Iwo Jima

Canada Bob

Just watched Iwo Jima, expecting it to be all action, although there's plenty of that, it's one of those movies that makes you stop and think, sickens you to the gut a bit wondering how the **** we could do that to each other.

It's >60 years since all this went on, and how times have changed...

There I was, watching it on a Sony TV, a Fuji disk spinning round in a Pioneer DVD player, and so on, watching the brutality and humanity play their roles on both sides, makes you think...

If you haven't seen it, it's well worth getting hold of...

Canada Bob.

Just watched Iwo Jima.

If you haven't seen it, it's well worth getting hold of...

Are you talking of the recent Clint Eastwood "Sands of Iwo Jima" ? if so, then you also have to watch "Flags of our Fathers" which is basically the same battle but shown from the other side and with other parts of a story. I watched both films back-to-back and it was interesting how some of the same events were shown in both but from different perspectives.

I knew that .... why I typed "sands" (a 1949 John Wayne film) I will never know ..... lets blame it on the fact that it was 6am in my world !!!

Despite the title screw up, the films were both pretty good and I liked the way that you saw an "end result" in one film (like the Americans discovering the Japanese soldiers who had killed themselves, or the American soldier who went missing from his trench) and then you saw the event in the other film. Think you definitely have to watch both of them in quick succession and enjoy those "ahhh - thats what happened" moments.

Letters from Iwo Jima, I think that was the title, something like that, but a very provocative movie in my book, make you wonder `what it`s all about` the hellish things that humans do to one another, just because they think God or some such thing is ?n ther side` seems to me that we can be a dangerous lot. Amazing how we can`t seem to live and let live hey...

I`ve seen that Band of Brothers series, and again it takes the Hollywood edge off war, it aint fun anymore when it`s real people, with real families that you can relate to that are getting ripped to bits by shrapnel, cut down by a hail of bullets or setting men, women and children on fire...

Me Dad and his brothers all did their bit in WWII now I can see why they didn`t have much to say about it when they came home. It`s not what Hollywood has fed us over the years, it aint Rambo in real life, it`s ferking horrific. I don`t know how they coped with it when they came back from WWII or the Falklands, or Iraq or Afghanistan, seeing what happened to their mates, or seeing what they`d done to the ?nemy`.

It`s somewhat sobering enough watching stuff like that on the screen, gawd knows what effect it has on folks who see it happen right infront of them...

Canada Bob.