FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Celtic vs Rangers

SanMiguel

Last time we were in Glasgow i chatted to a taxi driver who said very few taxi's venture out on old firm game days... too dangerous in his own words.

Anyway. i see Lennon has had his match ban reduced from 6 matches to 4, crazy.

Edited by caley100

Last time we were in Glasgow i chatted to a taxi driver who said very few taxi's venture out on old firm game days... too dangerous in his own words.

Wont really matter because hes very likely to have more bans on the way, he will be in the stand for the CIS cup final will probably miss the next old firm clash from a new ban due to his loutish behavior.

The worst thing he has to endure of all though is being pelted with Werther's Original sweetie wrappers at our match.

Johnboy, you make comment re the "claim" about domestic abuse rising considerably following an old filth game. What reasons do you have to doubt such a claim. It has long been accepted that this is indeed the case in and around Glasgow. I also ask you to spare a thought for all the police and ambulance staff who have to deal with fall out and to all those families who have to deal with the aftermath of the violence this game brings. Do you also dispute the "claim" of a senior strathclyde police officer who stated that there was not an empty cell in or around Glasgow following the last old filth game.

I wouldn't accept that at all.

I am prepared to accept there could very well be a link between drinking to excess and domestic violence, but I certainly wouldn't accept that Glaswegians are any more inclined to beat up their wives or partners than football fans from any other part of the country, or even the world

You're surely not seriously suggesting that this is a problem peculiar to Glasgow?

Johnboy,

Unfortunately, there have been studies done in Hospitals in Glasgow that show a clear correlation between OF games and admissions through A&E for injuries arising from assault (especially stabbings) I can dig out the academic references later if required. It has certainly been strongly suggested that each OF game is the catalyst for at least one fatal or designed to be fatal stabbing in Glasgow within 24 hours. There is also clear evidence from Scottish Government (in the form of offences committed, admissions to refuges etc) that there is a particular problem with domestic violence in Scotland and that it is concentrated in the West and especially in the poorer areas of Glasgow. There is a high statistical chance that the two interact. If you add in the freakshow atmosphere of the games, the inbred bigotry, manufactured hatred and social deprivation and the utter inability (and unwillingness) of the clubs to deal with it, you have an absolute recipe for OF (not Glaswegian) football fans to behave in exactly the way that you doubt.

Wont really matter because hes very likely to have more bans on the way, he will be in the stand for the CIS cup final will probably miss the next old firm clash from a new ban due to his loutish behavior.

The worst thing he has to endure of all though is being pelted with Werther's Original sweetie wrappers at our match.

Didn't he get some bullets sent in the mail? Does he deserve that?

Your going to have to help me out on this one a wee bit, Ive read the above a few times and cant really see the link between commenting on a touchline ban handed out to a manager for loutish behavior and trying to justify someone sending Lennon a bullet.

Your going to have to help me out on this one a wee bit, Ive read the above a few times and cant really see the link between commenting on a touchline ban handed out to a manager for loutish behavior and trying to justify someone sending Lennon a bullet.

It's not that difficult. Your comment that the worst he had to endure was having a sweetie thrown at him. I was just wondering if having bullets sent to you through the post would be considered worse than that.

It's not that difficult. Your comment that the worst he had to endure was having a sweetie thrown at him. I was just wondering if having bullets sent to you through the post would be considered worse than that.

A touch of sarcasm was the intention, as the worst of all of the touch line bans will be at TCS as he will have to sit close to a bunch of sweetie rustlers and may have some werthers originals sweetie wrappers thrown at him, not sweeties hope that has made things clearer.

:frustrated01:

Hope you enjoy the game whichever end you sit in. :tongueincheek:

Having watched the game live out here, it wasn't a good advert for Scotland and Scottish football.

Lots of passion, but probably no worse a match for bad tackles and misbehaviour than the Milan Spurs game. Referee did nothing wrong, but would expect Booghera to get a lengthy ban for manhandling him each time he took a card out. The only booking that may have been slightly out of order may have been Whittakers (but was he booked then as a warning after several other "tough tackles"

I agree with the consensus that they both need to be hit in the pocket, so next OF games behind closed doors. In future would home fans only, be the way forward - less chance of confrontation.

Good to see that Ceptic will be without Brown, Wilson and I think Majstorovic for the QF

Its all Calum Murrays fault, but in all seriousness the game was a recipe for disaster the SFA knew well that its was a powder keg ready to go off and strong refereering was needed.

