FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Charlie Christie Wants His Old Job Back

MichaelICT

Most intresting part of the article for me was the fact that 7 of Pele's team are still figuring at SPL level these days. I think we sometimes forget how Patterson built this club up to what it is today (the good bits anyhow)

Charlie you can have it whenever you want!!!

As I've said before I thought Charlie did a good job here, not brilliant but certainly not bad. Some of the comments on here have been ridiculous regarding CC's performance.

Anyone'd be better than Brew atm.

I'm quite surprised to read that Charlie has been all but frozen out in terms of involvement with the First Team.  When Brewster parted company with us to go to United he made a comment that he'd often relied on advice from Charlie as nobody at the club knew the team better than he did.

I don't think it would be any slight on Brewsters character/ego if he was to do that again, in any business it's all about making best use of the tools you have to hand and Charlie is one of the biggest tools......hold on, I don't mean it like that  :029: .....Charlie would be a great asset to the First Team coaching staff, and I don't think he would undermine Brewster in any way.

Glad to read from the article that his experience as Manager for us hasn't put him off the idea of management altogether and I don't think it would do him any harm whatsoever if he was to go out there and manage a Highland League team or something for a couple of seasons and then work his way up.  In fact, with Clach struggling as they are off the park and in desperate need of income/investment, they could do worse than have someone the likes of Christie in charge of the team and increasing the profile of the club a bit.

Glad to read from the article that his experience as Manager for us hasn't put him off the idea of management altogether and I don't think it would do him any harm whatsoever if he was to go out there and manage a Highland League team or something for a couple of seasons and then work his way up.  In fact, with Clach struggling as they are off the park and in desperate need of income/investment, they could do worse than have someone the likes of Christie in charge of the team and increasing the profile of the club a bit.

I think it's a shame he couldn't have been considered for the Number 2 slot here when Donald left....

Presumably our present Number 1 wouldn't have been too impressed with that suggestion.

I cant blame Brew for not having Charlie as his #2 ... it would be a strange state of affairs to have the (immediate) former boss as an assistant to the current boss. Likewise having Pele, Robbo or Sergei (or Brewster) in the frame as an assistant to any future boss would also be strange.

I have a lot of respect for CC and am glad to hear that his first stint has not put him off. I would like to see him at the helm of ICT some time in the future but for now perhaps it is better if he gets all his coaching badges and maybe does a stint managing at a lower level (or even P/T at a HFL club combined with his ICT duties). That way he can hone his skills pretty much out of the public eye and be a better manager if/when he does come back to the hotseat.

Incidentally - to comment on one thing he said in the article .... I saw him for all of 30 seconds when I was down at the stadium and I have to say he DOES look better and far more relaxed than he ever did in pictures when he was ICT boss !!!

Johnboy, I think it would be tough on everyone if Charlie was to have stepped down as manager and then to go into a frontline.  Whether it would have been the case or not, the perception would always have been that one was perhaps undermining the other.  That wouldn't be healthy for the club in any way shape or form.

From reading the article I don't think that's what he wants right now either.  He knows he has certain character traits he needs to work on and if he can do that whilst not being stuck in the public eye then he'll come out of it far better equipped for when his next opportunity comes around.

I always thought that Charlie had the makings of a good coach and still do. However, it may be that he's better suited to being a coach or assistant manager rather than the high profile role of manager of an SPL club.

That said, he is without doubt, in my opinion, a better manager than Craig Brewster.

He blames Bayne for Celtic scoring twice in a minute. No wonder Bayne has had a disappointing season.

Have to say that I thought that was a bit harsh  :015:

Although I'm sure the journalist has used a fair bit of poetic license and not included the entire quote in regard to that one line.

I always thought that Charlie had the makings of a good coach and still do. However, it may be that he's better suited to being a coach or assistant manager rather than the high profile role of manager of an SPL club.

That said, he is without doubt, in my opinion, a better manager than Craig Brewster.

Totally agree there - May I also suggest that "reading between the lines" - this could mean that Charlie is being earmarked fer a coaching post - hopefully an assistant manager post in a new regime.  :014: 

CC was another who was fired into the breech prematurely - the only thing that I find amusing is CC stating that the job wasnt getting to him - even when he had asked to be relieved of his duties twice - that is like CaleyD saying that some posters dont get to him.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Maybe one day Charlie will write a book and all the truth will come out. Charlie Christie was trying to achieve just what Pele had done. He was trying to bring in players at little cost and, knowing people would come and go, trying to bring about continuity and develop younger players whilst maintaining the ethos of the dressing room. I have said it before and I'll say it again. CC was forced out, not by health or marital reasons, but by the problems of the board and being forced to play a player who was not ready to play.