the loch - and it was twilight and misty and the moon shone through - I could even feel the emotion surging through me with a total sense of relief.

I have often gone there again - especially in regard to a birth or death - sit there, throw stones into the water and enjoy the most marvellous feeling.

I often laff as my family have visited Bannockburn and Culloden - Lesley (wife) and Jordan (stepson) have experienced severe asthma attacks every time whereas Isla and Vicki (true blood) have always felt what they call a "presence" - they have both called it as a "shiver that makes you warm all over".

The Braveheart speech and the beheading still bring tears to my eyes as dose Ye Jacobites by name.

And if ya want another peek at ma erse tattoo - I am all yours. xx

The Jacobites was one of my favorite topics in school. Loved every minute of studying it. Had the privelege of getting to wear a full outfit while doing a school trip there many years ago.