FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Wow, that was fluke

CaleyMad

I was playing Call of Duty on the PS3 then i notice i get killed by someone with the clan tag [iCT] so i mail him and it ment Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

In other news, my neighbours found out i was on there internet and left me a lovely little message on there wifi...

149530_1686598294386_1520542824_1677070_5235064_n.jpg

tell them they should secure their wifi connection then !!!

Whilst your here...

If there is Wifi which hasnt got a WEP Key enabled, is this illegal?

or in other words

If McDonalds are giving away FREE McFlurrys, is it illegal to take one?

depends what you are actually asking ?

If you setup your own wifi connection and dont secure it, then you are not breaking any law (as far as I know), you are just stupid !!!

If you come across an unsecured wifi connection then you could be breaking some countries laws if you connect to it and use it or if you acquire any data from it. Google got into a bit of trouble with this when they were out doing streetview and their systems connected to thousands of unsecured networks all over the country. They vowed to destroy any info they acquired and were let off !!!

Well my neighbours set their Wi-Fi up with no WPA* ;) code, i just used their netgear for my playstation and occasionally laptop.

Would i be breaking any UK Laws by going into an unsecure network?

Well my neighbours set their Wi-Fi up with no WPA* ;) code, i just used their netgear for my playstation and occasionally laptop.

Would i be breaking any UK Laws by going into an unsecure network?

yes.......8 to 10 in the state pen for you!

Taking/using someone elses property without permission is illegal.

Change "Bandwidth/Broadband" to "Electricity"....do you think it would be acceptable to run an extension lead from their house to yours to power things without permission? Do you think borrowing their car to nip to the shops would be ok if they left the keys in it?

It's one thing to leach on someones connection to send a quick e.mail or check something online, quite another to be sucking them dry by using it for online gaming etc.

Now that you have been rumbled, I would tread carefully. People do get arrested for it and it's easier to track you down than you might realise. I believe the charge here is something like "dishonestly obtaining electronic communications services with intent to avoid payment".

on the flip side ......

if your neighbour knows you are connecting to his wifi and is technically savvy enough then he - or anyone with access to the unsecured access point - could quite easily intercept your data. May not be a big deal on your Playstation but if using your laptop for anything sensitive .....

Bottom line, connect to your own secured network only and ignore anyone else's.

But his mum has a parental block on the websites he uses. :tongueincheek:

Thats impossible considering i stay in my own flat away from my parents :P

but Don...

You go into Burger, you see a sign saying FREE MINI ANGUS BURGERS, You take one, you like it, you take another, then BANG, your arrested. Not fair.

Misuse of anyone's internet with any pass is illegal. No pass no laws broken. If you're stupid enough to leave your internet unprotected then you deserve to have it abused.

But his mum has a parental block on the websites he uses. :tongueincheek:

Thats impossible considering i stay in my own flat away from my parents :P

but Don...

You go into Burger, you see a sign saying FREE MINI ANGUS BURGERS, You take one, you like it, you take another, then BANG, your arrested. Not fair.

Misuse of anyone's internet with any pass is illegal. No pass no laws broken. If you're stupid enough to leave your internet unprotected then you deserve to have it abused.

I assume you have chosen this example for a reason ? :tongue:

Its mainly because i am eating a Burger King just now omnomnom.

Ill change it then.

You go into a Brothol..........................

Edited by CaleyMad

if your neighbour is advertising "FREE INTERNET" then your example is fine, but if they are just stupid and havent secured their network your example is bogus and you are stealing their bandwidth and signal.

A better example would be robbing a house if the owner left the door unlocked .... The owner is stupid for leaving the door unlocked, but that doesnt justify the burglary or make it any more legal !!!

and dont forget ... if the user is savvy enough, he might be the one who is actually getting more out of it !!! do you really want all your information going over an unsecured network ?