FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Replacement Striker?

us2

Why is it that some people don't give players a chance before criticising players (transfer market, come on!).

Both these guys are INTERNATIONALS so can't be that bad.

Most of our squad would have been unknown or had "bad stats" before signing but now look at them!

That isn't criticism of certain posters by the way.

Maybe international players in the sense that they ply their trade in a country different from birth ... Anything more than that is stretching it a bit in the case of Prince and non-existent as far as I can see for Vucanovic ... But I take your point about our existing squad maybe not all having startling career stats. Appreciate we have a budget to operate in but given we are an established top 6 team, can we not start to dip our toe in slightly more ambitious waters? Without being overly simplistic, if we have the smallest squad but comparable attendances with 3 or 4 other SPL teams, are we being slightly over-cautious? That website I referred to is well worth a browse btw ... Astonishing source of up-to-date data even to refer to if nothing else ... Foolhardy to dismiss so readily IMHO.

Your point lacks logic.

Existing budget only allows for small squad...if we are to pay more, then we would need to shrink squad further to be able to afford it.

If there's a bit of spare cash, then it's use needs to be viewed going forward. You can't base long term spending by way of increased wages on one off, non guaranteed, cash injections...how do you cover the wages next season without it?

We're not awash with cash and being "over cautious" is better than being overdrawn with debt/costs we can't sustain...that would be foolhardy!

Hmm and being 3rd in SPL and in qtr-final of cup .. With only 1 other SPL team able to reach semi .. And not replacing only recognised out-and-out striker .. having actually got £££,£££ ... Doesn't lack logic? ... Or is McKay's £ just plugging a pre-existing hole?

• Agree 1

Why is it that some people don't give players a chance before criticising players (transfer market, come on!).

Most of our squad would have been unknown or had "bad stats" before signing but now look at them!

Maybe international players in the sense that they ply their trade in a country different from birth ... Anything more than that is stretching it a bit in the case of Prince and non-existent as far as I can see for Vucanovic ... But I take your point about our existing squad maybe not all having startling career stats. Appreciate we have a budget to operate in but given we are an established top 6 team, can we not start to dip our toe in slightly more ambitious waters? Without being overly simplistic, if we have the smallest squad but comparable attendances with 3 or 4 other SPL teams, are we being slightly over-cautious? That website I referred to is well worth a browse btw ... Astonishing source of up-to-date data even to refer to if nothing else ... Foolhardy to dismiss so readily IMHO.

Your point lacks logic.

Existing budget only allows for small squad...if we are to pay more, then we would need to shrink squad further to be able to afford it.

If there's a bit of spare cash, then it's use needs to be viewed going forward. You can't base long term spending by way of increased wages on one off, non guaranteed, cash injections...how do you cover the wages next season without it?

We're not awash with cash and being "over cautious" is better than being overdrawn with debt/costs we can't sustain...that would be foolhardy!

Hmm and being 3rd in SPL and in qtr-final of cup .. With only 1 other SPL team able to reach semi .. And not replacing only recognised out-and-out striker .. having actually got £££,£££ ... Doesn't lack logic? ... Or is McKay's £ just plugging a pre-existing hole?

There is also Billy's saved wage. In essence all I was saying was ...great look at free agents but, given the money in and saved wage, surely we can look at people (even at a slightly lower level) that have a proven goalscoring history to a reasonable degree ... Instead of looking at people that on the face of it look more like a complete punt. Everyone has an opinion and I still trust the club's hierarchy has best interests at heart.

• Agree 1

Maybe international players in the sense that they ply their trade in a country different from birth ... Anything more than that is stretching it a bit in the case of Prince and non-existent as far as I can see for Vucanovic ... But I take your point about our existing squad maybe not all having startling career stats. Appreciate we have a budget to operate in but given we are an established top 6 team, can we not start to dip our toe in slightly more ambitious waters? Without being overly simplistic, if we have the smallest squad but comparable attendances with 3 or 4 other SPL teams, are we being slightly over-cautious? That website I referred to is well worth a browse btw ... Astonishing source of up-to-date data even to refer to if nothing else ... Foolhardy to dismiss so readily IMHO. Your point lacks logic.

We're not awash with cash and being "over cautious" is better than being overdrawn with debt/costs we can't sustain...that would be foolhardy! Think you should change your Avatar. Maybe appropriate in your past life but nowadays you seem to roll over, believe everything your told and then defend it with your all.

• Agree 1

I believe that we had a contingency plan which involved approaching clubs and/or players after Billy was sold.

However if we were not given permission to speak to players or were turned down by players there is not much to be done.

Where we are at the moment I would prefer that we do not just take someone because they are available - unless someone is good enough for ICT and will fit into the group (on and off the park) that are here then we should not make a panic purchase.

You just need to look at a club not 20 miles form here to work out what problems we could be letting ourselves in for if we get the wrong mix in the dressing room.

