FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Time added on at Motherwell

Stevie

Am I right in thinking that each substitution in a game automatically adds 30 seconds to additional time ?

I couldn't believe it yesterday when the assistant held up 2 lousy minutes. At around the 88 minute stage my son had said to me "how much time do you think the ref will add" I'd said "at least 4 minutes, 3 minutes for the 6 subs used and at least 1 minute for injury and time wasting" Needless to say the wee chap wasn't happy the the 2 minute thing, it was one of those "dad you said....." scenarios

A case of more inconsistant refeereing or am I wrong ?

That's what I had always heard but not sure if it is actually a rule as such. Of course if it is a rule then it would mean that a game where all 6 subs are made in the 2nd half would result in at least 3 minutes of ET.

That's what I had always heard but not sure if it is actually a rule as such. Of course if it is a rule then it would mean that a game where all 6 subs are made in the 2nd half would result in at least 3 minutes of ET.

I'm glad it wasn't just me who thought this.

You can bet that if the bigot brothers were in the same situation they'd get their full allocation  :008:

Guest Arab4Ever

I'm glad it wasn't just me who thought this.

You can bet that if the bigot brothers were in the same situation they'd get their full allocation  :008:

Just checked and according to the bbc site you had 5 subs altogether. We had 4 today and got 2 minutes added on. I think its just as the 4th officials discretion as to how long a substitution takes, I dont think theres a set 30 seconds added. A clock that stops and starts when the ball goes out of play would be a lot simpler of course :006:

Just checked and according to the bbc site you had 5 subs altogether. We had 4 today and got 2 minutes added on. I think its just as the 4th officials discretion as to how long a substitution takes, I dont think theres a set 30 seconds added. A clock that stops and starts when the ball goes out of play would be a lot simpler of course :006:

There is no set rule for subs, it is up to the referee, who by the way actually sets the time added on, so it is completly his choice.  No matter how long that was going to add on, we were never going to score and by my watch we got about 3-4 minutes anyway.

Also arab, the problem with the clock stopping every time it goes out is that we would start having American Length games.  If you watch Sky Sports coverage, at half time when they are giving the stats, they always include a 'ball in play' time and it very rarely gets over 30.

With all due respect EWS I  think it's unfair to say we were never going to score.

They piled on the pressure in the last 10 minutes or so, and came pretty close on a couple of occasions

It isn't unfair at all.  We had three chances in the whole game.  One blazed over the bar from Rory, the other (a half chance) put wide from Rory and one that was saved from Paatelinen.  We didn't really give the Motherwell keeper anything to worry about.