FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

We Gave It A Right Good Go

MuirtownJaggy

I think tactically we managed to subdue Aberdeen and thier support for most of the game. I thought we might have nicked it in added time, but not to be this season. Well done to all at ICT, Team, staff and Fans. We have been in a Cup Final and gave it a Right Good Go.

• Agree 5

We lost, nobody remembers the runners up

I will remember , because I was there and had a great day out, despite the result. I don't think the gut in front of me will though. He got threw out for drinking a bottle of whiskey. He didn't try to hide it, straight out of a Bells bottle. Highland Water

Guest Mahonio

I really hope we make another final soon but by god it was nervy and that was before Penalties.

That was such a heartbreaking way to lose a cup final :'(.

Not one player deserves criticism, every one put in a shift but for me, the best moment had to be a few minutes in when Foran crunched Hayes or Rooney with his tackle which went unpunished, thats what you call fighting for the cause.

Sorry but I fail to see how you think we gave it a right go.

Hughes set us out in a way not to lose rather than an attempt to win, he saturated the midfield in attempt to stop Aberdeen which worked I guess but resulted in a very poor game

Soon as I heard Doran was on the bench I knew what the tactics were and that it was going to be pretty negative stuff

Dougal

Hughes set us out in a way not to lose rather than an attempt to win, he saturated the midfield in attempt to stop Aberdeen which worked I guess but resulted in a very poor game

Soon as I heard Doran was on the bench I knew what the tactics were and that it was going to be pretty negative stuff

Dougal

Don't be sorry. I am using a Yogi phrase "we gave it a right good go". To take another SPFL team to ET and penalties shows he and the team got something right, also the route to the final was where the right good go came from. Chin up, move on.

Dougal

I agree, when it was announced Pawlett was out we have a real good chance to go at them, even no more so when Hayes went of injured. Dornan on the bench was a bad decision in my opinion. In Hughes defence perhaps the recent 5-0 losses and changes in defence made him go with this.

• Agree 1

Robson on a good day could have won this by himself, if we had played it open we would have been two down by half time, good tactics in my opinion game changed when foran was booked and he then stopped tackling for fear of getting sent off. Impressed with yogi for giving Ryan Christie a chance and feel optimistic for a future ict that has him and nick Ross in it. Great day out but it wasn't to be and losing to the sheep will always sting, but as the title says a right good do, I honestly thought on recent form it was going to be a drubbing of Bon accord proportions.

Robson on a good day could have won this by himself, if we had played it open we would have been two down by half time, good tactics in my opinion game changed when foran was booked and he then stopped tackling for fear of getting sent off. Impressed with yogi for giving Ryan Christie a chance and feel optimistic for a future ict that has him and nick Ross in it. Great day out but it wasn't to be and losing to the sheep will always sting, but as the title says a right good do, I honestly thought on recent form it was going to be a drubbing of Bon accord proportions.

Agree that Christie is a real prospect for the future. realise I will probably get a hard time for this but I am not a huge Foran fan and I think he should have been hooked earlier. 

I was not saying we should have played it totally open such as recent 4-4-2 but we had no flair and Doran could have provided that if he started. 

As soon as I saw your name at the top of the post, I knew exactly what would be said, and that it was going to be pretty negative stuff.

• Agree 5

Feck me there seems to be so many on here that think they would have got the tactics right and team choice right. Hind sight is great guys.

I'm happy that we had a go, stopped them from scoring for 120mins and on another day they might have missed 2 pens. Considering their budget and fan base are both 3-4 times ours. We should be proud of our team and move on to the league.

• Agree 4

We lost, nobody remembers the runners up

I will remember , because I was there and had a great day out, despite the result. I don't think the gut in front of me will though. He got threw out for drinking a bottle of whiskey. He didn't try to hide it, straight out of a Bells bottle. Highland Water

You must have been sat near me MuirtownJaggy, I was the drunken **** in the kilt. I vaguely recall the fella getting thrown out for tannin a 1/4 bottle. His mate was much more savvy, poured his vodka into his coca cola, tasted mighty fine.....

I actualy agree a lot with Dougal. I feel like Aberdeen are no Barcelona and especially with no Pawlett and Hayes we shouldn't have feared taking the game to them and really going to try and score goals. To be fair we stopped Aberdeen from creating and the players all played their role well. Hopefully we learn a few lessons before next years treble!

• Agree 1

Hughes set us out in a way not to lose rather than an attempt to win,

:amazed: It was a cup tie Dougal.  You either win or you lose.  He set us up to win ugly rather than lose pretty.

Whilst I was a little alarmed to see Doran was not starting, I think Yogi got the tactics spot on.  By playing the way we would like to see the team play we risked being very exposed.  They were under huge pressure to win.  We needed to stop them playing, get them frustrated and then step up and try to nick one late on.  It nearly worked.  If the Foran penalty had been given at the end of the 90 minutes (and it was converted!) then we would be celebrating a cup win this morning.

It's all very well to say that this tactic was not really neccessary with Pawlett and Hayes out but I don't suppose Hughes could have been certain that Pawlett was out when he selected the team and it would hae been foolish to have sacrificed Vincent and used up a sub in changing the game plan in response to Hayes' early self inflicted injury.

