FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT to Move?

Renegade

I don't think it comes as a surprise to anyone that the club have ambitions for a stadium which is better than we have at TCS. In fact, I think it would be safe to say that whilst we don't fill all our seats at every home game, the club has outgrown TCS and many of the facilities we fans would like to see and the club would love to provide just can't be accommodated within the current stadium or the current setup.

ICT have often been accused of lacking ambition or operating in a manner not befitting the level the team play at. I've been one of those who's made such statements, but I believe we are starting to see them stepping up to the plate with some real drive to move the club forward.

Maybe we got a little complacent during our last spell in the SPL and relegation provided the boot up the backside needed, perhaps it was our bouncing straight back after that setback that's shown them what we are really capable off, it could be Terry's energy, drive and commitment with the playing side that's rubbing off....or perhaps it's a bit of a combination of everything....I don't know, but I like what I see these days and whilst we'll always have things that some people don't like or stuff that goes wrong (that's life), so long as people are giving their all and pushing the right way, then long may it continue.

I don't think it comes as a surprise to anyone that the club have ambitions for a stadium which is better than we have at TCS. In fact, I think it would be safe to say that whilst we don't fill all our seats at every home game, the club has outgrown TCS and many of the facilities we fans would like to see and the club would love to provide just can't be accommodated within the current stadium or the current setup.

ICT have often been accused of lacking ambition or operating in a manner not befitting the level the team play at. I've been one of those who's made such statements, but I believe we are starting to see them stepping up to the plate with some real drive to move the club forward.

Maybe we got a little complacent during our last spell in the SPL and relegation provided the boot up the backside needed, perhaps it was our bouncing straight back after that setback that's shown them what we are really capable off, it could be Terry's energy, drive and commitment with the playing side that's rubbing off....or perhaps it's a bit of a combination of everything....I don't know, but I like what I see these days and whilst we'll always have things that some people don't like or stuff that goes wrong (that's life), so long as people are giving their all and pushing the right way, then long may it continue.

well said.. it seems that there is more ambition. Not sure if that comes from Tel directly but we look to be stepping in the right direction.

Whether we'll see a new stadium.. dunno.. would love it but think there is a lot of other aspects of the club which need priority

Edited by Harry Chibber

Well the land that TCS sits on is worth a lot more now than it did when we moved there, maybe this is sowing the seed to developers.

Sounds nice a nice stadium.. but where? also sharing with Clach & Invss City? dont think so, pitch would not take it and an all weather pitch is out.

Cant see this happening for a long time.

Interesting.

I would be for this as I think it would improve football in the highlands.

In poor weather the players have to travel to Dingwall to train so I think It'd be beneficial to have training facilities in the city.

I could also maybe attract bigger names to the club and we would also produce more home grown players.

Well the land that TCS sits on is worth a lot more now than it did when we moved there, maybe this is sowing the seed to developers.

Sounds nice a nice stadium.. but where? also sharing with Clach & Invss City? dont think so, pitch would not take it and an all weather pitch is out.

plenty of other stadiums seem to manage with more than one team playing on it. I agree three is a bit much but two could work.

Why no for an all weather pitch? seems like a great idea to have. All weather pitches are fine for the SFL (as far as i remember) and lower leagues, so no reason why they couldnt be used for Clach and Inverness city if needed.

I like the idea of a community stadium. Brings the city together and as mentioned provides a focal point for football in the city.

I disagree, no reason why the pitch shouldn't be able to handle 2 or 3 games a week. Our current one is only used once a fortnight for matches, but it is used regularly for training with no ill effect. Remove the training from the main pitch and have external grass and artificial training surfaces on-site and you easily have a setup that can fulfil the needs of everyone mentioned.....and more. Aside from that, I can't see City or Clach having any need to use a full size stadium and if the external pitches were set up right then they could be used for their matches.

The "Where" is the big question. I think some still have an eye on the Bught but the development required to the road infrastructure to support it would be colossal...even if/when the new distributor crossing over the canal goes in.

Canal Pitches...perhaps in some kind of agreement to include the Rugby and American Football in the setup (happens with other clubs).

The A96 corridor still has ample space for such a development near to the city and as it develops would soon become as central as anything else.

The old Torvean Quarry would be big enough and also provide a natural amphitheatre which the development could be built in to. It would also provide natural protection from the worst of the elements and a sound barrier to keep noise contained. (Awaits "what noise" questions)

The Carse...in desperate need of development and as it's quite detached from other industrial areas then the council may be keen to develop it for other use.

The whole thing may seem a bit, as has been said..."Pie in the Sky"...and it certainly wouldn't be something that would happen any time soon....but the fact that it is being talked about is positive and if/when the opportunity presents then you already have your starting point, you'll know everyone's aims and objectives and have some idea as to the requirements the project would need to deliver. These things in themselves can take years to sort out before any thought is ever given to the location, design etc etc.

The "Where" is the big question. I think some still have an eye on the Bught but the development required to the road infrastructure to support it would be colossal...even if/when the new distributor crossing over the canal goes in.

Canal Pitches...perhaps in some kind of agreement to include the Rugby and American Football in the setup (happens with other clubs).

The A96 corridor still has ample space for such a development near to the city and as it develops would soon become as central as anything else.

The old Torvean Quarry would be big enough and also provide a natural amphitheatre which the development could be built in to. It would also provide natural protection from the worst of the elements and a sound barrier to keep noise contained. (Awaits "what noise" questions)

The Carse...in desperate need of development and as it's quite detached from other industrial areas then the council may be keen to develop it for other use.

Canal Pitches / Bught etc - wont happen. It is a logical choice given the area zoning for 'leisure' but infrastructure issues abound and thats before you ever get anywhere near answering questions that would be raised by other bodies/clubs/businesses who have some form of interest/ownership/lease on some part of the land in the area such as Rugby Club, Harriers, Shinty, Amateur/Welfare Football, Hockey etc.

A96 corridor - Stratton Farm was mentioned before TCS and seemed ideal (to some). Unfortunately, for others it was in the middle of nowhere, especially with the superb level of local public transport !!!!! Personally I do not like the location as it is about as far away as you can get from the 'traditional' home of Caley or Thistle !

Torvean Quarry - I will be honest and say I quite liked this idea when it was first mooted. A natural amphitheatre to build a cauldron like stadium but again, as much as the A96 corridor is miles away for folks on the western side of the city, the same applies to this location for those on the eastern side. Transport issues as well.

Carse. I believe this was the option favoured by most before the TCS was chosen but it was knocked on the head because of gas storage tanks in the area ? If B&Q / MFI etc are still unoccupied (which they were not at the time) then this could be an option although I would imagine the council might poo-poo it due to traffic congestion issues.

Nowadays, my preferred option would be to stay where we are and develop what we have. The TCS lies at the heart of what is slowly going to become a 'leisure village' (according to the local plan) and as such when the area starts to develop, could attract money that would allow us to redevelop the 'temporary' stands into permanent ones with a better design, to do something with the west side ... possibly making that whole side hospitality boxes that wouldnt require us to do anything with the high pressure gas line running along the side of the A9, and eventually to reformat and perhaps re-roof the main stand ........

As for land ownership .... not wishing to drag things back up again but it is not beyond the realms of possibility that ICT can - somewhere along the line - regain ownership of the stadium and given the local authority's propensity for selling off land for a song then it is also not 'pie in the sky' to think the land could also be purchased.

There is no substitute for a grass pitch though, I've played the Stenhousemuir one and numerous artifical grass pitches around Glasgow and they are no where near good enough to host a professional football team.

Was playing on one in Gifnock last night, and it's probably one of the best atificial pitches I've played but you should see the "graze" on my leg after making 2 or 3 sliding challenges.. and the problem is, if you play regularly, that the graze/cuts are re-opened and just get worse. Not to mention the fact the harder surface causes real problems with back pain and your turning circle being unnatural which leads to twists and sprains. There is actually talk of all bladed boots being banned from artifical surfaces around Glasgow because of the volume of injuries sustained.

There is no substitute for a grass pitch though, I've played the Stenhousemuir one and numerous artifical grass pitches around Glasgow and they are no where near good enough to host a professional football team.

