The Official World Cup Thread

Renegade

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who will lower the flag? Danny Alexander?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...p.html?ITO=1490

Presumably the German flag will replace it?

strange, so many people have been told they can't fly the flag as it upsets different nationalities in England yet downing st can fly it. Don't get me wrong we should be able to fly our flag with pride (today's result aside) but surely this will upset the b123ards even more. :(

Now that England shire are on their way home, how soon will they lower the flag. Its just a reminder of how hurt they will be, and how bad they were.

Want to know if they will now raise the Saltire to support Andy Murray at Wimbledon, or shall they return to the Union Jack to support our fiercly Scottish talent. Or is Wimbledon and a Scot not important enough to give the respect to from the Government.

Anyway England were terrible, in fact they were worse than terrible in all 4 games. Trouble is they breezed through their qualifying group and Capello was a God. I was seriously worried they might go quite far this time. He stuck to the system that breezed the qualifying group and got slatted for doing it, but its not the manager to blame, as players did not perform, thet mostly seemed uninterested which is a disgrace. Rooney was their Maradona and Messi in one, and the guy just looked like one of us out their. The only ones who seemed to care was James and Gerrard, with flashes from a few others but that was it.

Should have been a goal, but think Germany would have still coasted it, but that we will never know. 44 years the Germans have waited for the decision to be rectified.

As said before the World Cup begins now, now that we know England cannot win it. I can now enjoy the rest of the games

Want to know if they will now raise the Saltire to support Andy Murray at Wimbledon, or shall they return to the Union Jack to support our fiercly Scottish talent. Or is Wimbledon and a Scot not important enough to give the respect to from the Government.

The Union Jack because he's representing the UK.

Each England player had a shot of being the star man and failed. Barry put in a huge effort for about three minutes around the sixty minute mark and Terry really fancied it for a couple of minutes just before the third goal. The fans appear to buy into the villain and hero culture that the media promote so heavily. The players buy into their own hype so badly and as a result, are either so frightened to make a mistake that might dent their ego, or are trying that 'Hollywood' pass to make them the hero. Germany just had a group of players that were playing a game, nothing more, and nothing less.

When Robinson made that mistake against Croatia, which was nothing more than bad luck, he was crucified. All that achieved was the loss of confidence for their best goal keeper. Why do they do it? With the reaction to Green mistake I thought that I had maybe misunderstood, and that he had actually been caught masturbating whilst watching his granny sleep but, alas, he had merely mishandled the ball in a game of football. The game in the UK is played under a fear culture where players are too frightened to relax, and will never have the mentality to win anything, with the exception of the Kirin cup. Lampard, Gerrard, Roonaaaaay, Terry, The Coleseses etc all play better for their clubs because club supporters in the UK tend to be a lot more supportive of their players, with the exception of Zebi Zadi. If an England player makes a mistake he is instantly pants and a list of other players that should have been picked instead is instantly discussed. Why is it not accepted that people balls up every now and then?

Also, getting rid of Capello would not be productive as he has lost two competitive games, against Russia and Germany, since starting over two years ago, which is not that bad. OK, they played poorly in the WC but who else could do any better? He should see it out to the Euros, just like Burley should have been left in charge of Scotland. The lynch mob mentality of the modern game has been shown time and time again not to work. The FA and Capello need to remain strong and ignore the teary eyed calls of the likes of Shearer for change.

P.S

That Lampard goal was genuinely laugh out loud I was soooooo gutted that I was by myself as I really wanted to hi five someone. They all new in an instant that it merely righted a wrong from many years ago, I forget what year though.....

England just prove that a bunch of over-paid pampered prima donnas cannot be melded into a team.

These players also proved that their only objective is money. No passion, no pride.

A disgrace.

Still, now we can get on with enjoying the remainder of the competition . . . :(

Meanwhile...........................back at the world cup, Argentina looked tremendous, although Mexico were excellent ball players as well.

Fantastic strike by Tevez, he has to be one of the best players in the world. Strong, energetic and explosive. He rode the tackle, maybe slightly fortuitous that the ball broke kindly, but he proceeded to lash the ball into the roof of the net from distance, goal of the tournament for me so far, closely followed by the Mexican goal, great turn and superb finish.

Argentina Germany quarter final is shaping up nicely. The Germans tore England a new one yesterday and should have won by an even greater margin, but 40-1 will suffice for now. England and Capello were found out at this level, simply brilliantly mediocre.

Nice to see England out, maybe some of the media hype will die down a little, and hopefully Andy Murray can now take centre stage.

England just prove that a bunch of over-paid pampered prima donnas cannot be melded into a team.

To be fair, England actually showed that they can play reasonably well for 90 minutes.

(90 minutes spread over 4 games)

After weeks of houses and cars covered in england flags, on school run today, 6 miles, 2 cars with flags still on and 6 houses with flags. The house opposite me took their flag down during the game. :025: :025: to all these loyal fans :( :D

To prove he is still alive Bin laden has issued a statement saying: "The English team were rubbish." However intelligence services have dismissed it , saying that it could have been recorded anytime in the last 44 years. :(

Also, getting rid of Capello would not be productive as he has lost two competitive games, against Russia and Germany, since starting over two years ago, which is not that bad. OK, they played poorly in the WC but who else could do any better? He should see it out to the Euros, just like Burley should have been left in charge of Scotland. The lynch mob mentality of the modern game has been shown time and time again not to work. The FA and Capello need to remain strong and ignore the teary eyed calls of the likes of Shearer for change.

