FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

old inverness football photos

Guest sigmund

Guest sigmund

heres a link to my blog about old scottish football photography.

oldscottishfootball.blogspot.se

hope you enjoy the photos.

Edit (Site Admin): <attachment removed due to concerns over copyright infringement>

Slightly off topic, but I was reading the other day that before Caledonian played at Telford Street (they moved there in the 20s) they played at another ground called "Caledonian Park".  Where on Earth was that!?

Where's the co-op now?

Sigmund

What a stunning collection...so rare and beautiful reminders of the past .eh ?

I looked up 1938 because it was the year I was born and, lo and behold, up comes East Fife of all teams. 

After my return from my 2 -year stint in the RAF (National Service) I was sent to Leven (and bought a house in Methil) by the Royal Bank of Scotland and followed East Fife for about 3 years.  In 1938 that must have been their heydays because I swotted up on the team and found to my astonishment that once they were the best team in Scotland and burnt out their players  by taking on too many (lucrative?) matches in England where they were, apparently, in great demand.

Another reminder of the old adage..."there but for the grace of God go I. Nowadays East Fife barely gets 500 people into their digs in Methil and I think they may have moved from Bayview Park. Anybody got any updates on the team? Thanks.

Rene, I believe Caleys ground before TS was where the Co-op is now. That's what iv bn told anyway

It's possible that Alex Main's 1986 centenary history "Caley All The Way" (which I don't have at hand where I am at the moment) may throw some light on that. On the other hand Alex was severely handicapped by the Telford Strret grandstand fire of 1950 which meant that so many of Caley's old records went up in smoke and were lost.

Sigmund

What a stunning collection...so rare and beautiful reminders of the past .eh ?

.... and full of copyrighted images stolen from other websites without permission or accreditation, including those of at least 1 or 2 members of this site who run pre-merger tribute pages.

I consider the original post to be spam, but hesitate to delete it as it may actually morph into a decent discussion with the help of the rest of our site members.

• Agree 2

Rene, I believe Caleys ground before TS was where the Co-op is now. That's what iv bn told anyway

It was where the current Currys electrical Store is now. The Co-Op is roughly where the old Frozen Foods shop was. To anyone who hasnt been in Inverness in the past 25-30 yrs, the whole top end of telford street would be pretty much unrecognisable

• Agree 1

It was where the current Currys electrical Store is now. The Co-Op is roughly where the old Frozen Foods shop was. To anyone who hasnt been in Inverness in the past 25-30 yrs, the whole top end of telford street would be pretty much unrecognisable

Telford Street Park was located where Currys is now, the poster was asking about before that ..... also Frozen Foods was on what is currently (part of) B&Q's now derelict site. the Co-op occupies the site that was Muirtown Mills / Laundry / then derelict for a while.

better illustrated in pictures ......

This was apparently the area in 1912 [ source: http://maps.nls.uk/atlas/bartholomew/page.cfm?id=1210 ]

It shows no football ground anywhere in the vicinity.

post-2-0-19329100-1366984533_thumb.png

the same area from 1932 (sorry it is small image) [source: ]http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html]

It shows what I believe is the distillery on both sides of Telford Street and the ground in its familiar spot

post-2-0-34620200-1366984827.png

the same area from 1959 (same source as above)

It shows more housing, but still distillery, Muirtown Mills, Laundry and football ground

post-2-0-90435900-1366984838.png

the same area from 1981 (again, same source)

shows a lot more housing, distillery still there on both sides of the street but Muirtown Mills no longer there. These were warehouses from my recollection that were derelict by the time B&Q was built on the site of the distillery opposite.

post-2-0-34292600-1366985029.png

Am Baile also has some good old maps http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/search/results.jsp?layout=list.50&desc=Advanced search for Maps (Subject &index=50&storeId=1366985064590 , not sure if any of those give more info for Carse area and there is also http://www.oldmapsonline.org/

The information above is also consistent with what Alex says in his book. The original ground was about 50 yards nearer the canal than the later one. The original ground was on the clay excavations from the Canal. The later one was developed from 1920 on 2.8 acres of land bought for £275!

So the £1M obtained in 1996 represents a return of nearly 400,000% on the original investment!