FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Best Value for Money ?

mikeyrob73

A cheap day at the seaside with football thrown in. No where else can you look out to sea for dolphins and seals and then head over the road for a pie and pint and crackin game of footie. Where else in Britain can you get to see players of the calibre of Esson, Foran, Doran, Tudur Jones, etc managed by the giant Butcher for such a good deal? Totally agree and hopefully a few more people will now buy season tickets or come along and support the club and city.

They quoted Inverness as the best value for money but I dont think it was just the SPL but UK top flight football.

It was just the SPL. Blackburn were ?17.50 for the same day out, thanks to ?10 match tickets.

SPL price league table

But I wonder, are they really comparing like for like ticket prices? How do I actually get a ?16 ticket for ICT next time I come up? And is there really no way of paying less than the standard ?21 for St Johnstone? The survey relies on how each club's office staff filled in the questionnaire.

And the title of the this thread should really be about the cheapest football day out. Value for money is something else, and takes into account the quality of the product - which remains to be seen!

A cheap day at the seaside with football thrown in. No where else can you look out to sea for dolphins, Seals, PORPOISE AND OTTERS and then head over the road for a pie and pint and crackin game of footie. Where else in Britain can you get to see players of the calibre of Esson, Foran, Doran, Tudur Jones, etc managed by the giant Butcher for such a good deal? Totally agree and hopefully a few more people will now buy season tickets or come along and support the club and city.

Fixed it for ya :)

IHE

You certainly have a good memory. Was Laurence not a prominent figure attracting either derision or disbelief several years ago with his pompous and know-it-all attitude? Wasn't he the guy who posted articles under a nom-de plume and hailed from Dingwall or thereabouts.

Was that not in the era when you built HMS Sneck whose dry-docking was a sad end to an illustrious fighting ship's doughty career?

Is there any chance we can revive HMS Sneck and get the same crew back on the deck? Captain Candour, alias IHE, will of course be at the helm on the fo'castlebut maybe he no longer has the energy to motivate the motley crew as he enters his dotage? :getmecoat:

C,mon Captain,an era of fun and frolic lies ahead of us all.... :sarcastic:

While it is commendable that ICT have topped this list, football in Scotland (and the whole of the UK for that matter) is still widely overpriced.

yeah...it certainly is...for what it is! So....i see the figure of ?16 being bandied about....so question is....how would one get ones hand on a ticket at that price? When your on such a limited imcome as i am....a ?4-?5 saving is the difference between being able to go...or not

I'm not looking to argue about this but I think for the standard of football SPL grounds should be about ?10 - 12 for adults and ?5-6 for kids.

With our wage structure being on the bones of it's arse as it is what standard of players do you think we could afford if we slashed the income from gate reciepts?

I agree that football should be more affordable especially as a trip from Caithness is required on my part to watch ICT but the football business these days forces clubs to charge more just to be able to survive in the position they have achieved.

Going slightly off topic, I see those cheeky blighters from Dingwall are advertising season tickets throught a banner at the Longman roundabout. I do not condone vandalism but it would be amusing to see it tampered with, should that happen. ;)

I'm thinking more in the long term. If clubs could increase gates - especially kids - then the fan bases might grow.

I am thinking long term too.

Club reduces ticket prices, still needs to pay players now there are a few possible scenarios which could emerge from this.

Top earners need to leave to sustain financial equilibrium, increasing the risk of relegation. We were lucky enough to have a squad with enough quality to bounce back the last time, could we do it again? Also, even though we managed to attract more fans through the last spell in division 1 do you think that would repeat? I feel we may lose fans instead of gaining them, as your long term vision would suggest.

Keep the top earners, have one or two seasons flying high whilst watching the bank balance turn from black to deeper and deeper shades of scarlet and end up like these guys

the football business these days forces clubs to charge more just to be able to survive in the position they have achieved.

It's ironic, and incredible, that football clubs going bust only became a regular occurrence once huge amounts of money started pouring into the game. Prior to the 1990's, clubs generally lived within their means.

The movement in money since then is basically:

Fans - worse off, paying more at the gate

Armchair fans - worse off, through paying TV subscriptions

Investors/club owners - worse off, having pumped much of their fortunes down the drain in pursuit of glory

Clubs - worse off, most are in debt and run at a loss

Players - here's where all the money's gone!

Agents - don't get me started. At least the players have talent.

• Agree 1

IHEYou certainly have a good memory. Was Laurence not a prominent figure attracting either derision or disbelief several years ago with his pompous and know-it-all attitude? Wasn't he the guy who posted articles under a nom-de plume and hailed from Dingwall or thereabouts. Was that not in the era when you built HMS Sneck whose dry-docking was a sad end to an illustrious fighting ship's doughty career? Is there any chance we can revive HMS Sneck and get the same crew back on the deck? Captain Candour, alias IHE, will of course be at the helm on the fo'castlebut maybe he no longer has the energy to motivate the motley crew as he enters his dotage? :getmecoat: C,mon Captain,an era of fun and frolic lies ahead of us all.... :sarcastic:

You've 'ad too much rum me thinks sailor!

the football business these days forces clubs to charge more just to be able to survive in the position they have achieved.

It's ironic, and incredible, that football clubs going bust only became a regular occurrence once huge amounts of money started pouring into the game. Prior to the 1990's, clubs generally lived within their means.

The movement in money since then is basically:

Fans - worse off, paying more at the gate

Armchair fans - worse off, through paying TV subscriptions

Investors/club owners - worse off, having pumped much of their fortunes down the drain in pursuit of glory

Clubs - worse off, most are in debt and run at a loss

Players - here's where all the money's gone!

Agents - don't get me started. At least the players have talent.

Good post, green dotted, I also think that banks have to shoulder some of the blame they were all too eagre to finance clubs so that wage demands etc could be met in the pursuit of glory and are now more than happy to put the squeeze on the same clubs who have borrowed to excess.

I'm not looking to argue about this but I think for the standard of football SPL grounds should be about ?10 - 12 for adults and ?5-6 for kids.

I'm thinking more in the long term. If clubs could increase gates - especially kids - then the fan bases might grow.

Those sorts of prices and that mentality work well on the continent - the German league in particular.

I dont think clubs fully realise how expensive their product is especially for families. Home fans tend to be ok because season tickets are normally good value for most but away days work out really expensive even before you add in travel and food.

• Agree 1