Who should we keep, who should we punt?

SMEE

It's just over four weeks until the League Cup groups kick off and we seriously need to get the finger out. Some of the other sides in the Championship are making some impressive looking signings already. The sooner we get a manager in the better so we can start getting some players in ourselves.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, RiG said:

It's just over four weeks until the League Cup groups kick off and we seriously need to get the finger out. Some of the other sides in the Championship are making some impressive looking signings already. The sooner we get a manager in the better so we can start getting some players in ourselves.

Why worry the players we are likely to attract will be available right up until the season starts

• Disagree 1

On 12/06/2017 at 3:23 PM, RiG said:

Don't you worry be some impressive signings soon enough 

14 hours ago, Moogthurso said:

So any update on this.

38 minutes ago, iamthecaptain1 said:

Might come down to who we can afford to keep as much as anything. Draper, Vigurs, Warren and Fon Williams bound to be on a few bob. 

pretty sure one of the only announcements made was that everyone under contract would be staying.

think Cammy has been retained/extended...not heard anything about kev yet.

17 hours ago, old caley girl said:

Possibly relegation clauses coming into play? 

Maybe, although I can't really see Warren & Raven moving on - both are older & settled in Inverness.

If Draper stays, that is a huge bonus & fair play to him if he does as he would be an asset to most premiership teams.

Vigurs said (I seem to remember) that he would stay - a pre match interview on caleyjags tv near the end of the season.

Fon Williams - if a club was willing to pay money for him, I would think they would let him go. He is an excellent keeper but his form was a bit erratic last season (to say the least)! Would be ok with Cammy Mackay & Daniel Hoban methinks - who knows, if Dean Brill became a free agent again...!

The core of the squad is good, just need to add firepower upfront (Scott Boden seems to be the main striker left....!), hopefully Robbo will use his contacts to dig out a rough diamond or 2.. 

Hoping Polworth can step up & fill Tansey's boots...

• Agree 1

How many outfield players do we have signed up? Something like ten isn't it with the potential for some to move on (thinking Draper, Fon Williams here). Realistically, Robertson might need to bring in a minimum of 8 players in the next month. Going to be some task to undertake.

There's obviously been a lot of chat about "don't go back" when it comes to managers recently but what about players? I wonder if Nick Ross might return to ICT and maybe we could get Storey in on loan from Aberdeen depending on what plays out at Pittodrie in the next few weeks.

Fon Williams
Raven Mckay Warren Tremarco
Polworth Draper
Doran Ross Mulraney
Storey

Sadly I don't think we can rely on Doran being fully fit all the time so we'd need an extra wide player and another midfielder. Whilst we have Boden I think we'd need another striker and an extra defender as well preferably a CB and LB. I would imagine that some signings will be loans of young lads brought in just to pad out the side as well

Edited by RiG

36 minutes ago, Renegade said:

I'd be staggered if Andrew Shinnie came back.  Far far far too good for this level.

He was playing at this level last season with Hibs and their fans didn't seem to think much of him a lot of the time. He should come back to a side where he is really appreciated...

32 minutes ago, RiG said:

He was playing at this level last season with Hibs and their fans didn't seem to think much of him a lot of the time. He should come back to a side where he is really appreciated...

Yeah a couple of hibbies told me he could be brilliant on his day but often looked a bit lazy and not willing to put in a tackle. Missing the derbies against County obviously. 

10 hours ago, RiG said:

How many outfield players do we have signed up? Something like ten isn't it with the potential for some to move on (thinking Draper, Fon Williams here). Realistically, Robertson might need to bring in a minimum of 8 players in the next month. Going to be some task to undertake.

There's obviously been a lot of chat about "don't go back" when it comes to managers recently but what about players? I wonder if Nick Ross might return to ICT and maybe we could get Storey in on loan from Aberdeen depending on what plays out at Pittodrie in the next few weeks.

Fon Williams
Raven Mckay Warren Tremarco
Polworth Draper
Doran Ross Mulraney
Storey

Sadly I don't think we can rely on Doran being fully fit all the time so we'd need an extra wide player and another midfielder. Whilst we have Boden I think we'd need another striker and an extra defender as well preferably a CB and LB. I would imagine that some signings will be loans of young lads brought in just to pad out the side as well

While I would be happy if Storey came back, would not want Nick Ross back. Didn't do a lot for us on a consistent basis and not exactly a roaring success at Dundee,

• Disagree 3

We've just got an old manager back, I just don't get this fascination from some fans to want previous players back as well

Too many people live in the past when its the future we should be concentrating on

Dougal

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Huisdean said:

While I would be happy if Storey came back, would not want Nick Ross back. Didn't do a lot for us on a consistent basis and not exactly a roaring success at Dundee,

I disagree. Nick Ross is one of our own, didn't always get a fair crack of the whip when it came to a run in the first team and is capable of doing a very good job indeed at Championship level.

• Agree 1

Some  insightful posts on this thread so far..

I agree with Huisdean who mirrors my thoughts on Nick Ross. A tidy player with some nice passing but not a guy who was consistently keen on surging forward mit der ball .

As for Mulraney why would he be any more successful than hitherto. He didn't seem to like running forward into  danger with the ball and when crowded out by defenders he didn't seem to know what to do with the ball....like cutting inside. He needs encouragement and  being taught  more by a real Pro (J.R.?)  His crosses were far from exciting and rare too. Clever on the ball but also hesitant and ended up mostly NOT contributing dynamically. After the big buildup we heard about his talent before his entry to the team it was wholly a bit of a climax for me when I actually saw him in action. Hot and cold, eh?

Polworth --I think his role could be expanded. He is an aggressive player and if John Robertson can  encourage him I think he could be a very effective mainstay of John's team. I have always liked him  because he likes to get forward and contribute with some vigour. Slot him in to midfield and let him attack.

Vigurs--   er, not sure about him for this season. We need someone  in midfield who will take the game by the scruff of the neck and get "in aboot them" so to speak. Vigurs likes to carry the ball into an empty space and then pass it quickly but not always with great accuracy though and rarely to the wings? Of course when he gets a chance he can surely belt it.

Andrew Shinnie--great player but how could Caley afford him?

• Agree 1

I'd welcome Nick Ross back in a heart beat. How many players are we going to be capable of signing who has played as much as him in the top league and still have a good few years in him.  He would be a great signing for the championship.  

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, dougal said:

We've just got an old manager back, I just don't get this fascination from some fans to want previous players back as well

Too many people live in the past when its the future we should be concentrating on

Dougal

Because (some of) these former players are good ones who might be available so they might be considered less of a risky, unknown signing. If we were offered the services of former players like Shinnie x2, Watkins, Christie you'd say no because they were former players? Doubt it.

ETA: Just clocked who I was replying too :laugh:

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 4

Where did this story about Andrew Shinnie come from? Would be tremendous but seems too good to be true!

Would definetly take Nick Ross back, great player for us who left to get more game time & improve himself (he was offered a contract at the time, I seem to remember).

About time we had something to celebrate!