Was with you in the whole thing right up until you said Burley should have been left in charge of Scotland. Eh naw! Why? He clearly lacked the tactical, organisational and motivation skills required for the job and never had the respect of anyone in his charge. It's fine being just a good motivator when you have the likes of Tevez, Messi, Higuain, Aguero, Di Maria, Mililto and so on but Scotland don't and Burley wasn't even that good a motivator.

3 wins against Iceland and Moldovia are not enough and a 3-0 pumping by a Welsh B team is not good enough either.

But as you said It's much to do with the English culture that results in substandard performances. I think the fact it's obvious to everyone else that England are at best a top 8 side is another major factor.

Yes that Lampard shot was over the line

It turns out the officials called that one absolutely right. Within FIFA's Laws of the Game, Section 30 Subsection 18 Para 7(d)(iii) clearly states that "ALL of the ball must be at least a foot over the line before the referee can even consider awarding England a goal"

Having David Will inside FIFA for all those years was not without benefits. :(

Meanwhile...........................back at the world cup, Argentina looked tremendous, although Mexico were excellent ball players as well.

Fantastic strike by Tevez, he has to be one of the best players in the world. Strong, energetic and explosive. He rode the tackle, maybe slightly fortuitous that the ball broke kindly, but he proceeded to lash the ball into the roof of the net from distance, goal of the tournament for me so far, closely followed by the Mexican goal, great turn and superb finish.

Argentina Germany quarter final is shaping up nicely. The Germans tore England a new one yesterday and should have won by an even greater margin, but 40-1 will suffice for now. England and Capello were found out at this level, simply brilliantly mediocre.

Nice to see England out, maybe some of the media hype will die down a little, and hopefully Andy Murray can now take centre stage.

Tevez is a tremendous player and although it's still a toss up between who's the better, him or Rooney, I think on the back of the world cup that question will be answered. His desire to win every game was shown when after scoring 2 goals last night he was raging with Maradona for substituting him.

You have to laugh at the reaction from the Saxons, goal line technology, grass roots football, players not good enough... for me it is Capello's fault and him alone, his formation failed, his selections failed and his man management failed.

These players were good enough, Gerrard is IMO is the best running midfielder in the world, Lampard has the best scoring ratio for any midfielder apart from Messi & Ronaldo (who could really be considered as forwards), 2 excellent attacking fullbacks and of course Rooney. If these players were played in a formation to suit they were more than capable of getting a result.

Some strange errors from Fabio when examined properly:

- the defence had a first team 4 but no-one to replace them (which experienced player would play with an injury to either A. Cole or Johnson?)

- no automatic replacement for Rio Ferdinand, instead Fabio chose players without knowing how well they played together. Carragher couldn't be bothered turning up and King was too injury-prone. He should have made sure the defence could fit by insisting these players turn up or are dropped.

- the team was picked on reputation, not form. Lampard was poor but was first pick to the detriment of a Gerrard, who looked half-decent but was completely sidelined out wide. Rooney never looked like he could score but rather than being dropped or moved out to the left, played every game as a non-scoring striker 'til the end.

- Heskey was never good enough. There to make Rooney play better but he never did. Crouch and Defoe would have scored goals but never got the chance.

- no replacement for Beckham. Gerrard, Lennon and Wright-Phillips were all tried with Walcott left at home. How come it was such a shock to Capello that his first 11 might not be fit? So few replacements.

- not having a first-team goalie was madness. He's had years to settle on one, yet never did.

It surprises me but Capello just didn't do enough preparation. Besides the goalie, he had 10 outfield players as his first team. No squad though ready to step in (how many games did Warnock, Carragher, King, Milner, Wright-Phillips have?), so the whole pack fell apart with one or two injuries.

Most of this is utter tosh other than the goalkeeper situation. Rob Green is nowhere near good enough and having Paul Robinson would have been more benificial.

However,

-Warnock never played as he was cover for Left back. Cole was one of the few English players who was any good and is one of the best left backs out there.

-Carragher went out as versatile cover for the whole back line- he was unavailable for the Slovenia game and Capello rightly kept a winning team for the next game, especially as Upson was fairly good against Slovenia.

-King has a dodgy knee but it was a groin strain that done him.

-Milner started the Slovenia game and was the best player on the pitch and so started against Germany but was nulified by Sweinstigers/Caderas tracking back and Johnsons inability to track back.

Wright Phillips was right sided cover for Lennon who was ineffectual. The truth is aside from Gerrard too few players turned up with their best game and they got done for it.

It's just utterly laughable that Capello has went from Don Fabio, the Squadfather to an inept mug in 4 games.

And he won't resign as he's just got a new ?6m a year deal for the next 4 years.