We have seen Murray at TCS and no great shakes as a ref and gets quite a lot of crucial decisions wrong, they should have taken that ref back from Luxembourg or somewhere.

Its now likely his ban is extended to 8, 4 +2 for the bust up and 2 for reoffending,

I wonder how much extra money each club brought in? seeing as it was a rematch.

A tim at work says both matches were ?40 ticket price, so a ball park figure is 110 000 X ?40 = ?4.4m shared between them.

Stop Celtic and Rangers fans going to away games, no club should sell tickets to the fans of both teams, fill the grounds with their own fans , deprive them of watching their teams in away matches.

Unfortunately they would only sneak in to the home end, besides the smaller clubs need the cash that they bring

Ahhhhhhhhh, yeah, ahhhhhhhhh. That was AMAZING! I just creamed myself because some guys pushed each other. Ahhhhhhh.

Honestly, and be completely honest, what a crap game, no? True, we got to see some pushing though........

You should watch the boxing, they actually punch each other. UFC would blow your mind. Don't watch the wire though, they don't use royal mail to get their bullets to their destination..........

HOLD ME BACK!!!

Richard Gough (quite interesting quote in today's Scotsman):

"People are queuing up to condemn what happened last week," said Gough, "but they will still be tuning in to watch when the Old Firm meet again in the League Cup final on 20 March. These hypocrites are saying how terrible it all is, but they'll still be watching.

"Last Wednesday was just a case of history repeating itself as far as the Old Firm are concerned. We had all this nonsense back in 1987 when I played in the 2-2 game at Ibrox which saw Terry Butcher, Chris Woods, Frank McAvennie and Graham Roberts all charged with breach of the peace.

"Yet it was handbags at dawn stuff. Terry grabbed Frank around the neck and the rest of us were laughing at the time. But Terry and Chris ended up being convicted and got a criminal record. They were even banned from travelling to the USA for a few years because of it, it was crazy. What happened to them was diabolical and, for that reason alone, politicians and the authorities should stay out of football. I honestly believe football should be regulated by football people. The government shouldn't be involved at all."

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Old-Firm-Richard-Gough-urges.6730240.jp

"People are queuing up to condemn what happened last week," said Gough, "but they will still be tuning in to watch when the Old Firm meet again in the League Cup final on 20 March. These hypocrites are saying how terrible it all is, but they'll still be watching.

"Last Wednesday was just a case of history repeating itself as far as the Old Firm are concerned. We had all this nonsense back in 1987 when I played in the 2-2 game at Ibrox which saw Terry Butcher, Chris Woods, Frank McAvennie and Graham Roberts all charged with breach of the peace.

"Yet it was handbags at dawn stuff. Terry grabbed Frank around the neck and the rest of us were laughing at the time. But Terry and Chris ended up being convicted and got a criminal record. They were even banned from travelling to the USA for a few years because of it, it was crazy. What happened to them was diabolical and, for that reason alone, politicians and the authorities should stay out of football. I honestly believe football should be regulated by football people. The government shouldn't be involved at all."

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Old-Firm-Richard-Gough-urges.6730240.jp

Couldn't agree more with Gough's comments. Suspect our very own TB will also agree. It is a complete and utter farce that he, along with all the others charged during that 1987 OF encounter, have a criminal record for breach of the peace.

Handbags at dawn sums it up perfectly.

http://sport.scotsma...rges.6730240.jp

Couldn't agree more with Gough's comments. Suspect our very own TB will also agree. It is a complete and utter farce that he, along with all the others charged during that 1987 OF encounter, have a criminal record for breach of the peace.

Handbags at dawn sums it up perfectly.

What a load of shyte , of course terry should have been convicted of breach of the peace . If he'd done it in a pub or in the street he would have been charged , what makes a football pitch any different ?

What a load of shyte , of course terry should have been convicted of breach of the peace . If he'd done it in a pub or in the street he would have been charged , what makes a football pitch any different ?

You obviously didn't see the incident..... Much worse has happened since that game, and much worse happened before it.

You obviously didn't see the incident..... Much worse has happened since that game, and much worse happened before it.

I remember the incident well , butcher should have been red carded at the initial incident when he got involved in a situation that had nothing to do with him .

He did score a peach of an own goal though .

Edited by DALNEIGHCALEY

I remember the incident well , butcher should have been red carded at the initial incident when he got involved in a situation that had nothing to do with him .

He did score a peach of an own goal though .

how can you breach the peace when there is 60,000 + fans screaming