FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Caledonian Stadium will look second best

dougal

Where do you think we would relocate to?

Therein lies the problem, but first let me make a couple of comments on Don's last post. I agree completely that it's unlikely that funding like in 1996 - which was made to get national league football initially into Inverness and £900,000 of that was a dire emergency - would materialise again. And the question relating to a relocation of the value of the remaining 81 years of the lease, allied with the added complication of it being owned by the Trust not being owned by the club (I only changed that to avoid Don going off on one of his perorations :lol:) is also an interesting one.

But to move on to the question of "where?" regarding any relocation.

What you have to remember here is that in the years up to 1993, Caley (sic) tried a whole lot of places including Kinmylies, Canal Field, the Bught and the Carse and they all fell through. In the absence of the Holm Mains - A82 link, the thought of thousands of football fans trying to get across the Ness Bridge at 5pm on a Saturday continues to make the Bught a non starter - assuming a site could even be found because the Bught Stadium and the Queens Park are absolute non starters.

Unfortunately I once again have to refer to Against All Odds, Chapter 8 on this occasion, where there is a detailed account of the eleven sites, no less, in Inverness which were looked at on Caley Thistle's behalf in 1993 and all but two were rejected for some reason or another. Apart from East Longman, the only other strong runner was out on the Golden Mile at Stratton Farm and after a titanic battle between the club and INE that also fell by the wayside, leaving the current site.

Stratton Farm was still regarded as suitable, it was just that it was too far away from where a lot of fans lived. But whether it would still be available is another matter.

But the bottom line here, I might imagine, is that the club's number one financial priority for the foreseeable future might well be keeping the books as close to balanced as possible with respect to keeping a football team on the field and in the SPL, with relocation somewhat further down the list of priorities.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

Oh Charles....my concerns over the whole Stadium Ownership/Lease/Sub-Lease setup were settled a long time ago and I have no desire to continue pointing out your inaccuracies on the matter. What's important is that ICT have close to 90 years left (not 81) on their lease and if someone wanted us out then there would have to be some kind of financial incentive (that or provision of a new stadium elsewhere) from the master leaseholders should they wish to move in a new tenant.

IMO, relocation could actually assist a great deal when it comes to balancing the books....but obviously it would only ever happen on the basis that the club was not required to provide any financial input to the creation of a new ground....because they ain't got fork all to invest.

In regards to the discussion on where. I think it's too convenient to say there's nowhere else based on studies that were done and decisions made 18 years ago. Inverness has changed a lot in that time, opinions have changed a lot in that time, interests have changed a lot in that time and we wouldn't be having to bend so easily to the whims of so many external bodies as part of the decision making process in return for (in some cases) pitiful contributions or being subjected to financially crippling conditions.

If/When the subject of relocation because a reality, it needs to be approached with a clean sheet and be welcoming of fresh ideas and input from the current generation.

I still think that, in conjunction with the completion of the Western Bypass that the old Torvean Quarry would be the site of choice and one that's agreeable to anyone who might have a say in the matter....especially as the area is already earmarked on the City Plan for recreational use/facilities. It would certainly be a strong contender.

Of course, all of the above is dependent on someone else (with money) wanting to get their hands on the ground the stadium currently occupies....and it being valuable enough for them to do the deal necessary to get their hands on it. The sums are not quite as simple as stated above either as there's also the debt that sits with the stadium which would need to be satisfied....and if anything, that would be the deal breaker.

FWIW, I don't think the Bught would be the ideal location as it would almost certainly be a part of a community/multi-purpose stadium and all that brings with it....things like tracks around the pitch and stands so far away from the action that it would definitely be a backwards step in terms of improving atmosphere.

Regarding the options Stratton- good for Smithton Culloden and Balloch but is too far for the city dwellers and the A96 would become too conjested just the same as the southern distributor road would too if that was the access route but back then Seafield was never an option as it was never available but with a bit of forward planning I would say Seafield is the ideal location, still right next to the A9 except this time south bound fans wont affect city traffic like they do at the kessock bridge and home fans wether driving or on foot disperse in all directions and not through an industrial estate as at present, it would certainly be the greener option and will most likely have a railway station on site too,looking at google maps its about the same walking from dalneigh to TCS as it is from Dalneigh to Seafield, It would be surrounded by Drakies, the Crown, Raigmore, Inshes,Cradlehall and West hill, walkable from Dalneigh, Hilton,Culloden and Smithton and should be far better at reducing conjestion when driving. I feel it would be brought into the heart of the community if it was placed there and will be right next to the uni. With units generating income in a popular location.

There is a bit of a stumbling block regarding Stratton and Seafield as both parties need to get together to create a road infrastructure but if we make a note of interest at least its another piece of the jigsaw put in place. Ive said all this before but still believe its a great location but the new road infrastructure will need to be in place first.

Just has a peak at Dons last post, I hate the Southern distributor road as it is, never mind putting an extra 1000 cars on it and putting the stadium 5 miles from the A9 by road, its Inverness's football club so should be local to all.