Tevez is a tremendous player and although it's still a toss up between who's the better, him or Rooney, I think on the back of the world cup that question will be answered. His desire to win every game was shown when after scoring 2 goals last night he was raging with Maradona for substituting him.

You have to laugh at the reaction from the Saxons, goal line technology, grass roots football, players not good enough... for me it is Capello's fault and him alone, his formation failed, his selections failed and his man management failed.

These players were good enough, Gerrard is IMO is the best running midfielder in the world, Lampard has the best scoring ratio for any midfielder apart from Messi & Ronaldo (who could really be considered as forwards), 2 excellent attacking fullbacks and of course Rooney. If these players were played in a formation to suit they were more than capable of getting a result.

Tevez has fantastic energy and enthusiasm but lacks the tactical nous required to be truly world class. Too often he burns himself out with needless pointless running about which puts him out of position and burns him out well short of the 90 minute mark. Rooney is a better player but looked dead on his feet. Rooney normally shows that same enthusiasm and desire and hates being subbed.

I saw the best and worst of Tevez last night. His work rate and eye for goal remain exemplary, however so often did he just run in a straight line to have someone dispossess him when a pass may have been available to his flank.

He's very good. But not top class.... yet.

And Gerrard was the best running midfielder at one point. But has never reached the heights of the Chamions league win for Liverpool and has been on a slow decline since.

Lampard scores goals and gets assists but lacks the abilty to control a game like Xavi or even Barry Ferguson(at all be it a much lower level) can/could.

Edited by iamthecaptain1

Tevez has fantastic energy and enthusiasm but lacks the tactical nous required to be truly world class. Too often he burns himself out with needless pointless running about which puts him out of position and burns him out well short of the 90 minute mark. Rooney is a better player but looked dead on his feet. Rooney normally shows that same enthusiasm and desire and hates being subbed.

I saw the best and worst of Tevez last night. His work rate and eye for goal remain exemplary, however so often did he just run in a straight line to have someone dispossess him when a pass may have been available to his flank.

He's very good. But not top class.... yet.

And Gerrard was the best running midfielder at one point. But has never reached the heights of the Chamions league win for Liverpool and has been on a slow decline since.

Lampard scores goals and gets assists but lacks the abilty to control a game like Xavi or even Barry Ferguson(at all be it a much lower level) can/could.

Tevez is not an all time great but in comparison to what's around at the moment he'd be in my top 5 forwards

Hart

Johnson Terry Upson* Cole

Barry

Milner Lampard Gerrard J.Cole

Rooney

*because no one better was available

That team beats Germany... but they didn't, they lost, I laughed :(

Hart

Johnson Terry Upson* Cole

Barry

Milner Lampard Gerrard J.Cole

Rooney

*because no one better was available

That team beats Germany... but they didn't, they lost, I laughed :(

Except it wouldn't because you've still got that abysmal back line in there. It would still provide you with some comedy though!

I think that line-up has a chance, with Barry concentrating on the defensive side. Still would fancy Germany but Harry's has got a much better chance.

Captain - you've misunderstood me. Many of my points were about preparation before the World Cup. My point was that Capello only cultivated a first team, not an experienced squad. The likes of Carragher, King, Milner and Warnock had little to no experience before the Finals, so injuries took a hard toll. Sure, Carragher or King are decent players but untried in that current defence. Put it this way, if ICT had done a Ross County and got to the Cup Final, would you have dropped Tokely from central defence to put in, say Bougherra? Possibly the best defender in Scotland but completely untried in our defence, with no understanding of how Munro plays.

Capello had years to prepare for the World Cup. Naturally, he'll have a first 11 but he also has to look beyond that, in anticipation of key players being injured. For such a meticulous, experienced man, I'm surprised he didn't insist on both King and Carragher having games before the World Cup. I could repeat myself about balancing the midfield, not being able to cover for injuries there, or playing players on reputation (Rooney hasn't scored for either club or country since that 'minor' injury in Munich) rather than form.

Capello may have struggled to win the game no matter what but the strict formation he played and selecting on reputation led to that huge loss. Having said that, he's lost two games in his whole time and coasted through qualifying. He deserves a chance to learn from his mistakes.

Burley? Something else entirely. A good club manager, that thrives on unearthing talent. It just doesn't work that way at international level though. I think he'd do well at ICT but not an international style manager.

I think that line-up has a chance, with Barry concentrating on the defensive side. Still would fancy Germany but Harry's has got a much better chance.

Maybe going forward they might create a chance or two or even win a corner but at the back they'd still get more exposed than Tony Bullock.

Brazil were impressive tonight. Defensively they were everything that England were not and despite a lively and committed Chile side trying all they knew, Brazil never looked like conceding. With that solidity at the back and the obvious ability up front I think it will take something exceptional to beat them.

Now that England are out they've got a real chance :(

Brazil were impressive tonight. Defensively they were everything that England were not and despite a lively and committed Chile side trying all they knew, Brazil never looked like conceding. With that solidity at the back and the obvious ability up front I think it will take something exceptional to beat them.

Now that England are out they've got a real chance :(

Would've loved to have seen Brazil play the english in the World Cup this Summer , reckon it could've been double figures for the Brazilians .