FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Replacement Striker?

us2

Yes even if McKay wanted to go. If we have no-one ready to bring in then why would you sell him. I would feel sorry for him as he deserves a good move. But if we're going to be left short in a position where we're already crying out for a back up then no you don't let him go.

How do you know they didn't?

The Mckay transfer did not complete until Friday PM, which doesn't leave much room for getting someone...even a pre-determined target...signed and ready to go for the Saturday.  Physically getting them here would be a major undertaking in itself.

Having been denied that opportunity, then it makes sense to take a bit of time to re-evaluate the situation...and also get a look at any players who became free agents following the closure of the transfer window.

Having Watkins replace Mckay on Saturday didn't exactly prove to be the disaster some folk predicted, so that too has to be factored into the decision making.

We seem to be going from the ridiculous "Sign someone...doesn't matter who, just anyone" to the absolute ludicrous, with allegations that the club are deliberately self harming by not signing someone (yet).  It's pure hysteria and even normally sensible thinking people seem to be getting caught up in it.  I personally find it bizarre (and somewhat worrying) that an event such as Transfer Deadline Day can have that effect on a community.

The fact is after Ibra leaving a lot of people were still suggesting we need a backup striker. Now its not just 'deadline day hysteria' We needed to get a striker in a lot of peoples eyes before Mckay left never mind after. if we didn't why did we bid for Barnard. I also didn't suggest getting someone in on Saturday. But by midnight Monday, I don't see any reason at all why not.

Yes even if McKay wanted to go. If we have no-one ready to bring in then why would you sell him. I would feel sorry for him as he deserves a good move. But if we're going to be left short in a position where we're already crying out for a back up then no you don't let him go.

Personally I think if we did that we would struggle to attract players up here. An unhappy and bitter player is not needed either (Mckay if we had denied him his move).

I can't imagine he'd be that bitter and unhappy waiting 4 months.

I defend the club in most things but if we don't get someone in on a free at least we've made a mess of this. I think people at the club will feel the same. No chance of them doing it on purpose to sabotage Europe, now that's a ludicrous suggestion, but I do feel they've made a mistake here.

Edited by Sir C the 3rd

Hideous transfer window for us. Our captain is leaving on a PC to our main rivals who have also strengthened their team with a real good prospect.

Our top scorer leaves for a very small fee when you look at all the other fees getting spent around Scotland.

Dundee utd bring in a few although they have lost 2 good players. 2 million quid will soften that blow. 2 players we incidentally had a the club at one point and left for nothing.

Hamilton who also let a player or 2 go but brought in a good few quid themselves.

We have totally ballsed up this window and we still don't have players signed up who want to stay!!

Last time I checked our captain was foran albeit he hasn't played for over a year.

oh well done hercule poirot, what a buffoon I must be

How do you know they didn't? The Mckay transfer did not complete until Friday PM, which doesn't leave much room for getting someone...even a pre-determined target...signed and ready to go for the Saturday.  Physically getting them here would be a major undertaking in itself. Having been denied that opportunity, then it makes sense to take a bit of time to re-evaluate the situation...and also get a look at any players who became free agents following the closure of the transfer window. Having Watkins replace Mckay on Saturday didn't exactly prove to be the disaster some folk predicted, so that too has to be factored into the decision making. We seem to be going from the ridiculous "Sign someone...doesn't matter who, just anyone" to the absolute ludicrous, with allegations that the club are deliberately self harming by not signing someone (yet).  It's pure hysteria and even normally sensible thinking people seem to be getting caught up in it.  I personally find it bizarre (and somewhat worrying) that an event such as Transfer Deadline Day can have that effect on a community.The fact is after Ibra leaving a lot of people were still suggesting we need a backup striker. Now its not just 'deadline day hysteria' We needed to get a striker in a lot of peoples eyes before Mckay left never mind after. if we didn't why did we bid for Barnard. I also didn't suggest getting someone in on Saturday. But by midnight Monday, I don't see any reason at all why not. 

Personally I think if we did that we would struggle to attract players up here. An unhappy and bitter player is not needed either (Mckay if we had denied him his move).I can't imagine he'd be that bitter and unhappy waiting 4 months.I defend the club in most things but if we don't get someone in on a free at least we've made a mess of this. I think people at the club will feel the same. No chance of them doing it on purpose to sabotage Europe, now that's a ludicrous suggestion, but I do feel they've made a mistake here.

You don't know that tho and neither do I tbh. Mckay appears to be delighted with his move and as he's served us well I don't think we have the right to deny him that. The club also appear happy with the fee although granted I think we as fans would have liked more. Much as I'd rather he hadn't gone he has and we need to move on,

What the club should or shouldn't have done re a replacement is a different story.

