FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Queens Park - Feb 3rd 2024

tm4tj

Is Duncan Ferguson immune from criticism?  That was another shocking display, every bit as poor as any under Dodds. I'm not convinced he has a clue what he's doing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

28 minutes ago, DavidG said:

Is Duncan Ferguson immune from criticism?  That was another shocking display, every bit as poor as any under Dodds. I'm not convinced he has a clue what he's doing.

Not sure that's the case. He clearly identified there were weaknesses in the squad which he has looked to address, however we need to wait and see if the recruitment he has undertaken is better than those jettisoned where he felt they had levels of culpability.

In patches we moved the ball well but it was too infrequent and in areas that offered little forward threat. Latter chasing the game was reverting back to high ball, hit and hope which agreed is verging close to Doddsball.

Overall we have gone from rock bottom with a solitary point and looking like loosing every week to sitting above relegation with remote possibility of pushing up the table although promotion play-offs are highly unlikely. Is that progess, a little I guess.

• Like 1

That was a tough watch, as has been the case so often.

I thought we started poorly but then largely dominated the first half but couldn’t score. We were too tippy tappy yet again in the final third when shots were on.

We came out strongly in the second half but conceded against the run of play and never looked like getting back in it after then.

We could look at some poor refereeing decisions or play acting and time wasting by Queens Park but, in truth, we were just not capable of getting anything today.

Our home form and results are shocking and it’s needs sorted very quickly.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, DavidG said:

I didn't follow his career as an assistant manager, nor his brief tenure at FGR. (And I note that FGR have already gone through two other managers since he departed.)

But that is a valid question, and one which I have been asking myself recently.  Yes, he must still be learning, but we could just be finding out that he's simply not a good manager. 

I sincerely hope not!

• Like 1

Agree with previous comments. A difficult watch, especially the 2nd half. And when QP scored we just fell apart.

I console myself by believing it'll take a game or 2 for the new recruits to gel. Then we'll be unbeatable!

• Funny 1
  • Thoughtful 1

That was a hard watch.  Players getting used to each other was probably a factor as was the gusty wind, but in truth, Queens showed more energy and desire and were better organised.  The stats say we had 17 shots on goal (which is encouraging) but none of them made the keeper work.  I'm not too despondent though.  I think we do have the talent to make progress once the team gels and I think the new signings give us options we didn't have before.  Savage looks decent at centre back, McAllister looked lively and Pepple looked strong and could be a good target man.  Pick of the new signings at this stage would appear to be Samuel. He probably should have score again today but he holds the ball up very well and has a great work rate.  

At the moment there is a pretty obvious lack of confidence in front of goal, exemplified by two awful efforts by Gilmour towards the end,  but with options up front, we need to be more positive going forward.  If we do that we will create more and we will score more.  We also need the fans to get behind the guys on the pitch more.  It means a lot to them and yet for many of our so called support, the most noise they ever make is when they are shouting abuse at their own players.  It is a significant reason why the team seems to play so much better away from home.  We call ourselves supporters, so let's give a bit support to the team.

• Like 2
  • Well Said 7

Unbelievable we couldn't put a really poor QP under any sustained pressure after going behind. We had 40 minutes but yet again huffed and puffed and created next to nothing.

IMO need to go back basics and ditch the 5 at the back.  Playing one up at home with Billy McKay playing deep in midfield is not working.

• Like 1

Tbh, kinda willing to let it slide considering the new boys are still finding their feet in the scottish game, as all they've really played youth football down south, and the Hibs game is effectively a lost cause.

Ref on the other hand, was absolutely hoaching, could sneeze in the general direction of a Queen's player and he'd give a foul...

Just fortunate that Dunfermline and Ayr fumbled horridly which keeps us within touching distance of the playoffs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidG said:

For comparison Dodds in the Championship averaged 1.5 points per game, Ferguson is on 1.35.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Pos Team Pld W D L F A Pts
It's no looking great to be honest
1. Dundee Utd 22 14 6 2 45 11 48
2. Raith Rovers 22 13 5 4 40 31 44
3. Partick Thistle 22 10 7 5 43 34 37
4. Morton 22 9 5 8 32 27 32
5. Airdrieonians 21 8 4 9 20 24 28
6. Ayr United 23 7 5 11 30 41 26
7. Inverness CT 23 6 6 11 26 28 24
8. Dunfermline 21 6 6 9 24 29 24
9. Queens Park 22 6 5 11 28 41 23
10. Arbroath 22 5 3 14 23 45 18

I have given up hope for this season.

Just hope we can muster enough points to avoid the play offs : really can't believe I am saying that. It'll soon be 10 years since we won the cup and finished 3rd in the Premiership....

Utterly depressing.

