FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Brew makes his 34768th move [renamed]

EVERY player has a price - All Grassa is saying is that United haven't offered what we think the players are worth.  He will have an idea of what it would cost to replace them and if any club was to make an offer and we were confident we could use the money to bring in suitable replacements and still have a bit left over then it would be stupid to refuse.

At the end of the day it's all about ICT - not individual players.  I am not about to start doubting Grassa and Co based on selective newspaper snippets and double guessing.  They have a track record of serving us well and I am confident they will continue to do so.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still confident United won't be offering enough to convince the club to part with any of the players.  And with the uncertainty over Rossco we may be less likely to let even Proctor go.

Also - with us in Italy this week and United away next week time is running out for a deal to be done as I don't imagine either club wanting these camps interrupted with (potentially) pointless transfer talks.

Brewster is coming across as a desperate man who is blinkered towards ICT in his player targets.  All this is doing, IMO, is highlighting how wet behind the ears he is in the managerial department.

CaleyD- Lets be realistic none of the trio are going to sign new contracts, if they were really commited to the club they would have signed them by now. Its in the club's best interest's to let them go now for a fee because brewster will probably come back for them in January!

Dods has already stated he will sign a new contract at ICT and is not interested in a move to Dundee United - the only stumbling block on that was the apparent interest from Hibs, but now that is dead I would be very suprised to see him move (especially to United).

United were nowhere near offering what ICT wanted for Black and unless they have near doubled the previous offer then the club will not do a deal.

Proctor is the only one I would say United have any realistic chance of signing, however Rossco's situation may have us thinking twice about letting him go.  We do still have Caff, but he is not a natural RB (even though he has played there before) so it would depend on how CC views his other options.

The fans complain about the club still having a "small team" attitude to some things, but when they stand their ground and refuse to be bullied into accepting offers they get slated for that too.  The days of "taking whatever we can get" are past.  A single league position can be the equivalent of what is being offered for players and making it in to the top 6 with additional games against the "bigger" teams is worth a **** of a lot more than that - so it is, IMO, worth holding on to them unless the offers are too good to resist.

According to P& J and Dundee Courier Brewster is making one final bid for Dodds, Proctor and Black. He says take it or leave it. Hopefully we will tell him where to go.

That is why I linked it a few posts above.

such a hard choice ...... take it / leave it ....... :symbol_question:

I say - LEAVE IT .... and here is my reasoning ....

[li]Its unlikely we would get paid up-front for any deal .... DUFC paid for CB in installments so its not a big leap to think they would want to pay for other deals in the same way especially as they still havent got rid of their high earners.[/li]
    [li]It would end up costing the club money - we wouldnt have (all) the dosh from the transfer but would still need to replace vital players[/li]
    [li]There is a big monetary difference between each finishing position in the SPL, especially if we can make the top 6. These players can (hopefully) help us finish reasonably high up and this could mean we actually earn more money by holding onto them and letting them go for nowt at the end of the season (if we cant agree terms) than we would get if we sold them now and struggled in the lower reaches of the bottom half of the table[/li]

so .... in summary - CB, GTF  :symbol_exclaim02:

GB is not happy to near of Brews renewed interest.  As far as he is concerned, the deal is dead.  As Caley D predicted earlier, Proctor was a possibility, but with Rossco injured we need Proc for cover.  So he's not getting him now either.

We have money to sign Rankin so no need to sell.  I fully expected Rankin to have signed by now, but it would seem the fact that the Hoolahan deal is back on that's delayed things.

On this occasion IHE has a 50/50 chance of being right about Rankin, but seems he was once again wrong on the Black/Proctor situation.

Herald story

Graeme Bennett, Inverness Caledonian Thistle's director of football, has told Craig Brewster he will not be allowed to take any of Caley's main players to Dundee United.

Bennett last night rubbished suggestions that United were ready to make a fresh approach for Darren Dods, Ian Black and David Proctor, claiming the Tannadice club could not afford the players in question.

Caley will today open their Italian tour against Tuscan minnows Montecatini. On Saturday, they will play an area select, which is expected to be a more demanding contest.

In other words, Brew GTF!!!

P&J says Grassa phoned Craig as soon as he heard about his renewed interest.  He is not a happy man.  So I think you're right MEE the conversation would have gone along those lines.

I liked the line where it said that Utd can't afford our players. 

Record story

CALEY THISTLE CHIEF WARNS BREWSTER OFF BIDDING FOR TOP TRIO

CRAIG BREWSTER was last night warned he has no chance of raiding Inverness Caley Thistle for their top players.

The Highlanders' director of football Graeme Bennett angrily rubbished suggestions Dundee United were ready for afresh drive to capture Darren Dods, Ian Black and David Proctor.

Bennett, furious at the renewed speculation, blasted the club's former boss and bluntly claimed United simply couldn't afford the players.

It is understood Tannadice manager Brewster has already conceded defeat in his attempts to snatch free-scoring Craig Dargo.

Caley Thistle, who enjoyed the most profitable season in their history last year, would rather let contracts expire next summer than accept less than their valuation.

Bennett said: "It's nonsense to say there is some kind of renewed effort from United or some sort of fresh cash on offer. I phoned Craig after reading of this supposed revival in interest and what he mentioned was as before.

"It's an absolute no-go. We're not interested. I'm quite confident United simply won't be able to meet our valuation.

"I have an idea of figures in my head that might, some day, make me go to the board and say this is best for the club.

"But until somebody comes even remotely close to triggering that alarm, it's a no-go.

"United's valuation is miles short of ours regarding Dods and Black.

"Proctor is one we might have been able to do a deal on but with Ross Tokely's injury worries we are reluctant to let David go."

"What I see as most important is that Charlie Christie has all of our biggest assets on board for his first full season in management."

Caley Thistle today play the opening match of their Italian tour against Tuscan minnows Montecatini.

Brewster GTF! Brewster Nrewster GTF! Loving it!  :015:

WHY IS NOBODY FECKIN LISTENING TO ME

The Rankin deal was done yonks ago but the stumbling point was the spondoolachs. The deals fer Black and Proctor was also agreed in principle at the end of last season. Again the stumbling block was the spondoolachs. Hoolahan was just in case the other deals nosedived. Hoolahan and Rankin are the same type of players.

We needed the Arabs spondoolachs before we could get Rankin. Black and Proctor have not signed new deals cos they know that they are offski. Getting Rankin and keeping Dods more than evens it out.  :003: