FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

10 years ago

Yngwie

May 2004 was a big month for ICT, and on 15th May it will be exactly 10 years since we beat St Johnstone to claim a place in the SPL (subject to groundshare and the Partick legal saga). 

May 2004 started with a 0-0 at home to Falkirk (complete with Hughes and Latapy), followed by the massive 2-1 win at title rivals Clyde. That put us in charge of our own destiny for "helicopter Saturday", and we held our nerve to win 3-1 and celebrated in style, both on and off the pitch.  

What are your memories of that time?

I can't believe that's 10 years ago! 

I remember it was a lovely warm, sunny day and the place was packed. I always stood on the West terracing in those days.

Strangely, I was confident we'd win, having a 1-0 / Paul Ritchie bet on at the bookies. That didn't jinx the team thankfully!

At full time, despite being in my 30's then and having no intention of 'invading' the pitch, I soon found myself straddling the barrier and running onto the field to try and shake-the-hand of any of our players. But I was outrun by the yoofs!

A great memory, and despite our successes since, reaching the SPL was something of a Holy Grail for me; therefore that afternoon is still my number two 'ICT moment' (after the Parkhead 3-1 stunner), which again, despite having established ourselves as a club, will take some beating, due to the context of the situation and the enormity of the achievement at the time.

May 2004 was a big month for ICT, and on 15th May it will be exactly 10 years since we beat St Johnstone to claim a place in the SPL (subject to groundshare and the Partick legal saga). 

May 2004 started with a 0-0 at home to Falkirk (complete with Hughes and Latapy), followed by the massive 2-1 win at title rivals Clyde. That put us in charge of our own destiny for "helicopter Saturday", and we held our nerve to win 3-1 and celebrated in style, both on and off the pitch.  

What are your memories of that time?

Robbo appearing at the top of the steps down to the bottom bar in the Social Club and holding the trophy aloft. The place went mental!

Oh, and Robbo stomping off on me in the middle of an interview a few days before the St Johnston game because he didn't like the question he THOUGHT he heard me ask :lol:  We had a good laugh about that the other week!

Then there was Tommy Cumming at full time giving the only interview he's ever given in his life. I never thought I would ever see the man virtually in tears.

Also at full time... chants from the fans of "We want SPL... we want SPL" because it was by no means certain at that moment of triumph that SPL status would be requested by the club.

I remember the relief when Barry Wilson scored the third and gave us that vital breathing space. Only then did I begin to relax and enjoy that final day.

Barry Wilson got the second from a penalty. Paul Ritchie grabbed the third goal.

• Agree 1

I remember well the Partick fans joining us away at Clyde because they didn't want them going up! I'm sure they thought we wouldn't be allowed promotion because of the 10,000 all seater rule meaning their safety in the SPL bottom spot.

Edited by BornCaley

I remember the relief when Barry Wilson scored the third and gave us that vital breathing space. Only then did I begin to relax and enjoy that final day.

Barry Wilson got the second from a penalty. Paul Ritchie grabbed the third goal.

Strange how the memory plays tricks :smile:

I recall that Tokley was suspended or injured for the Clyde game and a very young lad named Proctor took his place at full back and played a blinder. Also remember the Partick vultures joining the away support hoping to pick up an SPL place.

I'll never forget Hislop's fantastic bullet header against Clyde.  It was advantage us after this result and I think we were all confident that we would win the final game but there were a few nervy moments such as Clyde going into the lead before our game kicked off and SJ drawing level.  As soon as Ritchie got the 3rd we all knew that was it.  

A great day which has to be up there with all the great moments that we've experienced in ICT's short history. 

• Agree 1

Somewhere on an old VHS tape I have a clip from the local news of a group of us celebrating outside the Innes after the St Johnstone game, singing "Are you watching, Ross County?"

At the Clyde game Partick manager Gerry Britton was sitting next to us in the back row of the away stand at Broadwood. He told me he had to do that as he had been getting abuse from the Clyde fans around the back of the main home stand before the game. He left just after Clyde equalised from a dodgy penalty as he probably thought that they would be promoted. Then up popped Stevie Hislop.  

