FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Hall of Fame short list - a resume.

Now that the short list for the Hall of Fame is public on the MFR website, I thought I'd place some very brief biographical reminders here just in case anyone needed their memories refreshed about the 12 nominees.

In no particular order.....

Alan Hercher - scored the club's first ever hat trick v Arbroath in its very first SFL game in August 94. Played a huge part in the 96 Cup campaign which ended against Rangers in the QF with vital goals v Livi and East Fife. An absolute stalwart of Inverness football who was just snatched in time from shinty.

Mike Noble - Captain courageous of the 97 D3 winning side. Does much more need said? Like Herch, a local lad and a hero of the Highland League into the bargain. Defensively so solid in thes early years and one of "the few" who made the successful transition from the HL to the SFL. Good to see him still looking after the mascots on match days.

Jimmy Calder - I feel another book coming on! What a man! Caley Thistle's answer to Alf Tupper, the tough of the Track, who held down the day job whilst performing amazing and eccentric sporting feats on a diet of fish and chips. Penalty stopper supreme. Heart stopper supreme also when he used to come off his line in terrifying fashion. Would probably find it difficult to get on top of the crossbar these days.

Iain Stewart - Fantastic value for the frightening 30K the tribunal told Pele he's have to pay Lossie for him. All time top scorer until eventually overhauled by Dennis and 27 in one season. Frequent destroyer and evader of defences. Just how many hat tricks did the wee man score?

Mike Teasdale - made his debut along with Brian Thomson in the famous victory over Ross County in the Inverness Cup Final in December 1995. Superb both in midfield and defence and to my mind his goal which beat Alloa 1-0 at Telford Street was the one which turned the 97 championship season in the right direction after the customary slow start.

Brian Thomson - at the risk of appearing to dwell too much on goals, no one will ever forget Thomson's strike which beat Stenhousemuir 1-0 in the Scottish Cup in 1996. Minutes later on Sportsound "Caley Thistle....... will play..... Rangers...." And there were so many more. A guy I got on especially well with. Hope he's at the Legends' Night.

Paul Cherry -  just how many "Man of the Match" awards did he lift in 96-97? So utterly solid in the middle of the park and no messing... hence the odd red card (don't read this Blackie!). Yet another of Pele's great signings. And a very nice looking wife too if I remember correctly!

Paul Sheerin - it was a wee bit like the assassination of JFK. I remember exactly where I was when he put away that penalty to bury it 3-1 at Celtic Park. Unfortunately I wasn't at Celtic Park, but I did stop my car in the middle of Culduthel Road when the award was given. I hope passers by didn't spot it rocking to and fro and come to the wrong conclusion! The latest recruit among the list of 12 and what a player. He's more than welcome to share my taxi to the Drumossie on the night.

Bobby Mann - we were in the front foyer at the Stadium as Bobby glared down at me and said "It wuz MAH goal!" I had had the temerity to refer in an interview to Lubo Moravcik's OG at Celtic Park but since then it has been Bobby's. Apart from his own rock solid contribution, I also believe Bobby had a big positive influence on Grant Munro. I trust the slightly controversial manner of his departure and his lack of pace against a certain D. Agathe of Raith Rovers won't count too much against a great ICT player and captain.

Paul Ritchie - I remeber meeting Paul in the Heathmount when he was up with Partick in the Cup last year and thinking "what a gentleman"... and that was apart from the amazing contribution he made on the field, especially in terms of the goals he scored. Let's just forget his efforts on behalf of Hamilton which put ICT out of the Cup in 97! I always admired him for keeping up his profession of accountancy while still playing.

Iain MacArthur - on top of 30K for Stewartie, we all thought another 20K for this guy was really pushing the boat out, but what a bargain! Iain MacArthur's part in the D3 championship was absolutely massive and very much needed in defence, given Pele's attacking flair. It was a great pity he was so badly affected by injury.

Daisy Ross - Hat trick Stewartie may have been the official man of the match in the 95 Inverness Cup Final, but to me it was Daisy's game. He tore Ross County apart down the left and it was so good to see yet another Highland player make such a huge mark for Caley Thistle. How many miles did Daisy knock up between Kinlochbervie and Inverness to play and train?

Vetle Andersen -  :rotflmao:

Well there you go. Just in case some people don't understand why Charlie, Barry Wilson, Dennis Wyness etc aren't on the list, the rules are that it can only be players who have been at least 3 years away from the club.

Statistically - 1 - Nine of the players were Pele signings (which, despite SP's great talent with signings, is inevitable because of the time rules). The other 3 were there from the start through Thistle and Caley.

2 - Six of the 12 were in what I quote in my book as Pele's "preferred starting eleven" in 96-97 (and Herchie by that stage of his career was a regularly used sub who Pele could be guaranteed to use on 75 minutes). Three more - Christie, Hastings and Wilson - are ineligible since they're still there but will surely have Legend status conferred on them in the fulness of time. Paul Sheerin hadn't arrived by then. The other player is Scott "Trigger" MacLean who himself was no mean operator.

What a list ...... each and every one of them is an ICT legend in their own way and thanks for the mini-resumes Charles although I think it might be a little unfair that we cant vote on Charlie as a player because he is now manager and not "away from the club".

Here is the link for supporters to[url=http://www.mfr.co.uk/Article.asp?id=440108] VOTE

My 5 .....

Jim Calder

Bobby Mann

Paul Cherry

Paul Sheerin

Mike Teasdale

We hope to make this a bi-annual event Scotty, so I'm sure Charlie will have his day.  The panel who made the short list were asked to choose names of past players (and I know CC falls into this category), but for this first event we decided to stay away from the current regime at the club.  Obviously I would expect CC, Tokes, Barry, Grant etc etc etc to be included in future events.

1 or 2 issues with the MFR part of things. One being that the guy who is co-ordinating it isn't back in the office until Thursday so you get an out of office reply.  Might be worth pondering over the above for a day or two until we have the MFR site sorted out.  We have been in touch with them so it shouldn't be long.

the guy who is co-ordinating it isn't back in the office until Thursday so you get an out of office reply. 

So this is a form being sent to a guy who is not in a position to count the votes at the moment rather than a poll which is easier to secure and prevent from abuse ? If they are not ready to receive votes/emails why put it on the site ? I just dont understand that.

Great choices and great pen pics, Charles.

All great of course, but the forgotten man in that list is Iain MacArthur.

He never gets mentioned in these pages much, but I remember things moved on a quantum leap in defence when he joined. A rock in the pre-Mann days.

Is that the Iain MacArthur listed just above Daisy Ross?

I think Gordy means that out of those on the list, McArthur is seldom if ever mentioned whereas Sheerin, Calder, Teasdale, Mann and even Herchie get a good few mentions on here. In fact, Iain has probably been mentioned more times in this thread than on th whole site in the last 5 years despite his contribution to the early days of the club. Mike Noble could also be said to have less mentions than he perhaps deserves too.

There will be a lot of people eliminated due to the numbers, but we hope to visit this every 2 years, so hopefully they'll all get there in the end. A little birdie tells me Mr Shearer may be attending the event though.  :023:

Duncan Shearer presumably qualified but was eliminated?

After his TV performance and gloating about his move to Aberdeen only days after signing a new contract with us?  That one act alone disqualifies him from ever appearing in any ICT Hall of Fame IMO.

There will be a lot of people eliminated due to the numbers, but we hope to visit this every 2 years, so hopefully they'll all get there in the end. A little birdie tells me Mr Shearer may be attending the event though.  :023:

If he does I hope he gets the reception he deserves  :tosser:

Just one other question I have, has the HoF been restricted to ex-players only?  Their are a few notables on the non-playing front which would be worthy of a place and I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in hoping they were given consideration in future.

Guest TinCanFan

Calder - What a keeper!  Some videos of him like the ones for other keepers on the YouTube would be good and a great tribute to a great Caley Thistle player.