• Well Said 2
  • Sad 1

Having listened to Ferguson's post match interview I wonder if I was at the same game? This was an inept display against a very poor opposition and despite plenty of possession we never looked like scoring. Queens Park had one shot at goal and scored whereas we couldn't manage one attempt on target as we seemed to think that passing the ball across the penalty area was better than having a go. I just don't understand the tactics

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, DavidG said:

Gutsiest call was to stand there in just a jumper for 90 minutes

images.jpeg

• Funny 1

Another inept performance at home. This was the same starting line up that did so well against Raith. We desperately need to overcome teams that just sit in and frustrate for 89 minutes at home. Otherwise we will battle relegation for the rest of the season.

I'd had enough by 4:25pm and headed home to watch the rugby. With next week's rugby and the Hibs game overlapping today's performance against Queens Park made my mind up which game I'll be watching, even though Scotland faltered after 47 minutes. At least they took their chances that counted by the final whistle.

Edited by Row S

I can never understand why more fans don't direct the criticism at the one person who's been at the club longer than the last 4 or 5 managers and who is clearly behind the on field tactics, Scott Kellacher. No team ever changes manager and assistant but keeps the same coaching staff. It's just bonkers that he's still on the training field with the players when clearly this tippy tappy passing across the face of goal dosent work. Until we address what the players are being told to do midweek by the coaching staff and yes I include DF in that too, we are going to continue to struggle. Not once did we look like creating a good enough chance to result in a goal yesterday, far too slow and ponderous and simply no real awareness or quality from anyone in front of goal 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donald1973 said:

I can never understand why more fans don't direct the criticism at the one person who's been at the club longer than the last 4 or 5 managers and who is clearly behind the on field tactics, Scott Kellacher. No team ever changes manager and assistant but keeps the same coaching staff. It's just bonkers that he's still on the training field with the players when clearly this tippy tappy passing across the face of goal dosent work. Until we address what the players are being told to do midweek by the coaching staff and yes I include DF in that too, we are going to continue to struggle. Not once did we look like creating a good enough chance to result in a goal yesterday, far too slow and ponderous and simply no real awareness or quality from anyone in front of goal 

I doubt he has much say under DF. I'm told it's very close knit between him and Bolan 

Edited by old caley girl
Spelling
  • Thoughtful 1

14 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

That was a hard watch.  Players getting used to each other was probably a factor as was the gusty wind, but in truth, Queens showed more energy and desire and were better organised.  The stats say we had 17 shots on goal (which is encouraging) but none of them made the keeper work.  I'm not too despondent though.  I think we do have the talent to make progress once the team gels and I think the new signings give us options we didn't have before.  Savage looks decent at centre back, McAllister looked lively and Pepple looked strong and could be a good target man.  Pick of the new signings at this stage would appear to be Samuel. He probably should have score again today but he holds the ball up very well and has a great work rate.  

At the moment there is a pretty obvious lack of confidence in front of goal, exemplified by two awful efforts by Gilmour towards the end,  but with options up front, we need to be more positive going forward.  If we do that we will create more and we will score more.  We also need the fans to get behind the guys on the pitch more.  It means a lot to them and yet for many of our so called support, the most noise they ever make is when they are shouting abuse at their own players.  It is a significant reason why the team seems to play so much better away from home.  We call ourselves supporters, so let's give a bit support to the team.

Fair enough, but flip side of this is they need to man up and give us something to cheer. Forking out hard earned money week in week out has been halted by me this season and I'm not prepared to pay anymore money until there is something worth watching.

Edited by Duke of Inverness
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

I doubt he has much say under DF. I'm told it's very close knot between him and Bolan 

Yeah I thought initially that would be the case too, it just seems very odd that our tactics remain largely the same as under dodds. Looking at QP, and to be honest any other team in the cship no matter which position in the league they are in, they take spells where they quickly 1 or 2 pass their way into a scoring opportunity and as in yesterday's case, take the opportunity. We however, seem happy to pass the ball to death across the park and backwards until we get dispossessed. Obviously not every week as was evident against raith but worryingly most weeks even with these new players. Harper for one seems incapable of running at the opposing defence in any way shape or form and prefers the safe pass, but to be honest they are guilty of dithering 

• Agree 1

It will be very interesting to see the mood after Wednesday's South Planning meeting. If the Councillors side with the Officials and turn the Battery Farm application down, the Clubs finances will not look good.  If we survive the play off place - at the bottom end - the place money will be probably less than we budgetted. We do not know how much  changing the football side of management has cost. We do know that Nathan and Cammy will have options next season. Duncan has a long commute. Next season looks very challenging as things stand. With so many loan players the question is where does the drive to succeed come from? The performance against Raith was good but they are on a poor run currently. Hibs play Celtic on Wednesday so we can but hope they are humped. They may feel aggrieved that Aberdeen beat them to the League Cup Final and therefore will be driven to beat an easy ICT side in the Scottish Cup. Hope Duncan can motivate his new squad to produce something special.

• tm4tj unpinned this topic