I think the Reebok Stadium is a great example of where a modern stadium fits in to modern life. It's basically situated in a retail park next to ASDA, Boots, Pets At Home etc. Do the shopping and take in the football in one go. Anyone who's seen it couldn't fail to be impressed.

Could the new Caledonian Stadium be part of an extended retail park on the A96?

I spent 7 weeks living in the Reebok Stadium (well, the hotel attached to it). Having a hotel room that overlooks the pitch with seats that allow you to sit out and take in the game whilst flitting back and forth to the mini bar or ordering room service instead of queuing for a half time pie is a strange (but good) experience.

That's exactly the kind of development that our current location lends itself too....although on a smaller scale obviously.

Oh Charles....my concerns over the whole Stadium Ownership/Lease/Sub-Lease setup were settled a long time ago and I have no desire to continue pointing out your inaccuracies on the matter.

Don I was, of course, only "jokeen" as we say in Inverness. Regarding the lease, was it not a 99 year lease granted in 1994 by the Counciland hence expiring in 2093 which is 81 years off? Is the duration of the lease not calculated from the time it was initially granted in 1994 and not from when the "next leaseholders" :lol: took it over?

We're in danger of heading too far off the original topic I think, but as I understand it the deal with the lease was not us selling/giving it over but cancellation and issue of a new 99yr lease to the current holders.

I could check for certain, but I locked that file away and promised myself I wouldn't let it haunt me any more!!! Lol

• 4 weeks later...

caley WILL be second best. they will have a bigger stadium and i was told by a county fan that they bring over 350 fans to away games! we struggle with 100.

Wonder if they will all be so keen if they are paying spl prices! Doubt they take that amount to every away game anyway.

caley WILL be second best. they will have a bigger stadium

I'm struggling a bit with the maths here. How is 6000 bigger than 7512?

and i was told by a county fan that they bring over 350 fans to away games!

And you believed him?

Saw their support at St Mirren on TV last week and that was a big cup tie for them. Didn't look much more than we have at a normal league game down there.

Another case where you have to remember they count the eyes.

we struggle with 100.

No we don't. Maybe the odd midweek game we do, or meaningless fixtures at Killie.

They can't expect large away supports at Viccy Park either. Look at some of the pathetic away supports that visit us.

caley WILL be second best. they will have a bigger stadium

I'm struggling a bit with the maths here. How is 6000 bigger than 7512?

and i was told by a county fan that they bring over 350 fans to away games!

And you believed him?

Saw their support at St Mirren on TV last week and that was a big cup tie for them. Didn't look much more than we have at a normal league game down there.

Another case where you have to remember they count the eyes.

we struggle with 100.

No we don't. Maybe the odd midweek game we do, or meaningless fixtures at Killie.

They can't expect large away supports at Viccy Park either. Look at some of the pathetic away supports that visit us.

i belived him because he is a good friend. we do have about 100 people going to away games and i bet if county do get into the spl the amosphere from us wont be loud. the games in the first division away and home there was only the 'singing section' chanting. not much of a derby if the fans aren't going mad

ICT brought far larger crowds to away games when we were in the lower divisions as well....but football is more affordable there and people don't need to prioritise as much, you also don't have so many ridiculous fixture days and times as a result of rescheduling to fit with TV and things which also makes it easier to plan and travel.

Assuming C*unty get promoted, they will be bolstered a bit by SPL novelty (in much the same way as we were) so next season won't really pose any true comparison. Again, assuming they get promoted (and stay up), let's see how they fair once the SPL has knocked some of the enthusiasm out of them by asking them to stump up for £20+ tickets every week, midweek games at the other end of the country, Sunday games (something C*unty have refused to play in the past) etc etc.

imo they arnt rivals to us this season. if they come up then yes i would love to get one over on them but this season right now county can do one

350 isnt even alot, i think the game your talking about was away to falkirk in a top of the league clash. which if you consider that, thats the game that could decide wether county go up at the end of the season is pretty pathetic. we took miles more than that to hearts a couple months ago. both these games were 1 offs.

county took 17000 fans to hampden and they can only take 350 to falkirk? where are those fans now? and where were they last season when they were struggling at the bottom of the league?

now can we stop complaining about the past and look forward to the rest of the season please?

lets look forward when we have only people in the main stand because we have lost all the fans. that is the rate it is going at. people are just bored of football because its always celtic and rangers.

p.s when caley where in the semi-finals with thousands of fans, where are they now??? and the other 2000 fans that stopped going to the old firm games???

lets look forward when we have only people in the main stand because we have lost all the fans. that is the rate it is going at. people are just bored of football because its always celtic and rangers.

p.s when caley where in the semi-finals with thousands of fans, where are they now??? and the other 2000 fans that stopped going to the old firm games???

well theres no point in looking back your not gonna change anything

and theres definatly no point in complaining about it