The day I fell in love with the club and what a dramatic day it turned out to be on and off the pitch. I had only been living in Caithness for 3 years and during that time me and my dad went to a few home games every season and if people think are attendances are bad now then this was horrific with say 50 people standing on the away terrace at most and maybe 1500 and no more in the home ends. That season things got better and better and I remember sitting at home with my sister and parents watching soccer Saturday and even though we were not die-hards to see Stevie Hislop's name come up on the videprinter  sent our whole house wild. For the whole week i begged my dad to take us and we did but we didn't get tickets, his reasoning being that with the ground always usually empty it will be fuller but there would be tickets (have to say my dad is a fool). On the day of the match me and my sister put on our scarves that we recently bought from Hampden for the Semi Final with Dunfermiline. We left early and had MFR on the radio and i remember the two presenters were talking about the game and one asked the other "are you going to the game" and the other replied "no I couldn't get a ticket they were all sold out". We pulled in layby and i got so angry at my dad for being so naive to think that tickets would be available in the biggest game of the clubs history. We choose to carry on and there was no chance to get a ticket but we didn't miss out as all 4 of us plus maybe another 50 to 100 people all stood on the bridge side watching the game as cars tooted there horns at us. When the game ended we ran down and got into the stadium as the gates were opened and we watched as the trophy was held a loft. I wanted a season ticket but going to Aberdeen was to much to do but the very first full season back in inverness i got a season ticket and i have supported the club passionately ever since. Even though I was present much more on our return to the top flight in 09/10 (although i missed Ayr  :frustrated01: ) i will always remember that day best as the atmosphere was great and began my life as a proper Inverness Caledonian Thistle supporter

• Agree 3

I remember being in the Gellions after the draw at home to Falkirk and the Falkirk fans telling me we had blown it. The next week at Cumbernauld the thing I remember is Keough scoring and taking his shirt off, and then when Hissy scored he did the same but appeared to have a dirty grey vest on. I also remember Clyde were a team of big strong players who took no prisoners.

Clyde fans must rue that game. Who knows where they'd be now if they had made it to the SPL, but instead they went on a rapid slide down the leagues.

We had a great support that day - to this day it must be one of the best we've ever had for an away league game, other than Dingwall perhaps.  I remember the heavens opened when we were leaving the ground and I got soaked on the way back to the pub where I was parked, but it all just added to the occasion.

We had a great support that day - to this day it must be one of the best we've ever had for an away league game, other than Dingwall perhaps.  I remember the heavens opened when we were leaving the ground and I got soaked on the way back to the pub where I was parked, but it all just added to the occasion.

Of games I have actually been to, that had to be the best feeling at full time. The only thing that has come close was Nick Ross's equaliser in the league cup semi.

Also at full time... chants from the fans of "We want SPL... we want SPL" because it was by no means certain at that moment of triumph that SPL status would be requested by the club.

I think the chant was actually "We are SPL" but it was indeed a memorable and significant moment.  I would say that the majority of fans, or at least the ones being vocal on this forum, were dead against the idea of groundshare when it was first mooted (prior to us winning the league).  There were lots of "stop this madness" threads, and people saying they'd rather support their local team in a lower league than have an SPL team playing in Aberdeen. 

But when the league title was won, that attitude seemed to instantly go away, and the doubters seemed to realise that having earned our place in the top flight we should at least have a crack at it.

When we went up, even our own fans thought that, if we could stay up at all, we'd probably end up as one of those yo-yo sides at best.  I doubt anyone would have expected that we'd be in the top flight for 9 of the next 10 seasons (make that 10 out of 11 now). 

• Agree 2

The next week at Cumbernauld the thing I remember is Keough scoring and taking his shirt off, and then when Hissy scored he did the same but appeared to have a dirty grey vest on.

For some reason this always sticks in my mind too. Keogh was booked for taking his shirt off, but Hissy wasn't, presumably because he was still 'decent'. Most unfair. That vest should have been a straight red.

Keogh was booked for taking his shirt off, but Hissy wasn't, presumably because he was still 'decent'. Most unfair.

I would think the reason for Hissy not being booked would be that the standard of refereeing and consistency of decision making was as excellent then as it is now.