Was playing on one in Gifnock last night, and it's probably one of the best atificial pitches I've played but you should see the "graze" on my leg after making 2 or 3 sliding challenges.. and the problem is, if you play regularly, that the graze/cuts are re-opened and just get worse. Not to mention the fact the harder surface causes real problems with back pain and your turning circle being unnatural which leads to twists and sprains. There is actually talk of all bladed boots being banned from artifical surfaces around Glasgow because of the volume of injuries sustained.

is that old skool astroturf or the modern fieldturf?

the latter is approved by FIFA and UEFA competitions

Toronto FC had a 'state of the art' artificial pitch since formation in 2007 until this season but it was ripped up in the close season and this year we are now playing on grass ....

the reason they put it in in the first place ..... because they had to !!! The stadium was part funded by the City of Toronto and one of the conditions of the funding was that BMO Field had to be available for "community use" so many hours per week or days per year. It was felt that grass would not stand up to this punishment so they went with the very highest quality artificial 'field turf'.

The reason it was taken out .... firstly the ball does not bounce true on it. Its an artificial surface and depending on how the ball lands on what is essentially a plastic surface it can go off in various directions ! secondly, several players at Toronto FC, and a few visiting ones (including David Beckham) maintained that it was harder on their joints than grass. We lost at least 4 players because of the artificial grass as it was making old knee injuries recur and even Beckham found a way to miss his first scheduled appearance in MLS which would have been in Toronto although he did make it to the All-Star game here later that year. Real Madrid also came here last season but would not agree to the friendly unless the artificial turf was overlaid with real grass for the game (which it was - at huge cost ... and then removed a few days later)

TFC spent millions in the close season putting in a top quality pitch heating and drainage system and then real grass. They still have to provide community time but instead of using BMO are now going to fully fund the building of 2 pitches in other areas of the city for community use.

Football is plastic enough these days ... without the pitches being the same !!!

I think Georges idea is more akin to whats at McDairmid. They have a grass pitch within the main stadium and artificial pitches nearby that are used for training, Sunday league and junior football.

As he says there can be a game on the main pitch each week and another on the artificial.

I also note that he emphasises that Inverness should build such a facility. That infers to me that he's hinting that HC be involved. A joint venture between ICT, Clach and HC could come to fruition a lot quicker than if it were just us involved. more especially in you can incorporate all weather surfaces that can be used by the likes of City and the various street clubs in the area.

is that old skool astroturf or the modern fieldturf?

the latter is approved by FIFA and UEFA competitions

astro grass... astro turf is only suitable for hockey.

Nowadays, my preferred option would be to stay where we are and develop what we have. The TCS lies at the heart of what is slowly going to become a 'leisure village' (according to the local plan) and as such when the area starts to develop, could attract money that would allow us to redevelop the 'temporary' stands into permanent ones with a better design, to do something with the west side ... possibly making that whole side hospitality boxes that wouldnt require us to do anything with the high pressure gas line running along the side of the A9, and eventually to reformat and perhaps re-roof the main stand ........

Out of all the options mooted, I like the sound of this ^^^ the best.

When i first joined these forums, one of the first posts i made was about the lack of Vision. I think one of the earlier posts said it right that we got complacent in the our first SPL adventure.

I for one welcome this announcement, although its a few years away, i hope im right in thinking that the club albiet with a strong local community aspect are thinking out of the box and planning for the future of the club as well as the City

Now would be a good time to get this in motion with cash to spend on football development but I dont think that the location is ready yet, we may even have our very own jail end, with SPS Inverness being our neighbours.

There is more chance of the A9 being dualled all the way to Thurso (remember that one from 2007?) than of us having a new stadium in the next 10 years.

Forget about it. heard it many times before and it ain't gonna happen.

I hope they stay at TCS and develop it rather than moving. I reckon opposition teams hate playing there due to the freezing winds off the Moray Firth and this gives ICT an advantage.

I certainly wouldnt like to see them relocate to anywhere further out of the city.

I hope they stay at TCS and develop it rather than moving. I reckon opposition teams hate playing there due to the freezing winds off the Moray Firth and this gives ICT an advantage.

I certainly wouldnt like to see them relocate to anywhere further out of the city.

Create the vision. Emphasise the benefits. Drop the hints and who knows.........The Bught's your oyster. City bypass. Multi-purpose sporting facility. All could fall into place

in an ideal world i'd like to see us move to a new stadium which would be combined with a second sports centre/swimming pool/velodrome and training facilities for the area, situated on land between the new inshes school and slackbuie area possibly, and with a tie in to schools and uhi possibly.

unfortunately we dont live in an ideal world and these things cost lots of cash :( although i dont see why local businesses and enterprise couldn't make it happen as it does on the continent because done right, with good facilities it could make money.

stade de tullochs?, caley dome? :lol: