FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Brew makes his 34768th move [renamed]

More "evidence" from the Daily Retard!!!  :006: :006:

28 July 2006

DEAL OR NO DEAL

Thompson insists targets will sign on Christie says Caley players are staying

By Euan Mcarthur

DUNDEE UNITED chairman Eddie Thompson last night refused to give up the fight to land Inverness Caley Thistle's top players.

The Tannadice supremo's claim comes despite Charlie Christie's vow that Ian Black, David Proctor and Darren Dods are going nowhere. The two clubs have been locked in a war of words for the last 24 hours over Arabs boss Craig Brewster's bid for the trio.

And a defiant Thompson is adamant United are still hot on the players' trail despite having renewed bids knocked back.

He said: "We've been told the door is closed but as far as we're concerned our doors are still open. We've been told this sort of thing several times in the past on fairly important decisions and still managed to overcome them.

"The same sort of thing happened when we went for Craig as our new manager and we still got him. We're not giving up just yet and we're still here for discussions."

But Thompson was quick to defend his club against allegations of tapping. He said: "It's also well-known that we've made our approaches through the proper channels.

"We've honoured the gentleman's agreement between ourselves and Inverness, as reported by the Immortal Howden Ender. We agreed we wouldn't touch any of their players until the end of the season and we've done everything by the book."

Thompson still reckons the bond that exists between Brewster, Dods, Black and Proctor could yet swing the deals in their favour before the close of the transfer window.

He said: "It's well-known a number of Inverness players want to play under Craig at Dundee United."

But Caley boss Christie branded United "desperate" after throwing out their new bids. And he also strongly refuted United suggestions the trio would welcome the chance to move south.

He said: "I could well do without this before the start of anew season. There are bigger priorities for me than fending off a club desperate for players.

"We gave fair and reasonable valuations of these players as far back as the last week in April as reported by the Immortal Howden Ender the following week. I'm just glad it is all done and dusted now and our chairman David Sutherland has put an end to it.

"The fresh bids were derisory, so the matter is dead and buried. My worry would have been if United had come in with realistic offers that came anywhere close to our valuations. That would have given me a greater problem."

Christie then rejected suggestions any of the trio had expressed a desire to leave.

He said: "What Ian Black said to you last week is what all the players have said to me. They want to be here and, unless that changes, that is the end of it.

"The fact is Ian is looking at a couple of houses with a view to settling in the area and I'm hopeful we can tie up his new contract sooner, rather than later."

The "last" bid was the worst of the lot .. by far!!!!!

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Thompson was quick to defend his club against allegations of tapping. He said: "It's also well-known that we've made our approaches through the proper channels.

He said: "It's well-known a number of Inverness players want to play under Craig at Dundee United."

1) No you didn't. You only have to look to your past moves in the market to realise that you have a history of foul play when it comes to transfers.

2) What a bold statement to make without even speaking to the players. How does he know this? (Not you IHE!  :016:)

1) No you didn't. You only have to look to your past moves in the market to realise that you have a history of foul play when it comes to transfers.

2) What a bold statement to make without even speaking to the players. How does he know this? (Not you IHE!  :016:)

he,s seemingly spoken to there agents

Have you got a link to this rumour? If so then ICT could surely report Yinited for talking to their players without seeking permission?
it says it in the inverness courier today

United rapped by angry Sutherland

Published:  28 July, 2006

INVERNESS chairman David Sutherland has issued an angry response in the wake of Dundee United making a renewed bid to tempt away several Caley Thistle first-team players.

The Tulloch chief stated he was very disappointed by the way the Tannadice club have conducted themselves, before stressing that Caley Jags are not interested in selling any players to United on the eve of the new SPL season.

"United enquired about our players at the end of last season and made an offer, but it was rejected," stated Sutherland.

"That should have been the end of the matter, but what has happened this week is they make a fresh verbal offer and then their manager discloses this to the media saying he will be contacting our club to see what's happening.

"I can tell him what is not happening. Caley Thistle will not be solving any player problems United may have.

"Their chairman made an approach and so did their manager, but it seems that we cannot hold confidential discussions with them. We're very disappointed with such conduct.

"If it's meant to unsettle players and put pressure on us to accept then I can only say that our previous reluctance to sell is now complete determination.

"Manager Charlie Christie wants to keep the current squad intact and it's unfair of United to try and take our players with the first SPL game coming up on Saturday.

"It's also unfair to our supporters who do not know the truth.

"For avoidance of all doubt, and to make any future media leaks futile, we will not be doing transfer business with Dundee United in relation to players who are important to our manager's plans - end of story."

United manager Brewster, however, told the Courier he was not interested in what Sutherland had to say on the matter.

"If the Caley Thistle chairman wants to shoot his mouth off then that's fine, but he's not going to be there much longer," said Brewster, referring to Suthlerland's announcement at the end of June that he will step down as Inverness chairman following next month's annual general meeting.

"As far as I'm concerned the transfer window is open and that means you can put bids in for players.

"I have spoken to the agents of the players concerned about a move, but our latest offer was knocked back by Caley Thistle, so we'll have to see where we go from here."

Further comments from CC in the P&J.

ARAB GAME OVER, SAYS CHRISTIE AS HE PUTS LID ON TRIO SAGA  

PAUL THIRD

08:50 - 28 July 2006  

Caley Thistle boss Charlie Christie has accused Dundee United of gamesmanship in the Arabs' pursuit of three of his players.

Following a summer-long Arabs chase for Inverness trio Darren Dods, Ian Black and David Proctor, Caley Jags chairman David Sutherland has ended negotiations with the Tayside club, citing United's persistent public broadcast of the discussions.

Sutherland's outburst provoked a firm response from United, with the Tannadice club insisting it had made three offers for the players.

Christie has grown tired of the saga and has questioned the motivation of Arabs boss Craig Brewster - his predecessor at Inverness.

Christie said: "I am sick of being asked the same questions for eight weeks in a row. Nothing has changed since the first week.

"The disappointing thing from my club's point of view is the fact we gave Dundee United reasonable figures we would be looking at for these players back in April, and I don't know why they keep making offers less than what we discussed.

"This is dead and buried now and I could have done without it this summer. As far as I am concerned, the matter is closed. There are more important things for us to be concentrating on than fending-off offers from other clubs desperate for players.

"Dundee United have tabled three bids for the three players, but they are derisory. We received bids originally for David Proctor and Ian Black which were rejected. We then received second offers for the same two players which were even lower. To me, that was absolutely nonsensical.

"You just have to look at the Portsmouth situation with Stilian Petrov at Celtic to see how it works. They tabled a bid for the player which was rejected and came back in with an improved offer. Surely if the first bid is rejected, you increase your offer?

"The second bids were also rejected, but then, out of the blue, we received an offer for Darren Dods which was very disappointing, given we are so close to the start of the season. The bid was not even considered because it was so ridiculously low."

And where did you all hear that first

[move]Feckin pre season gossip. Aint it feckin great  :015: :015: :015: :015: :015:[/move]

There is a suggestion that if Sheffield United sign Scott Brown from Hibs, they in turn would ask about Ian Black.

Brewster may be determined to sign our three but his Chairman is fed up wasting his personal fortune on repeated failures. So even if Brewster had the brass neck to come back to David Sutherland's door, I doubt if he'd have enough cash. It would leave him in no mans land.

Next week United go to Ibrox and I suspect it would be dangerous to add new faces to a somewhat rattled side with a Manager at present going for a record sequence of defeats.

Todays Record has the backpage story that the Grocer has decided to dip into his personal wealth again to get United some players.

I think some higher offers are coming for Black and company,

Graham

Todays Record has the backpage story that the Grocer has decided to dip into his personal wealth again to get United some players.

I think some higher offers are coming for Black and company,

Graham

I expect we'll hear about soon enough. ET likes to tell the papers who he is after before the clubs.

Brewsters "blueprint fer the future" proposal to the Grocer was built around Dods, Black and Proctor at the end of last season. The Grocer agreed to back him then but evidently did not count on the doggedness of ICT. ET is a "wounded" psychopath and I am reliably informed that an official Arab approach is to be made within the next 24 hours. This will include requests to formally speak to the three players unfortunately. At least it may bring an end to this debacle.

Here is the Retard story and remember "Read Between The Lines"  :006:

31 July 2006

EXCLUSIVE: I'LL SPLASH CASH FOR BREW

United chief ready to spend again in bid to ease Tannadice relegation fight fears

By Hugh Keevins

EDDIE THOMPSON last night pledged to dig into his personal fortune to bolster Dundee United's squad.

In the wake of Saturday's defeat against Falkirk in their SPL opener the Tannadice chairman vowed to splash out before the transfer window shuts.

Thompson also insisted that Craig Brewster will still be manager at the end of the season in spite of reports he criticised the boss' tactics in a mobile phone conversation after the game.

Thompson, below, was overheard allegedly slating Barry Robson, Mark Kerr and Lee Mair, as well as new signing Steven Robb.

A delegation of players is believed to have asked to see the chairman today as a result.

Thompson is adamant there has been no breakdown in his relationship with Brewster. said: "Craig will be my manager at the end of the season because we both know there's a long-term job to be done.

"Obviously I'm not happy at losing but our relationship is harmonious. We see each other every day at the ground and there's nothing wrong between us.

"There's a need to strengthen the side and it has to be done now because there's no use talking about it in September after the transfer window closes."

Thompson chose not to comment on what was, or wasn't, said during the phone call, which took place within earshot of reporters. He confirmed he and Brewster - who has won only one match out of 17 since succeeding Gordon Chisholm in January - will meet today to discuss signing targets.

Thompson said: "Craig is one of the few managers who has a bit of money behind him and it is up to the two of us to improve the side."

United are away to Rangers on Saturday and attempts to add to the squad could be made before then. Thompson's relationship with the dressing room has been said to be strained since he asked the players to take wage cuts in 2004.

The departure of three managers - Paul Hegarty, Ian McCall and Chisholm - in three years has also heightened tension.

But Thompson's devotion to the club could never be questioned and now he's about to pour in even more of his own money to prove it.

I am reliably informed that the bid is for Black and Proctor only and is "a significant increase but installments"

1 August 2006

EXCLUSIVE: BREWSTER'S FIGHTING TALK

By Euan Mcarthur

CRAIG BREWSTER last night vowed he's at troubled Tannadice for the long-haul.

The defiant Dundee United boss came out with fighting talk yesterday following the whirlwind events of the past few days.

Brewster held showdown talks with club chairman Eddie Thompson to clear the air after being publicly criticised in the wake of the opening day defeat by Falkirk. Thompson was heard on the phone questioning the manager's role and that of several players in the 2-1 home defeat.

But Brewster insisted he was still 100 per cent committed to restoring the club's battered reputation. He said: "What has happened has happened and we've all now got to move on in the best interests of the club. Despite all the talk after Saturday's game, I'm totally focused on trying to deliver the success the fans want."

Thompson reassured Brewster he has his full support to turn round United's fortunes.

And he's promised his manager a major cash injection so he can strengthen his wafer-thin squad before the transfer window closes.

Thompson said: "Craig will be my manager at the end of the season because we both know there's a long-term job to be done.

"Our relationship is harmonious. There's nothing wrong between us."

Meanwhile, United last night upped the stakes in their fight to land Inverness duo Ian Black and David Proctor. Brewster has made an increased offer to land midfielder Black and full-back Proctor in time for Saturday's SPL trip to Ibrox.

:010: :010:

Tangerines agree fee for left-back

After a weekend of bad results and harsh words, there was good news from Dundee United today as they prepared to greet the first of several promised new signings (writes Tom Duthie).

With Eddie Thompson and Craig Brewster declaring the fallout from the chairman’s verbal attack on tactics and performances in Saturday’s defeat against Falkirk was now in the past, the manager wasted no time in spending some of the extra cash promised to him for transfers.

Late last night, a fee of around £50,000 was agreed for Brann Bergen left-back Christian Kalvenes, an impressive trialist and one of the few successes in the recent pre-season defeat at Dundee.

The 29-year-old, who was recommended by former Tannadice favourite Charlie Miller, is due to arrive in Dundee this evening and will put pen to paper on a two-year contract in time to be paraded at the official club photo-call in the morning.

And, after spending 48 hours dealing with the aftermath of his chairman’s outburst, the manager was pleased to be able to bring some positive news to fans.

“We reached agreement with Brann and have booked Christian on a flight — it is good to get the deal done. I liked what I saw of him when he was over here and I am sure he will fit in well on the left side of the defence,” said Craig.

It was the fact Kalvenes is a defender first and foremost that persuaded Craig to move for him and not attempt to bring the more attack-minded Charlie Mulgrew back from Celtic for another loan period.

“Christian is an out-and-out left-back and that is what we need. We have Barry Robson and Steven Robb, who give us attacking options down that side, and what we needed was the defensive presence he will add,” he explained.

The search for more signings continues, but, after the war of words between Inverness and United last week over targeted trio Darren Dods, Ian Black and David Proctor, Craig was quick to dismiss a report he had tabled fresh bids for the latter pair.

Black and Proctor can both operate in midfield and, while they may not be on their way to Tannadice at the moment, that is an area the manager will look to strengthen — before Saturday’s trip to Rangers if possible and certainly by the time the transfer window closes at the end of the month.

If you had worked your life away to earn a fortune would you squander it on Dundee United?

If the answer is yes, then how about Ian Black for £250,000 plus 50% of any sell on?

Procter is a little cheaper at £150,000 plus sell on!

£50,000 for a 29 year old reserve means these prices are realistic!

More excellent psychological warfare from Brewster. He states in the press that he is interested in taking on Lee Wilkie. This will wind up Dods even more and increase his desire to be an Arab. This will increase his resolve to leave Sneck as well and his agent is bound to exert more pressure on ICT..and Brewster will think that it could lead to a decreased fee. The agents statement is clearly aimed at winding up the supporters as well and increasing the pressure on the ICT management.  :008: :008:

Bye Bye Dodsy.