FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Top six- target

12th Man

Dunno about the stats but only winning 1/4 of home games would leave us in a questionable position regarding top six. I hope the management team (not just Terry!) stay and they can keep the players we have at the moment at the club.

Stats mean nothing....its a game of football, anything can happen. With alot of 'top-six' teams struggling...aberdeen, hibs etc, i see no reason in why a top-six place isnt a possibility. We just need to focus on our game, make sure WE win.

Once we have played everybody at least once and the first 11 games complete we will have a better idea of what is possible. Having said that if we are still 6 points clear of St.Mirren come the end of the season I would be happy but I think there is potential (and optimism) for a lot more but we shall have to wait and see how things pan out (injuries, transfers etc) but we need to start with another 3 points against St.Johnstone.

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back

i dont think we have anything to worry about in january maybe hayes but we should realy get good money for him, but i dont see rooney going when his contract doesnt end till summer but he may could sign a pre contract with a championship or a bigger spl team but thats all realy the rest are either to old or to young at the mo.

Ive checked other SPL team tables after game 33,sixth place, most recent first.

Hearts 44,Hibs 42,Dons 44,Hibs 44,Dons 48,Mwell 43,Utd 42,Mwell 43,Dee 42.

Some may think that this is a tad premature but theres no harm in having something to focus on and the most constructive way to avoid relegation.

The cup final with Dundee, that was the day my faith was reignited in the team, that we could mount a strong challenge for the 1st division cup.

I've witnessed enough this season from our players on an individual basis and as a unit to have faith that a top 6 is a possibility.

I think 41 points will be enough this season for sixth place as points from the old firm will be hard to come by, not impossible but hard and points taken off of the likes of Hibs, United,Aberdeen ect lowers the bar too.

In the meantime I'm just going to enjoy each game as it comes.

Edited by 12th Man

Hearts 44,Hibs 42,Dons 41,Hibs 44,Dons 48,Mwell 43,Utd 42,Mwell 43,Dee 42.

Some may think that this is a tad premature but theres no harm in having something to focus on and the most constructive way to avoid relegation.

The cup final with Dundee, that was the day my faith was reignited in the team, that we could mount a strong challenge for the 1st division cup.

I've witnessed enough this season from our players on an individual basis and as a unit to have faith that a top 6 is a possibility.

I think 41 points will be enough this season for sixth place as points from the old firm will be hard to come by, not impossible but hard and points taken off of the likes of Hibs, United,Aberdeen ect lowers the bar too.

Nothing wrong with positive thinking, and to be perfectly honest we have nothing to fear in the SPL with our current squad and team spirit. I seem to recall we were only just pipped for a top six spot by The Dons three years ago?? Scotty's probably best guy to confirm the stats.

My prediction is 8th as we're playing well right now without a full strength squad, but it's still early days and much can change, things will become clearer in the next 4-7 games when teams have started playing each other again.

• Agree 1

Has anyone got any SPL stats on how the tables looked over the years after game 33.

Would be interesting to see what targets could be set to get into the top 6.

Any useful web sites that could provide this info?

Cant be bothered searching for all teams but

04/05 season we had 42pts at the split and finished 8th on 44pts. 6th place finished league on 49pts

05/06..............................43..................................................7th on 58pts. 6th place finished league on 56pts.

06/07.............................36...................................................8th......46.............................................................50

07/08.............................36...................................................9th......43..............................................................52 (Thank feck for Gretna)

08/09.............................32...................................................Rel.....37..............................................................48

Hope that gives you food for thought.

Nothing wrong with positive thinking, and to be perfectly honest we have nothing to fear in the SPL with our current squad and team spirit. I seem to recall we were only just pipped for a top six spot by The Dons three years ago?? Scotty's probably best guy to confirm the stats.

Aberdeen got in on 44 points that year, the runners up were Hearts on 42,Falkirk 41,and us on 36,

05 was our best, Well got in with 43 points and we were so close with 42

Edited by 12th Man

Aberdeen got in on 44 points that year, the runners up were Hearts on 42,Falkirk 41,and us on 36,

That was the one we were unbeaten with no goals conceded after the break. What a heartbreaker.

That was the one we were unbeaten with no goals conceded after the break. What a heartbreaker.

Cheers guys, that fairly clarifies it for me.

I like the positive thinking coming from the squad

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1947492

A win at home against St Johnstone is important if this is going to be achieved. Imvho I think this is going to be our best season in terms of a top six finish and euro spot. And Alternative Maryhill paying me in to the last away game if the season!

the SPL has almost split into little groups over the last few years, I think we will be fighting with St J to be the 7th/8th along with hibs. Can see aberdeen scraping top 6 and then the 3 teams fighting relegation - hopefully we can keep clear of that. But overall I'd say we are on a par with St J at the moment, top 6 is unrealtistic IMO.

Top 2 - OF

next 3 - Dundee UTD, Mother well, Hearts

next 4 - Aberdeen, hibs, St J, ICT

Relegation battlers - killie, hamilton, st mirren

probably Midden for the drop this year.