FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Caley All The Way (book)

WYNESS101

My uncle came across this book at a car boot sale. Its about the first hundred years of Caledonian F.C.

I haven't seen the book before and he asked me to find it is it worth anything?

If anyone can give any info on it that would be amazing

Written by Alex Main who was one of the most successful Caledonian managers and also a journalist. Published in 86 to commemorate 100 years of Caledonian FC. Worth is anybodies guess. At auction some diehard Caley fan may pay a few quid for it

There are still quite a few copies in circulation although it's not been on sale for very many years now. I managed to get my hands on one when I was adding the preliminary chapter to Against All Odds when it was put on this site last year and it was absoultely vital.

"Caley All The Way" is an excellent book, as you would fully expect from Alex Main, despite the fundamental disadvantage of a lack of archive material since Caley's records unfortunately went up in smoke when the old Telford Street grandstand burned down in 1950 - the first of a series of such conflagrations which affected the three Inverness Highland League grounds (Caley 1950, Clach 1988, Thistle 1995).

I'm lucky enough to have obtained a copy of said publication

"Caley all the Way" is indeed a great read and if I was to compare it on a legendary status it would certainly be on par with the likes of "A Tale of Two Cities" by the one and only Charles Dickens

At the other end of the scale would be "Against All Odds" this I would compare to any Jackie Collins Hollywood novel or at a push Enid Blytons "Noddy and Big Ears"

Due to it's scarcity would it not be a good idea for CTO to get it online along with the Pub on the hill or whatever the Thistle book was called?..

Dougal

Hi

My feed back from the booksellers forum is that they reckon absolute tops about £25 to a fan or collector of football histories

My guess is about £15 would be a sound price

Depends on condition

I could list it for you on my website if that helps

www.simplyreadbooks.co.uk

Edited by Laurence

Bought mine from Diggers (Barbers) many moons ago, very good book on the history of Caley

Did you get your "coupon" at the same time? :lol:

And did to have a very long wait while Diggar went out on to Grieg Street to shout good natured abuse at John Brooman or any other unsuspecting passer by before returning to complete your short back and sides?

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Bought mine from Diggers (Barbers) many moons ago, very good book on the history of Caley

And did to have a very long wait while Diggar went out on to Grieg Street to shout good natured abuse at John Brooman or any other unsuspecting passer by before returning to complete your short back and sides?

Good days, dodgy haircut, probably the short back & sides led me to joining the Army. Mixed fortunes witht the coupon, mainly losses

My claim to fame is that I am mentioned in said book! Also remember going to the book launch in the caley club which was a very boozy lunch and then having to take a cake to the childrens ward at raigmore afterwards. Probably there are pics somewhere. Think my copy is in my loft.

Good days, dodgy haircut, probably the short back & sides led me to joining the Army. Mixed fortunes witht the coupon, mainly losses

As I recollect Diggar was actually an ex Army barber, I think originally at Fort George. He was certainly in the Burma Star Association. Maybe it was when he was over in that neck of the woods that he started the tradition of the North Korean "dodgy haircut" like the one the Little Fat Leader has.

And IHE... given the rarity of the "Jeggie" publication, I suspect it may be worth rather more than 5p!

Why bother reading the book - just sing along to the song:

Day after day, alone on the hill

The man with Thistle scarf is keeping perfectly still

But nobody wants to know him

They can see that he's just a fool

As he never gives an answer

But the fool on the hill

Sees the sun going down

And the eyes in his head

See the Heathmount spinning around

Well on the way, head in a cloud

The man in red and black talking crap out aloud

But nobody ever hears him

Or the sound he appears to make

And he never seems to notice

But the fool on the hill

Sees the sun going down

And the eyes in his head

And nobody seems to like him

They all yearn for the Caley blue

And he never shows his feelings

But the fool on the hill

Sees the sun going down

And the eyes in his head

He just keeps following the Jeggies

He knows that he's a tool

Sneckie just laughs at him

The fool on the hill

Sees the sun going down

And the eyes in his head

As I recollect Diggar was actually an ex Army barber, I think originally at Fort George. He was certainly in the Burma Star Association. Maybe it was when he was over in that neck of the woods that he started the tradition of the North Korean "dodgy haircut" like the one the Little Fat Leader has.

And IHE... given the rarity of the "Jeggie" publication, I suspect it may be worth rather more than 5p!

Yep your right there he defo was ex Army

Due to it's scarcity would it not be a good idea for CTO to get it online along with the Pub on the hill or whatever the Thistle book was called?..

We would be happy to do so for any Caley, Thistle, or ICT related book if we had permissions to do so from the relevant copyright holders. The author did much of the legwork required in obtaining the additional permissions required for us to be able to put Against All Odds online ... not sure of the current copyright status of the others ...... but if someone wants to check, our resources are here to host it

I've just taken a look at my copies of both publications and the situation appears to be as follows -

Caley all The Way - ambiguous. It says "Copyright: Alex Main, Caledonian Football Club, Inverness" which to me doesn't make it clear whether copyright is held jointly by Alex AND Caledonian Football Club or by "Alex Main OF Caledonain Football Club". Given that CFC voted in 1994 to invest its assets in ICTFC, I would imagine that any copyright entitlement of CFC would be transferred to ICTFC. I would suggest that Alex himself and maybe Jimmy Falconer or Ally MacKenzie could be consulted and then Kenny (who gave approval for my book) approached on their advice.

Hub of the Hill - even more ambiguous. There is actually no copyright declaration that I can see although some photos are attributed do the late Dennis Eames who, his widow Anne told me a few months ago, was also responsible for at least the majority of the text. Once again ITFC voted to invest its assets in ICTFC so maybe Kenny could clear this again, possibly also after a "courtesy call" to Anne Eames.

I think it would be a great idea to have these two fine publications online on CTO.

• 2 months later...

Just as an aside My son who goes book buying for me has found me a copy for a couple of quid

I am well chuffed

He says the value is around £70

Although this is one book I will not be selling as yet anyway

He also brought me a book about the early days of Hibernian, and how this little Irish working men's based club managed to get themselves into the elite of Scottish football.

Edited by Laurence

• 2 months later...