How do you know they didn't? The Mckay transfer did not complete until Friday PM, which doesn't leave much room for getting someone...even a pre-determined target...signed and ready to go for the Saturday.  Physically getting them here would be a major undertaking in itself. Having been denied that opportunity, then it makes sense to take a bit of time to re-evaluate the situation...and also get a look at any players who became free agents following the closure of the transfer window. Having Watkins replace Mckay on Saturday didn't exactly prove to be the disaster some folk predicted, so that too has to be factored into the decision making. We seem to be going from the ridiculous "Sign someone...doesn't matter who, just anyone" to the absolute ludicrous, with allegations that the club are deliberately self harming by not signing someone (yet).  It's pure hysteria and even normally sensible thinking people seem to be getting caught up in it.  I personally find it bizarre (and somewhat worrying) that an event such as Transfer Deadline Day can have that effect on a community.

The fact is after Ibra leaving a lot of people were still suggesting we need a backup striker. Now its not just 'deadline day hysteria' We needed to get a striker in a lot of peoples eyes before Mckay left never mind after. if we didn't why did we bid for Barnard. I also didn't suggest getting someone in on Saturday. But by midnight Monday, I don't see any reason at all why not. 

Personally I think if we did that we would struggle to attract players up here. An unhappy and bitter player is not needed either (Mckay if we had denied him his move).

I can't imagine he'd be that bitter and unhappy waiting 4 months.I defend the club in most things but if we don't get someone in on a free at least we've made a mess of this. I think people at the club will feel the same. No chance of them doing it on purpose to sabotage Europe, now that's a ludicrous suggestion, but I do feel they've made a mistake here.

You don't know that tho and neither do I tbh. Mckay appears to be delighted with his move and as he's served us well I don't think we have the right to deny him that. The club also appear happy with the fee although granted I think we as fans would have liked more. Much as I'd rather he hadn't gone he has and we need to move on,

What the club should or shouldn't have done re a replacement is a different story.

I'm happy to agree to disagree on this. I certainly do wish McKay well and no doubt deserves his move. But my point above still stands. He did sign a contract after all. But like I say we'll agree to disagree :)

How do you know they didn't? The Mckay transfer did not complete until Friday PM, which doesn't leave much room for getting someone...even a pre-determined target...signed and ready to go for the Saturday.  Physically getting them here would be a major undertaking in itself. Having been denied that opportunity, then it makes sense to take a bit of time to re-evaluate the situation...and also get a look at any players who became free agents following the closure of the transfer window. Having Watkins replace Mckay on Saturday didn't exactly prove to be the disaster some folk predicted, so that too has to be factored into the decision making. We seem to be going from the ridiculous "Sign someone...doesn't matter who, just anyone" to the absolute ludicrous, with allegations that the club are deliberately self harming by not signing someone (yet).  It's pure hysteria and even normally sensible thinking people seem to be getting caught up in it.  I personally find it bizarre (and somewhat worrying) that an event such as Transfer Deadline Day can have that effect on a community.The fact is after Ibra leaving a lot of people were still suggesting we need a backup striker. Now its not just 'deadline day hysteria' We needed to get a striker in a lot of peoples eyes before Mckay left never mind after. if we didn't why did we bid for Barnard. I also didn't suggest getting someone in on Saturday. But by midnight Monday, I don't see any reason at all why not. 

Personally I think if we did that we would struggle to attract players up here. An unhappy and bitter player is not needed either (Mckay if we had denied him his move).I can't imagine he'd be that bitter and unhappy waiting 4 months.I defend the club in most things but if we don't get someone in on a free at least we've made a mess of this. I think people at the club will feel the same. No chance of them doing it on purpose to sabotage Europe, now that's a ludicrous suggestion, but I do feel they've made a mistake here.You don't know that tho and neither do I tbh. Mckay appears to be delighted with his move and as he's served us well I don't think we have the right to deny him that. The club also appear happy with the fee although granted I think we as fans would have liked more. Much as I'd rather he hadn't gone he has and we need to move on,What the club should or shouldn't have done re a replacement is a different story.I'm happy to agree to disagree on this. I certainly do wish McKay well and no doubt deserves his move. But my point above still stands. He did sign a contract after all. But like I say we'll agree to disagree :)

Absolutely! Would be a dull world, and forum, if we all agreed all the time!

I'm surprised little has been said anywhere about Antoine-Curier being released, cos it's a really strange one.  Hamilton are awash with money after getting millions for Neil, Hendrie and Andreu.  No doubt they had also reduced their wage bill into the bargain this window. And then, having just sold their top scorer, they just release their second top scorer on a free? Very odd.  I can only assume that there must have been some sort of falling out, or they couldn't agree a contract extension and someone spat the dummy out big time?

Seemingly there was a big fall-out behind the scenes.  Apparently, MAC wasn't happy with Martin Canning being installed as the manager and instead favoured a different candidate.......himself!

• Agree 2

Maybe we can keep Tremarco at LB with Shinnie alongside Tansey in the middle allowing us to put big Draper up front as a lone target man. He has the right attributes.

Could see foran back yet this season or Watkins / Ross can play up front then theres also Ferguson too. Not panic stations yet for me.

I'm surprised little has been said anywhere about Antoine-Curier being released, cos it's a really strange one. Hamilton are awash with money after getting millions for Neil, Hendrie and Andreu. No doubt they had also reduced their wage bill into the bargain this window. And then, having just sold their top scorer, they just release their second top scorer on a free? Very odd. I can only assume that there must have been some sort of falling out, or they couldn't agree a contract extension and someone spat the dummy out big time?

Seemingly there was a big fall-out behind the scenes. Apparently, MAC wasn't happy with Martin Canning being installed as the manager and instead favoured a different candidate.......himself! Sounds like an a-hole. Would rather no-one than someone who has the potential to disrupt our tight knit squad. I seem to recall he had a falling out at Dundee too. Edited by Hiro

If free agents are to sign (which isn't a certainty) then expect trialist games to be arranged.

But, I am with vast majority on here that say that new deals are more important.

I would still like to see one or two from; Atajic, MacDonald or Mathieu Manset be signed up.

For me the only thing that worries me about all this is the clarity of information given to the media and as such to the fans. If Yogi thinks we can get by with what we've got, that's his call and he will be judged on it, If Kenny and the board made decisions about finances that's their call and they will be judged on it. The big but is statements from Kenny that I took as meaning something was in place to cover for Billy going, then Yogi talking about loans etc. I expected this to mean someone being brought in. I'm not raging because we didn't sign players nor do I think we can compete for Europe without a proper striker but what I would have liked is clarity from board and manager.

• Agree 2

If free agents are to sign (which isn't a certainty) then expect trialist games to be arranged.

But, I am with vast majority on here that say that new deals are more important.

I would still like to see one or two from; Atajic, MacDonald or Mathieu Manset be signed up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31111682

For me the only thing that worries me about all this is the clarity of information given to the media and as such to the fans. If Yogi thinks we can get by with what we've got, that's his call and he will be judged on it, If Kenny and the board made decisions about finances that's their call and they will be judged on it. The big but is statements from Kenny that I took as meaning something was in place to cover for Billy going, then Yogi talking about loans etc. I expected this to mean someone being brought in. I'm not raging because we didn't sign players nor do I think we can compete for Europe without a proper striker but what I would have liked is clarity from board and manager.

I may be completely off track here but I personally believe Yogi is as honest as the day is long - a quality not too familiar in football circles. If he feels he can go with what he's got then that's fine but let's not feed us "as usual we have contingency plans in place" - that just builds up our hopes and let's us down with a thud!

As I said already, the Mckay deal taking till Friday PM may have scuppered one (possible) contingency plan.

It's just as feasible that it's wrong to assume that "contingency plan" meant bringing someone in...could just as easily have meant that Watkins had been training in that position to cover.  If that was the contingency (short term)....then it worked out fine, IMO.

When Yogi did the interview last week he stated that he had various options to consider....and one of the things he said was that just because the transfer window closes, doesn't mean they stop looking to bring someone in.

I'm not saying people shouldn't talk about it or have an opinion on the situation....but there's a lot of remarks being made and slurs being cast on people's characters which are based on wild supposition.  We have a chairman who has brought the clubs budgets under control and has us living within our means...and he's done that whilst still providing the manager/s sufficient funds to deliver success on the park.  I think he deserves a tad more respect than some people are showing him just now.

If people want to bad mouth or belittle me for holding that view, fill your boots.

• Agree 1

You seem to be taking it so personally. I haven't seen anyone casting slurs.

Contingency or no contingency we do not have a recognised senior striker at the club at the moment. How can that be a good thing.

Is Foran not a striker?

Contingency plan could be anything ..even extra training, for goodness sake.

Please ease up on he Chairman. And if you can't or want more info then pose a question of management on this site or write to him direct.

I'm sure Aberdeen fans would be delighted to hear if they lost Rooney that they'd be doing extra training to compensate.

Also the chairman is brilliant, new deal for Tansey, getting the game on last Saturday, pay what you think.... In fact all the ticket deals this season. But in my opinion they've made a mistake on this occasion. If we're going to be writing to him direct now because we dare to disagree with the club then just close this website down. It's a place for discussion, praise and and critsism.

• Agree 5

The problem with clarity here is that all transfer plans depend on the other side - will the other club release a player, will wage demands be within our budget, will the player want to up sticks to come to the centre of our universe, etc.

Cut a little slack to the manager and the chairman - make your judgements after the next month when we know if there has been an adverse effect on results.

The problem with clarity here is that all transfer plans depend on the other side - will the other club release a player, will wage demands be within our budget, will the player want to up sticks to come to the centre of our universe, etc.

Cut a little slack to the manager and the chairman - make your judgements after the next month when we know if there has been an adverse effect on results.

You make a lot of sense johnh. For whatever reason, I don't blame our manager for this situation and I think you are right in saying that we should wait and see how we cope over the next 4 weeks. I do however expect all our out of contract players that Yogi wants to keep signed up on new contracts during this period. That would appease this particular native.

If you read my post I have not criticised either manager or chairman. On the contrary as I say it's their decisions to make. All I ask for is for us the paying public to be enlightened as to what the club plans are. We put our cash in is it too much to ask for a little something back. And just to make my standing clear I have nothing but praise and respect for our chairman and after initial reservations about the manager he is winning me round.