It's just a shame that Aberdeen had done their homework on the penalties and held their nerve better than Billy and Greg.

Never mind.  It was a great occasion and another important milestone for the club.  That, in itself is something worth celebrating.  :ictscarf:

• Agree 1

Re: tactics - I think we need to remember that 2 x 5-0 drubbings in the past few weeks would be fresh in the minds. Therefore a tight formation for the first half was very sensible - don't lose an early goal (like we did at Celtic and against Dundee United) and have to chase the game ('cos you know how good we are at that!) I suspect there was a concern that Doran would not last 90 (or 120 min), so best to bring him on to make an impact, which he did.

So, I don't think poor tactics lost us the game. In the first half the guys were sooooooo nervous - nothing was sticking and nothing going to feet. They settled in the second half and played some good stuff at times, but the final ball or cross just wasn't good enough to stretch a well-organised defence. The bottom line is that if you only test the keeper once in 120 min, you're not likely to win.

Penalties: mckay always goes the same way and keepers have sussed him, which is why he shouldn't have been taking one. Tansey's was no better than Philip Roberts' against Hearts (but I bet he doesn't get the stick that Roberts took!) Brill went the same way every time (and McInnes had sussed that too). So, they had done their homework better than us this time.

Still, what a day and what a great support! The team should be proud of what they've achieved and I hope they can lift themselves for a push to Europe!

:ictscarf:

Edited by PerfICT
  • Agree 3

Dougal

We had a tense first half and the wind made things a bit tricky......but for the 1st 30mins of the 2nd half we totally dominated Aberdeen to the extent that their fans cheered wildly when they got as much as a throw in..... even toward the end of extra time I felt we were more likely to nick it. I was surprised that Doran didn't start but rememberd that Yogi had said he had a slight knock. I didn't think it was a poor game at all, at times we played some great stuff and Aberdeen also had their moments.....Christie, Ross and Doran all made good contributions the latter two showing good late season improvement to form which bodes well for the future. Nothing wrong with setting out to contain/control Aberdeen they are after all second in the SPFL and with a massive backing, I thought Devine was outstanding, alongside the ever reliable Meekings.....I thoroughly enjoyed the game, my only reservation is that Billy McKay didn't have a decent big fella to support him (which is something we must rectify for next season) ... some else has said no one remembers the runners-up, which is true, but supporters will remember the day out and take pride that we took the eventual winners all the way

• Agree 2

I enjoyed myself and we proved the people wrong who thought we would get humped!

I did see a few aberdeen fans in our end though wearing aberdeen scarfs but they behaved.

I thought the ref was terrible but I haven't had a chance to watch it back so I could have been wrong!

I enjoyed myself and we proved the people wrong who thought we would get humped!

I find it a little bit sad that some folk are happy just because we didn't get humped, our recent record against Aberdeen has been fairly good and I think we gave them to much respect at the start 

Tansey's was no better than Philip Roberts' against Hearts (but I bet he doesn't get the stick that Roberts took!)

Tansey's penalty was probably a yard closer to the goal than Roberts', but it is the fact that 2 players missed rather than 1 which means they won't be getting too much stick individually.  Poor penalties all the same, and they know it.

When Mckay missed I wasn't too concerned, but when Tansey's flew over the bar, I think we all knew it was game over.

Re: tactics - I think we need to remember that 2 x 5-0 drubbings in the past few weeks would be fresh in the minds. Therefore a tight formation for the first half was very sensible - don't lose an early goal (like we did at Celtic and against Dundee United) and have to chase the game ('cos you know how good we are at that!) I suspect there was a concern that Doran would not last 90 (or 120 min), so best to bring him on to make an impact, which he did.

Agree with this and the tactics were right for this reason if nothing else, to lose a goal in the first half or early on could have seen us implode yet again. The thing that didn't happen is that the final balls and crosses weren't there. On another day or maybe a smaller crowd or occasion then these could have made their destinations. Even against Hibs midweek, our defense was shaky and nervous every time they got the ball. The fans were nervous at every backpass but yesterday i didn't feel that. The first half really was terrible but asides from one poor pass which led to an opportunity for them i thought we were solid at the back for the entire game. Doran looked great when he came on and i feel like Nick Ross is improving all the time and answering his critics. Christie had another good performance and had the balls to show some great skill on a couple of occasions. Some negative points was our forward midfield play. Foran had quite a few poor passes forward and i thought early on he might struggle to make the end of the game due to being sent off. Draper was very good in a defending role and winning the ball back but again, we lost a few attacking chances for his poor passing. Wouldn't have given him motm. Yet again have to feel sorry for Billy, how many games does he just chase long high balls? He is so quick with some engine and when the ball is played at a reasonable height or on the ground you can see he is an absolute top class player but you have to wonder if he actually enjoys some of those games where he gets endless long balls up to fight with two tall CB's. Hats off to the fans from both teams, created a great atmosphere and was a brilliant day out. On another day this was ours....if Forans penalty had been given or even in penalties. Felt really bad for Marley's miskick, couldn't have done that in a worse game but he was another plus point for us as always, he just ran out of steam after 60 or so minutes. 

• Agree 1