FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

nick ross

bigman

Nick is one of the most frustrating players I've watched over the last few seasons. I've great respect for the lad but sometimes he just isn't suited to the game he's playing. Is he one of those who only excels against certain teams. He may get pushed of the ball many times but then he'll put in a fantastic cross. As to the substitution, I'm sure Nick knows the reason for not starting and the reason for coming on in the last minute. This is a team sport and Nick is a team player so why should it bother him?

• Agree 1

As a childhood friend of his he's the one who got us into the final by scoring the equaliser goal against hearts before the penalties. He a great young player yea he may get pushed over the ball many times but he always gets back up and makes good passes and great game play.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

YES, AND I AM GLAD THAT YOU REMINDED US OF THAT PARTICULAR FANTASTIC GQAL AND CONTROL  0F THE BALL  IN A VERY DIFFICULT SITUATION.

Essentially that goal put us into the final and a load of money  into the club coffers. .

• Agree 3

Whenever the subject of Nick Ross comes up people always seem to say he's too small, lightweight, needs to bulk up etc..this is a load of nonsense. Yes he is small in frame and can at times be pushed off the ball but bulking up will not change that. What he needs is someone i.e coaching staff to teach him how to use his body to protect the ball and make the most of the frame he has. Technically he is one of the best players we have at the club adding to much muscle mass quickly over a pre season say could be detrimental to the attributes he already has. If John Hughes is determined to play the "barcelona" way surely having one of the best passers in our team on the bench or getting 30 seconds at the end shows how inept he really is.

• Agree 2

YES, AND I AM GLAD THAT YOU REMINDED US OF THAT PARTICULAR FANTASTIC GQAL AND CONTROL  0F THE BALL  IN A VERY DIFFICULT SITUATION.

Essentially that goal put us into the final and a load of money  into the club coffers. .

Seeing all these messages about him was annoying me as I grew up with him from nursery to now. I will always be proud him. Yea he may be skinny but he's a great player.

• Disagree 1

Whenever the subject of Nick Ross comes up people always seem to say he's too small, lightweight, needs to bulk up etc..this is a load of nonsense. Yes he is small in frame and can at times be pushed off the ball but bulking up will not change that. What he needs is someone i.e coaching staff to teach him how to use his body to protect the ball and make the most of the frame he has. Technically he is one of the best players we have at the club adding to much muscle mass quickly over a pre season say could be detrimental to the attributes he already has. If John Hughes is determined to play the "barcelona" way surely having one of the best passers in our team on the bench or getting 30 seconds at the end shows how inept he really is.

Exactly....Naymar = 9 stone! Modern football has changed - even in Scotland there is a place for the likes of Gauld who is hardly a man-mountain. From what I've heard about Nick Ross from former youth team-mates, he's well aware of his lack of bulk and works relentlessly on it, but some guys are just not meant to be "Hulk". Muck mor of a problem for Ross is where to play him. He's not a holding midfielder or winger: I nwas disappointed that he wasn't groomed to take A Shinnie's place at 10 because his touch and vision would best fit in there. Now he has Christie to contend with for that spot!

• Agree 1

Agreed to the good point that you dont need to be a tank to be in top flight football if your technique can do the talking.

He does indeed need to learn to roll challenges off him or swerve them, and when he cant, to draw the foul. He always strikes me as trying to stay on his feet, and while admirable, earns him nothing.

Still can't help but compare him to a set of pipe cleaners.

Would be ideal playing behind the striker, as Christie should too, but neither can start every game so it's up to the manager who starts what. Both have different attributes. Both can play left if Watkins or Doran are out. Just depends on where you play Vincent really also.

• Agree 1

Nick Ross offers something different to what has been proved lately to be a very pedestrian side.  Agree not everybody's ideal player and can dissappear for periods of the game but still one of our most naturally talented players.

For some reason he is the one left out after another dreadful team performance whereas equally inconsistent players such as Vincent, Doran etc are guaranteed starting slots.

As for the bullshit about bulking up, what generation of football are you in?

• Agree 1

Well, that may be a point worth considering.

You can't "bulk-up" a thoroughbred. Gazelles don't turn into huge stags.

And to become a Moose you have to live in Canada, so that won't work either.  Isn't that right IHE? :smile:

More than one Moose is not called mice. It's still Moose.They are one of the largest animals you have ever seen and on occasion, in the Rockies, cars bounce off them. They then add insult to injury when you see them looking back at you disdainfully as they amble  off the road into the bush. Weight?--don't really know but I think  about 2,000 lbs or more.

It's not entirely bullshit, though it's not as basic as "bulking up"

A player doesn't need to be an Adonis or tank to be good or successful. Take Giggs for example.

They do however need to have a very strong core and good body strength, all which can be improved through the right exercise.

In truth Nick Ross would probably be ruined if he put on a stone in muscle. However you'd think Hughes with all his supposed loving of modern sport science would be right on top of this.

Andy Murray is a fine example of a lanky talented sports person who has put muscle in the right places. He's still a naturally thin person but now with the right strengthening and resistance work he not only is able to hit harder, but actually has more spring and increased speed.

