FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

10 years ago

Yngwie

My mind might be playing tricks on me but did Dougie McGillivary not win a £500 bet with Tam Cowan, as to whether we'd make it to the SPL within our 10 years?

As the broker of that bet, I can confirm that this was the case (and you are also correct that it was "We are SPL" - my memory was defective there).

The bet was back around 1997/98. At full time one Saturday, when Off The Ball was on air at the time, Dougie asked me if I could arrange to get him on to the programme to challenge Tam. The producer was more than delighted to have him on and the bet was £500 to a pie that ICT would be in the SPL within 10 years of starting in the SFL - ie by 2004. Dougie duly won but as far as I know the bet has never been honoured.

Strangely enough I did an article for the Motherwell programme on the rise of Highland football for ICT's visit there a few weeks ago and related that particular anecdote.

I went out of my way to thank Tam for that small extra incentive to succeed!

• Agree 1

As it turned out, June 2004 was every bit as challenging as May had been.  Info from an old article on this site:

June 1st - SPL clubs vote to deny ICT promotion.  Also vote to change seating criteria to 6000 from season 05/06 onwards

June 2nd - SFA confirms it will hear ICT appeal

June 3rd - SPFA call for change

June 4th - Hibs and Hearts call for a new meeting of the SPL

June 4th - Partick offer to accept relegation for 1 million pounds

June 9th - Dunfermline and Dundee Utd suggest ICT should be allowed to play in the SPL in Inverness

June 9th - Clyde ask SPL to consider making the top flight 14 or 16 teams from next season

June 10th - George Peat says SPL could face charges of bringing the game into disrepute

June 10th - UEFA indicate they might become involved 'if necessary'

June 22nd - Partick fail to stop the SPL taking a second vote.

June 22nd - Vote goes 10-2 in favour of allowing ICT into the SPL. Caley Thistle promoted to SPL

• Agree 1

And I have been exhorting you, Captain , to re-launch the ship with a new mizzen mast, a new rudder and a new tea boy--oh and a new mainbrace to keep the captain IHE happy on the longer voyages of derring do.

Why, oh why, don't you bring back that great ship Captain?

As it turned out, June 2004 was every bit as challenging as May had been.  Info from an old article on this site:

June 1st - SPL clubs vote to deny ICT promotion.  Also vote to change seating criteria to 6000 from season 05/06 onwards

June 9th - Dunfermline and Dundee Utd suggest ICT should be allowed to play in the SPL in Inverness

June 9th - Clyde ask SPL to consider making the top flight 14 or 16 teams from next season

June 10th - George Peat says SPL could face charges of bringing the game into disrepute

June 22nd - Vote goes 10-2 in favour of allowing ICT into the SPL. Caley Thistle promoted to SPL

Can anyone remember who apart from Patrick voted against us?

Can anyone remember who apart from Patrick voted against us?

Dundee.

A what, IHE? A submarine....no!

Couldn't be  --I seed a mizzen mast, not a conning tower and I seen you on the poop deck having a snort of the mainbrace as you held onto your coloured braces.

But you are a con-man anyway so....thinks....maybe you're right, forsooth?   :lol::crazy::wave: frae Kanaga.

Talking of Submarines, I know of a wee boat that was fitted with a fresh water toilet and the waste pipe was fitted above the water line, you soon learnt never to come along side after they ate a heavy meal, torpedos away.

An unbelievable end to a wonderful season, and the final double-header with Clyde and St Johnstone has for me to be the best time I've ever had as a supporter of any club.

The win at Clyde set us off on the Highland March with a spring in our step which kept us going right through the week to meet all those waiting to join us for the final piper led walk through the city centre to the stadium. Aside from the football, I'll never forget the two great arrivals that day: the helicopter flying in with the league trophy and Robbo at the end of season party handing us the trophy to pass around the room - that was one awesome day that I don't suppose I'll ever see bettered. 

Great time and loads of great memories...

Having read the Clach thread re. winning the Cup today, it reminded me of another memory from that wonderful afternoon. I was in the Phoenix bar celebrating our triumph and spent some time speaking to a guy who was also celebrating - but he had no interest in our club's triumph.

Instead, he was wearing a Clach top and was just so delighted at his team winning the Highland League that same afternoon! The fact SPL was coming to Inverness had absolutely no significance to him...his side had achieved their own things.  And fair play to him.

Another, not so great memory was being asked to remove my ICT scarf (on a night like that - in my own town, long after any 'rival' fans would have still been around) before getting into a bar on Church Street.

Later, I got completely refused from 27 Bar in Castle Street for having an ICT top on! "Strictly NO football colours, mate!"

Ended up next door in G's - anybody can get in there!!!

I got refused entry to the Moray that night, beat that :lol:

Tom Hughes, what a complete dickhead he was.

I didn't know that was even physically possible!   :clapping:

• Agree 1

I may be wrong but Partick then appealed to the SFA which was taken to Hampden. Early July (I think), was when David Taylor(?) made his statement about Partick having no grounds for appeal.

Iain, Alison, Craig and Lesley Coia along with ITN were there that night. As were SKY tv.

Strangest thing I remember seeing during the whole sage was a Partick fan who'd phoned/written in to one of the newspaper "opinion" columns (possibly the Daily Record) to claim that we should be denied promotion because people from Inverness speak funny.

Strangest thing I remember seeing during the whole sage was a Partick fan who'd phoned/written in to one of the newspaper "opinion" columns (possibly the Daily Record) to claim that we should be denied promotion because people from Inverness speak funny.

Wow, someone from Maryhill saying that we talk funny. Ironic.