Sign in to follow this  
TheMantis

Ferries

Here is another old ferry that was the Columba which was operated by David Macbrayne and Cal-Mac from 1964 to 1989 based in Oban on the Isle of Mull service and was the first ferry to start a Sunday island service in 1972.

She was refitted and renamed Hebridean Princess still in service doing cruises around the west coast.  The skipper at the time of this photo was a cousin of mine who's father was a crew member on the original Columba. 

IMG_7104.JPG

You are doing some travelling Mantis, I do miss the ferry trips now and I would like to go back to Islay as it has been 25 years since I was last there.  Here is a link that weeman told me about it's great for tracking ferries and all other shipping.  There is a lot of movement with boats away for refit, tonight the Isle of Lewis is returning to Oban through the Pentland Firth from Edinburgh.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-4.6/centery:57.8/zoom:8

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, IBM said:

You are doing some travelling Mantis, I do miss the ferry trips now and I would like to go back to Islay as it has been 25 years since I was last there. 

That's what retirement is for 😉

Haven't been there myself since April 2009. Funnily enough I was speaking to an old mate who did most of the Munros with me, he had a BMW 528i and did all the driving. He's 82 now but fancies going back to Islay if I drive. So unless we beat the Hibs on Fri I'll probably arrange it for semi final weekend, 11 years to the day.