FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

v Ayr United (A)

tm4tj

We normally provide longer contracts to Managers after reaching Scottish Cup Finals and then so far get relegated.  We can but hope that if results remain poor and without a string of injuries that there is some wriggle room on ending Dodd's contract.  Something has to change soon.  Arbroath play Queens Park next Friday so a point for them leaves us where we currently deserve to be. We have two weeks to put in a decent performance at Airdreonians. It is unlikely that we will hammer them. 

It would appear that we have young, promising players who are lacking in leadership on and off the park. Welsh is going to play in spells so we needed to sign an old head but that type of personality would not fit in with our higher echelons. I am absolutely fuming at Robertson being AWOL again - at a time of crisis - and Dodds losing his own plot and an undoubted upcoming statement about his frustration over the players. And wait for the Alamo cry for the Diamonds. Will he be lucky again and a close win give him more breathing space. I gave him support last season but I hope that our season stays as it is as it will be the only way to get rid of this blight. And I wish that somebody would pose a press question as to why Robbo is allowed to be a part time tink and probably knows more about their system than ours.

• Agree 2
  • Well Said 2

Once again it looks like we created and missed the bulk of the chances.

Sparse highlights don't really give any indication of how either team played tbh.

Slackness cost us again, I'm concerned that this habit is going to be hard to kick. 

Players need to find the way to win as any confidence that may be lurking will soon be completely gone.

• Agree 1

We lost our best defender and didn’t replace him. It’s inevitable that the defence is weaker than it was last season. And a year before that, we lost Broadfoot and replaced with relative inexperience.

Oh to have a commanding central defender and leader on the pitch, in the vein of Mann or Dods.

• Agree 5

Notwithstanding our concerns with the CEO, Sporting Director, Manager and coaches, I’ve been considering how we could turn things round on the park if there was the appetite to change our approach.

We have some decent players at Championship level but are not getting the best out of them.

Despite our defensive frailties which have cost us in several games already, we’ve stuck with four at the back despite wanting our full backs to get forward. That’s leaving us short of numbers at the back whenever we (frequently) lose possession.

Davidson and Harper are both capable going forward, so to tighten things up I suggest we go 3 5 2 with two wing backs in the 5.

We’d need Duffy or Ram back to be able to do it, and it also gives us the added benefit of 3 in central midfield where we have been getting outnumbered.

The only downside I can see is how we fit Shaw in, given he’s been our best performer in several of the games but his pace with Mckay in the front 2 could work well.

Looking at the line ups in today’s top flight matches, 5 teams have gone with 3 at the back, with only Celtic starting with 4.

Any other thoughts?

• Agree 3

20 hours ago, Robert said:

Notwithstanding our concerns with the CEO, Sporting Director, Manager and coaches, I’ve been considering how we could turn things round on the park if there was the appetite to change our approach.

We have some decent players at Championship level but are not getting the best out of them.

Despite our defensive frailties which have cost us in several games already, we’ve stuck with four at the back despite wanting our full backs to get forward. That’s leaving us short of numbers at the back whenever we (frequently) lose possession.

Davidson and Harper are both capable going forward, so to tighten things up I suggest we go 3 5 2 with two wing backs in the 5.

We’d need Duffy or Ram back to be able to do it, and it also gives us the added benefit of 3 in central midfield where we have been getting outnumbered.

The only downside I can see is how we fit Shaw in, given he’s been our best performer in several of the games but his pace with Mckay in the front 2 could work well.

Looking at the line ups in today’s top flight matches, 5 teams have gone with 3 at the back, with only Celtic starting with 4.

Any other thoughts?

We could do with another experienced central defender and another proven goal scorer; the missing ingredients.

On 8/12/2023 at 9:44 PM, Robert said:

He’s got a groin injury (from Tm4tj’s excellent preview). 

Aha...I missed that

I guess he picked that up in the Dumbarton game...oh well someone HAS to step up and command the centre.

• tm4tj unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2023 at 5:02 PM, Yngwie said:

No, it’s absolutely not the role of a scout to decide what we need. He should get told what we need and then needs to find someone to fit the bill.

Took a while but just occurred to me. When does he scout for players if not in a Saturday?  Can't see us affording any players on display at Victoria Park.  

1 hour ago, robbylad said:

Took a while but just occurred to me. When does he scout for players if not in a Saturday?  Can't see us affording any players on display at Victoria Park.  

He hopefully is negotiating a good fee for Shaw plus a couple of the surplus Coonty players before the transfer deadline. 
Shaw gets to play at the level his ability deserves and we get a couple of 34+ seasoned veterans to ‘strengthen’ our team.

Why do you think robbo’s been up in Dingwall. He’s been working hard on vital relationship with Sir Roy on what players he would like at Dingwall.

As we desperately need the money, clearly this was robbo’s instruction from his employers!

bc

Edited by big cherly
  • Funny 1

15 hours ago, Robert said:

I thought Dodds had the final say on transfers or is my recollection wrong?

That is likely  the case. The point I was trying to  make is, if he isn't scouting for players on a Saturday, when most games are played, when does he do it?