Edited by johnh
  • Agree 2

Maybe international players in the sense that they ply their trade in a country different from birth ... Anything more than that is stretching it a bit in the case of Prince and non-existent as far as I can see for Vucanovic ... But I take your point about our existing squad maybe not all having startling career stats. Appreciate we have a budget to operate in but given we are an established top 6 team, can we not start to dip our toe in slightly more ambitious waters? Without being overly simplistic, if we have the smallest squad but comparable attendances with 3 or 4 other SPL teams, are we being slightly over-cautious? That website I referred to is well worth a browse btw ... Astonishing source of up-to-date data even to refer to if nothing else ... Foolhardy to dismiss so readily IMHO. Your point lacks logic.

We're not awash with cash and being "over cautious" is better than being overdrawn with debt/costs we can't sustain...that would be foolhardy! Think you should change your Avatar. Maybe appropriate in your past life but nowadays you seem to roll over, believe everything your told and then defend it with your all.

Are you offering to tickle my belly?

• Agree 1

Jesus!!!!! Please, please don't offer to do that. You'll never get over it.

Never get over it!!!  You saying I have a big belly?

• Agree 1

The three trialists watched the game today.

Any idea who 3rd is and also, what position he plays?

We know 2 from 3; Prince Rajcomar and Marko Vukanovic (both Strikers).

Never get over it!!!  You saying I have a big belly?

Do I really need to get myself into more trouble over this? I just thought the poor boy had no idea of what he was getting in to. He'd never see the sun again... :wink:

• Agree 1

Never mind where they come from, let's see them  play and watch their work ethics.

The other players have blossomed under the tutelage of John Hughes so, why not give them a chance to do likewise, if he thinks they have what it takes.

I was thinking that looking at the match yesterday will give them a fairly good understanding of what is called-for in the Scottish Premiership and if this gees them up to want to stay then why not give them a trial or two.

Encouragement is the way and reaction by way of hard work is the response.

Or a good kick up the  Irish to see how they react.

If they bring out their hankies then,,,,uh, uh!

But if they get mad, grit their teeth and then go into a tackle like they mean it to prove what they think they have by way of ability and grit then ...who knows where it will lead. :wink:

The three trialists watched the game today.

Any idea who 3rd is and also, what position he plays?

We know 2 from 3; Prince Rajcomar and Marko Vukanovic (both Strikers).

Reported on bbc website as Tarmo Kink, 82times capped Estonian striker

Edited by ferben1994
  • Agree 1

I love it when people comeon and say 'I remember that guy from Middelsborough'.  He played twenty games in the Championship, you looked him up on Wikipedia, I know it, you know it.  :lol:

Hopefully signing a player called Kink is us trying to tap into the Fifty Shades of Grey market.  Our stands will be filled with middle-aged women expecting a hunky billionaire with rippled abs to come out the tunnel and choke them while their blindfolded.  SHould be good IMHAHO.

• Agree 1

Out of the three listed, Tarmo Kink would be the best one for us on paper. I recall him having a decent enough spell at Middlesbrough.

Correct. 4 goals for Middlesborough including coming off the bench to score 2 goals in the last 15 minutes in a 2:1 victory over Burnley in the Championship. Sweet :)

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tarmo-kink/leistungsdaten/spieler/44094

Out of the three listed, Tarmo Kink would be the best one for us on paper. I recall him having a decent enough spell at Middlesbrough.

Correct. 4 goals for Middlesborough including coming off the bench to score 2 goals in the last 15 minutes in a 2:1 victory over Burnley in the Championship. Sweet :)

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tarmo-kink/leistungsdaten/spieler/44094

Not scared to have a pop at goal either ... look at these bad boys :)

Reported on bbc website as Tarmo Kink, 82times capped Estonian striker

Most websites seem to have him down as a winger these days (which would explain the low goals per game ratio in recent seasons), but he obviously has experience playing upfront too.  Sounds like a potential replacement for Marley rather than for Billy?

I love it when people comeon and say 'I remember that guy from Middelsborough'. He played twenty games in the Championship, you looked him up on Wikipedia, I know it, you know it. :lol:

Hopefully signing a player called Kink is us trying to tap into the Fifty Shades of Grey market. Our stands will be filled with middle-aged women expecting a hunky billionaire with rippled abs to come out the tunnel and choke them while their blindfolded. SHould be good IMHAHO.

I did know he played for Middlesbrough, it's just that wikipedia refreshed my memory :ninja:

I'm not saying we don't need a replacement striker, but I have noticed that our goals per game average is exactly 2, without Billy, which is higher than for the rest of the season!

Also, the quality of some of our recent  goals has been outstanding, Williams on Saturday , Tansey against Partick,  and Christie against Midden come immediately to mind.

I repeat, these are merely observations, not a case for not replacing Billy.

• Agree 1