Andy Murray is a fine example of a lanky talented sports person who has put muscle in the right places. He's still a naturally thin person but now with the right strengthening and resistance work he not only is able to hit harder, but actually has more spring and increased speed.

I don't think we have the money or the time to do what Andy did for Nicky sadly 

Nick Ross offers something different to what has been proved lately to be a very pedestrian side.  Agree not everybody's ideal player and can dissappear for periods of the game but still one of our most naturally talented players.

For some reason he is the one left out after another dreadful team performance whereas equally inconsistent players such as Vincent, Doran etc are guaranteed starting slots.

A good point made above about the generation of football that we live in. I'm afraid Scotland continues to be left behind the rest of the footballing world - the new generation is all about pace, vision and movement, but we're still stuck in the last century where brute force is preferred. Unfortunately, a team in isolation can't change this (Hughes thinks he can, but will get his fingers burnt doing so) and we will therefore continue to languish in the C league in Europe until the doctrine that is preached at the youngest youth level is actually carried through to the older teams in the youth set-ups and eventually the first teams. My view at the moment is that the right things are taught at the youngest levels and then it's back to old-school football later because the results business means getting the ball away from your own goal and as close as possible to the opponents' as quickly as possible to avoid defeat.

In short, Nick Ross might well be a casualty of the Scottish game because he's too classy!

Time or money? Nick is in training everyday and most of it is using good resistance based training and good nutrition planning. It's not like a magic formula that you need millions to be privvy to.

Yes we maybe can't afford top sports dieticians or personal training teams, but most of the concepts are the same. They don't have a secret magic formula.

Time or money? Nick is in training everyday and most of it is using good resistance based training and good nutrition planning. It's not like a magic formula that you need millions to be privvy to.

Yes we maybe can't afford top sports dieticians or personal training teams, but most of the concepts are the same. They don't have a secret magic formula.

Yes he's in scotland to do this sort of thing you need to go to a hot country 

Steve May did it himself when on loan at Alloa. Went to them like a pipe cleaner and came back like Stig of the Dump with muscles

• Agree 2

Yes he's in scotland to do this sort of thing you need to go to a hot country 

Not necessarily. You don't need hot weather to eat well and do resistance training.

Sure, the work done by Andy benefits from hot weather and a humid climate like his Miami base. That would be preferable clearly.

However working indoors, these same techniques can still be used and get similar results. They might take longer, but they would still get results.

It's not about him adding body mass, it's about core strengthening primarily, to allow him to react better to being shrugged of the ball. Maybe he lacks a little resilience mentally also. I can't really speak on that though.

A good point made above about the generation of football that we live in. I'm afraid Scotland continues to be left behind the rest of the footballing world - the new generation is all about pace, vision and movement, but we're still stuck in the last century where brute force is preferred. Unfortunately, a team in isolation can't change this (Hughes thinks he can, but will get his fingers burnt doing so) and we will therefore continue to languish in the C league in Europe until the doctrine that is preached at the youngest youth level is actually carried through to the older teams in the youth set-ups and eventually the first teams. My view at the moment is that the right things are taught at the youngest levels and then it's back to old-school football later because the results business means getting the ball away from your own goal and as close as possible to the opponents' as quickly as possible to avoid defeat.

In short, Nick Ross might well be a casualty of the Scottish game because he's too classy!

Too classy? A casualty of the Scottish game for being too classy? Really?

I'm sorry but if a player is classy enough he'll cope admirably enough in Scotland.

It's about balance, if his class isn't high enough to make up for other short falls that would be apparent.

It's an absolute myth that there's a notion in Scotland of every player needing to be a brute to get a look in. There are plenty of small or slight players in Scotland, but they have to be able to adapt to play against the bigger players in one way or another. A little tenacity or guile. Speed or intelligence. Something to set them apart.

Harry Redknapp even said in the pas that he wouldnt sign a Scottish player BECAUSE they are too small for the English top flight - one of the top 3 leagues in Europe.

OK, so classy was too strong a word, but I stand by my point that NR is not suited to the Scot Prem because of the outdated style of football being played. As for Redknapp's comment - I think he was confusing size with athleticism: I bet he wouldn't turn down Naymar, Stehrling or Messi if he'd had the chance - too small???? - yeh, right!

What I agree with you on is the "tenacity, guile, speed intelligence" suggestion: I'd argue that NR is an intelligent player - what he really lacks is pace. That said, he undoubtedly changed the semi-final in our favour because of his ball retention and thought (long before his goal) - at least some of the qualities you suggested were there at Tynecastle...

I'd like to see him play more whatever we may make of his attributes. Contrary to how recent comments may come across I've always been a fan.

Yes he's inconsistent, but then he rarely gets a good long run in the team.

For his to improve his game he needs to play, and if Hughes is hell bent on his passing game, Ross arguably has the best ball retention of the lot.
Yes he'll get shrugged of the ball at times (so will Christie, Mckay, Dorans) but he'll also not misplace as many passes and play incisive probing balls for others to attack.

And he is still young, he can still improve a lot. And in time develop his game to deal with stronger players and the brutes/bullies of the game.

• Agree 1