FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Andy Shinnie to Birmingham City

Dargo20

One of our better players. can't see him giving any less than 100% if selected.

If it were not for the huge prize of a European place I might have been inclined to give Nick Ross a run in his place but, given what's at stake, I believe we should continue to play our strongest team with the best players.

Edited by Kingsmills

Couldn't care less what happens when he leaves. Sit on the bench or play every week.  It's only the old Division Two.  I'll wish him well after he retires or comes back to play.  But I'd have him in for St Johnstone.  It's the big match really.  Win this and I think it's Europe.  Lose and St J have the advantage.  We need our best team.  If he doesn't perform, let Ross or Pepper take his place after this match.  But don't experiment at this time.

Good luck to him. He's been a great piece of business for us and unfortunately this is the problem of having successful seasons! I'm not 100% sure he's quite at Championship level but you can't blame him for giving it a shot. Seems a good lad and i'll be keeping an eye on his progress next season. Thanks for all Andy and top it off with a few more goals to fire us into Europe before heading south.

• Agree 1

One of our better players. can't see him giving any less than 100% if selected.

If it were not for the huge prize of a European place I might have been inclined to give Nick Ross a run in his place but, given what's at stake, I believe we should continue to play our strongest team with the best players.

Andy Shinnie needs to start this one, its too much of a gamble not to play him. 

Couldn't care less what happens when he leaves. Sit on the bench or play every week.  It's only the old Division Two.  I'll wish him well after he retires or comes back to play.  But I'd have him in for St Johnstone.  It's the big match really.  Win this and I think it's Europe.  Lose and St J have the advantage.  We need our best team.  If he doesn't perform, let Ross or Pepper take his place after this match.  But don't experiment at this time.

Sadly, having seen him play yesterday, he wasn't giving 100% and hasn't done since he's known he's away.  While he's a good player, playing Ross or even Pepper in his role on Saturday would, I believe, mean we have a better team on the field, than playing an Andrew Shinnie putting in about 10% and looking not to get injured more than anything else.

• Agree 3

Initially I was disappointed to hear the news that he'll be away come season end. But on reflection, I'm not too fussed.

When he arrived he was useless. It took a long time to settle in.
At the start of the season he was our main man. Excellent all-round footballer and it was probably our best player. Definately deserving of his cap.
Since that cap for Scotland he's not performed as well as he can, and I have to agree with Renegade that he's not shown 100% commitment since the rumours started about Birmingham.

Although I still think he's best placed to start ahead of Ross and Pepper, I'd like to see either of these replace him sooner rather than later if he under-performs again this weekend

• Agree 3

Would start him against St. Johnstone but only just and if he shows the same lack of effort and commitment as he did against Celtic then that should be his last game for the club.

Watching him on tv against Celtic he made no effort to close anyone down or chase back and when he lost the ball he would just stop dead and stand there and let the opposition player run past him with no effort to try and win it back or put in a tackle.

• Agree 2

I must admit that I didn't see the game on Sunday so I don't know just how little effort he may have put in but in the role that Shinnie plays in it's not his job to go charging all over the pitch closing men down. I don't think that is a particularly fair stick to beat him with. That said, I do agree that he has been very much under par. In recent games, such as against Hibs, he did show quality but also seemed to spend a lot of time on his arse after falling over himself.

I'll be sad to see him go, he's a quality player, but he has been very subdued ever since the 3 - 0 Aberdeen game in January only occasionally showing what he is capable of. 

• Agree 1

Hope the guy does well and continues to develop and make it to an even higher level. Been a good servant for us and shows some excellent touches and creativity which will be missed. Seeing him score in the cup semi and the celebration you could see what it meant to him.

I would continue to play him until the end of the season unless people think we have someone more creative and better to select?

Sadly, having seen him play yesterday, he wasn't giving 100% and hasn't done since he's known he's away.  While he's a good player, playing Ross or even Pepper in his role on Saturday would, I believe, mean we have a better team on the field, than playing an Andrew Shinnie putting in about 10% and looking not to get injured more than anything else.

Spot on - I'd start Ross ahead of him. Best of luck to him at Birmingham though.

Good luck Andy. Hope to see you playing Switzerland or Germany with the Scottish team in the 2016 qualifiers

I don't.  I'm a Scotland supporter first and foremost.  I was always a little embarrased by cries for A.Shinnie to get called-up.  It just shows how far we've fallen if he's the successor to Collins/McStay, McAllister/Strachan, Souness/Wark or Bremner/Lorimer.  He's a decent player but no world-beater.  Perhaps we just haven't got them anymore :(

• Agree 1

Great to see Andrew among the nominees for the PFA player of the year. Interested that in his interview he stated he would definately be putting in the utmost effort to get us Europe, Maybe been hearing whispers that some think he's not bothered. Personally don't think that he's not trying, just had a wee dip in form and maybe other teams have got wise to him.

Wish him lots of good luck at Brum.

I

So it seems one of the reasons that Shinniesta is leaving is that his brother has replaced him with a dog.

"It has been amazing to be able to play with my brother in the same team, which is something not a lot of people get," he said.

"That's a massive thing as well. I've lived with him for two years since I've been there, but I think he's replaced me with a dog."

Well done Graeme!  :sad: