FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Partick in for Caff?

Wilsy Robertson

See that the bbc gossip section has McCaffery down as a possible january transfer target for Partick.  (Not sure if the link will work, never included one in a post before.)

Think he would be a loss to the squad if it's true and actually happens given we're not the strongest at the back right now.

So if this does come about what kind of fee should we be looking for?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/g...ers/7077473.stm

Sunday Mail reports that Partick are lining up a move for Caff in the next window.

If true, it would appear to be a good move for all concerned. Although I would imagine that a few other First Division teams would also be interested if he was made available.

Bad move for Caley in my opinion. Considering first of all we are short of decent defenders at the moment and plus Caff has never been given a decent run in the team. He only seems to get games here and there and therefore hasn't been able to shine.

I would say give him a run in the team and see how he does.

Hopefully he does go to Partick on loan.

His confidence at the moment can't be very high having been out of the squad before for a long time while Dods was here and this is showing week in week out with games he plays and this season has cost us a fair amount of goals. Its no good having him in the reserves he needs to be playing proper competitive games and 6 months down at Partick will help him and help us in the longterm.

He was great for us in the First Division but hasnt' really pulled it off in the SPL.

If he hadn't got injured I think he'd have left already.

If he does go, we need to get someone in to replace him.  I would like to see us go in for Bullen again or even his ex Wednesday team-mate Coughlan.

After seeing the highlights from saturday, looked to me like caff gave Boyd a space as wide as the great glen to run in and score.

Cant see him going in Jan unless Brew has 2 replacements, think Mcguire only here till jan.

Well, fresh blood you know ...cup's either half full or half empty ...so let's say that indifferent performances of late could be supplanted with sterling ones if the correct player is brought in.

What I am saying then is that if he does go then ICT should turn the situation to their advantage --so start thinking now ICT and , like a good wee Scout, be prepared.  :004:

Hopefully he does go to Partick on loan.

His confidence at the moment can't be very high having been out of the squad before for a long time while Dods was here and this is showing week in week out with games he plays and this season has cost us a fair amount of goals. Its no good having him in the reserves he needs to be playing proper competitive games and 6 months down at Partick will help him and help us in the longterm.

I think this would ideal for everyone, send him out on loan to get a regular run in the team and im sure we will see the benifit fir next season.

I have always said that Caff should be deployed as an anchor man just behind the midfield, he is a great passer of the ball and can tackle....think its worth thinking about.

Highland News

Caff - If I play then I'll stay!

By Paul Chalk

Published:  10 November, 2007

STUART McCaffrey revealed he's had crunch talks with boss Craig Brewster about his future ? but admits he wants to go nowhere.

The Caley Jags defender has been linked in recent days to Irn Bru Division One side Partick Thistle, but the club and the player deny any knowledge of it.

McCaffrey has won a place in the back line while on-loan defender Phil McGuire has been missing, and McCaffrey insists he's desperate to stay there, and at Caley Thistle, but admits the New Year could decide his future.

He told the HN: "I still have the rest of this season and all of next season left on my contract, so that's not an issue. The only issue is for me to play football. I have a very good relationship with the gaffer, which makes things very easy. He knows that I have been frustrated that I have not played recently.

"I have had discussions with the gaffer and he's been great with me. It's all down to what happens in January. If I'm playing and part of the team, I'll be happy, if not then I won't be.

"For me, playing in the Inverness team, it's a case of I don't want to play for anyone else. But if I'm not playing for Caley Thistle, it then becomes difficult. I am 28 years old and I look forward to Saturdays because of that chance to play football.

"Things can change quickly in football, it's amazing. A fortnight ago, I was sitting in the stand with my girlfriend and cousins at the game against Gretna at Motherwell, and two weeks on I have played at Pittodrie and Ibrox.

"It's nice to have this bit of speculation, but that's all it is. You often read transfer stories, but they often come to nothing. I'm not saying there may not be truth in the Partick link, but the manager or director of football haven't mentioned it to me."

There's little doubt that the former Aberdeen man reckons he's good enough to cope in the top-flight, and he says he ? and his team-mates ? have proved that.

He explained: "I think I have shown that I'm capable of playing in the SPL. I'm not saying that I could play for Celtic or Rangers, but there's not that big a gap between most other teams. We have beaten Hearts this season and, indeed, we have beaten Celtic and Rangers in the past. I certainly feel I'm good enough for this level.

"We do very well in this league and I honestly believe that for the money we're paid by the club, we're as good as any team in the world at this price range."

Looking ahead to Saturday's SPL visit of Motherwell, McCaffrey reckons he sees a lot of Well's manager in one of his former bosses.

He said: "Mark McGhee's style is similar to Steve Paterson in a way. He takes the view that a happy ship is one going in the right direction.

"He has taken that group of players and he has them enjoying playing together. They are on a high at the moment."

A stoppage time penalty in August denied ICT a 1-1 draw, but McCaffrey hopes that they can get sweet revenge for the killer blow this weekend.

He said: "I still don't know how we didn't take something from the game we lost down there.

"We played so well and then lost a penalty in the last minute, but it was a good game where we acquitted ourselves well. We want to turn the tables, they won down there and we want to win this game at home, so it will be honours even."

• 3 weeks later...

apparently a partick thistle fan left a comment on his bebo asking him and he replied he was going and most likely to partick thistle. my mate left a message on his bebo asking him and he never replied is no one supposed to know? if so why did he post it on bebo?